Author Topic: Trump gives Mexico 'one-year' warning for auto tariffs, border shutdown  (Read 12755 times)

Offline QueenCatofAragon

Re: Trump gives Mexico 'one-year' warning for auto tariffs, border shutdown
« Reply #100 on: April 05, 2019, 09:21:04 pm »
With support like this around, Trump don’t need no stinking democrats to bash him. He’s got TBR deadenders.

Anyway, Trump just reported today that ever since he made that threat (giving everyone here the vapors), Mexico has communicated some changes they have made that Trump says is very encouraging.

It’s a good thing we don’t have to rely on you guys to supply negotiating tactics.

@aligncare, if you ever go to a Trump rally, I’m going to be concerned for Donald.  I’m afraid you might rush the stage with an armful of roses.
I say this to Beto fans, Trump fans, all fans of politicians: it is un-American, ridiculous, and dangerous to be a fan of a politician. They aren't pop stars. Support them if you agree with their policies. Criticize them when they go wrong. They are servants, not celebrities. —— Matt Walsh

Offline QueenCatofAragon

« Reply #101 on: April 05, 2019, 09:22:45 pm »
TOS is having a meltdown, and it's the first week of a Freep a Thon. Lot of mad Trumpsters over there, some actually publicly agreeing with Ann Coulter.

@Night Hides Not

Oh, Lord, that might be some cheap entertainment.  Unless all of the threads get pulled.
I say this to Beto fans, Trump fans, all fans of politicians: it is un-American, ridiculous, and dangerous to be a fan of a politician. They aren't pop stars. Support them if you agree with their policies. Criticize them when they go wrong. They are servants, not celebrities. —— Matt Walsh

Offline corbe

« Reply #102 on: April 05, 2019, 09:24:13 pm »
   You'll never catch me at a Trump Rally, too many Cops, can't smoke pot.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #103 on: April 05, 2019, 09:32:03 pm »
@aligncare, if you ever go to a Trump rally, I’m going to be concerned for Donald.  I’m afraid you might rush the stage with an armful of roses.

That’s ridiculous. They won’t be in his arms.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #104 on: April 05, 2019, 10:29:21 pm »
   You'll never catch me at a Trump Rally, too many Cops, can't smoke pot.

You don't want to be blowing too many joints at your age anyhow...  today's weed is very powerful, no telling where it will take you!

Offline corbe

« Reply #105 on: April 05, 2019, 10:45:24 pm »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #106 on: April 05, 2019, 11:29:40 pm »
Yeah, I agree.  Shut it down, for a short time and let's see if Mexico steps up to the plate. 

What do we do if Mexico doesn't move @Sanguine

« Reply #107 on: April 05, 2019, 11:31:32 pm »
@Cyber Liberty

No,he didn't. Reagan agreed to a COMPROMISE with the Dims ... IMHO,he would have never agreed to it if he had of had any idea what the end result was going to be.

And IMHO you can say that about everyone and just about anything.

It's meaningless.   :laugh:

« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 12:03:13 am by Right_in_Virginia »

« Reply #108 on: April 05, 2019, 11:50:37 pm »
Mexico is the pass through entity for the Hondurans, Guatemalans, etc. It isn't just Mexicans, it isn't even just Central Americans, or even South Americans seeking to blend in and cross. Mexico could stop these caravans and turn them around at their border.

@Smokin Joe

I suppose the question that needs to be answered is:  "Which side offers the best prospects for stopping the flow of illegal migrants into the United States: The US Congress or the government of Mexico?" 

Where is our best leverage?  It is fighting Pelosi, Schumer, NTs, Northern RINOS, et al in court against lawsuit after lawsuit to stop building the wall and overrule any EO diminishing catch and release?  Or does a credible threat to the economy of Mexico offer us more opportunity for success?

Remember, one foot over the line and the invaders are here for good. 

The President can't stop this by fiat.  So do we work with Mexico or Congress to keep these illegals off US soil?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #109 on: April 06, 2019, 01:12:29 am »

Turn it up to 11 of course, @Right_in_Virginia.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #110 on: April 06, 2019, 01:37:38 am »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #111 on: April 06, 2019, 01:39:03 am »

Sometimes you just gotta go past 10.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #112 on: April 06, 2019, 01:40:41 am »
@Cyber Liberty

No,he didn't. Reagan agreed to a COMPROMISE with the Dims to limit and regulate the amount of foreigners to cross the border. He agreed to this because he was of a generation where he thought his political opponents were honorable men and women who would keep their word.

IMHO,he would have never agreed to it if he had of had any idea what the end result was going to be.

@sneakypete

He should have known the Rats would renege on the deal.  Heck, I was only 28 and I knew they would, which was why I was so pissed at the time.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #113 on: April 06, 2019, 01:54:27 am »
Yeah, I agree.  Shut it down, for a short time and let's see if Mexico steps up to the plate.

An aside, much of the illegal cross-border traffic does not occur at legal points of entry.  When we say "shut it down", we still have the unsecured part of the border unsecured.

This saying is absolutely true about the border situation "No pain, no gain".  If Trump doesn't do something that puts people in a bind they will not do anything.  Any Mother could tell you too that an empty threat is always a bad idea.  There has to be follow through otherwise the children realize and totaly disregard you.  He's done it so many times.  And the migrants coming to cross illegally have been paying attention.  There is no stopping them.  I imagine they are probably laughing about him.

And he is most probably their favorite person.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 01:55:41 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #114 on: April 06, 2019, 07:46:23 am »
@Smokin Joe

I suppose the question that needs to be answered is:  "Which side offers the best prospects for stopping the flow of illegal migrants into the United States: The US Congress or the government of Mexico?" 

Where is our best leverage?  It is fighting Pelosi, Schumer, NTs, Northern RINOS, et al in court against lawsuit after lawsuit to stop building the wall and overrule any EO diminishing catch and release?  Or does a credible threat to the economy of Mexico offer us more opportunity for success?

Remember, one foot over the line and the invaders are here for good. 

The President can't stop this by fiat.  So do we work with Mexico or Congress to keep these illegals off US soil?
THe harsh reality is that someone is going to have to erect a substantial barrier, enforce it by force of arms, if necessary, and not be to limp wristed to use them. This country doesn't have that sort of resolve, from the top down, and if any of its citizens did display that level of resolve, they'd be the ones in Federal Prison while the illegals went scampering off into the hinterlands (on the US side).

one of the fundamental reasons for the Constitution and the creation of the United States was the mutual defense of the colonies which signed onto the accord. One of the Fundamental DUTIES of the Federal Government is the defense of the States from invasion. Neither is being done, in this case.
Now, it doesn't surprise me one damned bit that those lickspittles in Congress are comfortable with shirking their duties, they've done that for decades. Nor that the politically stacked courts are perfectly happy to invent "rights" for non citizens while they trample those of the people who are citizens of the US. Off and on, we even have a President who pays lit service to the Constitution.

The part I find amazing, considering how much breach of that compact is going on at the Federal Level, is that the States, and indeed, the people themselves put up with this.  Our ancestors would have tarred an feathered the lot, and thrown them in the Potomac by now.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #115 on: April 06, 2019, 07:50:04 am »
ADAM comes to mind, but no one in the US has the balls to use it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

« Reply #116 on: April 06, 2019, 10:55:04 am »
Turn it up to 11 of course, @Right_in_Virginia.

Okay.  May I assume the President can count on your unwavering support if and when "11" crashes part of the US economy @Sanguine

« Reply #117 on: April 06, 2019, 10:55:52 am »
ADAM comes to mind, but no one in the US has the balls to use it.

Yeah, I doubt this option's on the table.   :laugh:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #118 on: April 06, 2019, 01:44:06 pm »
Okay.  May I assume the President can count on your unwavering support if and when "11" crashes part of the US economy @Sanguine

@Right_in_Virginia, as I've stated before, there will be some pain involved in shutting down the open border, some of it economic.  That is a fact and I accept that.  However, the ROI will be great. 

Yes, I unwaveringly support the president doing the right thing and not continuing to waver.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #119 on: April 06, 2019, 01:54:20 pm »
@sneakypete

He should have known the Rats would renege on the deal.  Heck, I was only 28 and I knew they would, which was why I was so pissed at the time.

@Cyber Liberty

Which means you were young and of a generation that learned the Dims could NOT be trusted. Things were different for those who grew up before the 1940's.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline libertybele

« Reply #120 on: April 07, 2019, 12:22:10 am »
@Right_in_Virginia, as I've stated before, there will be some pain involved in shutting down the open border, some of it economic.  That is a fact and I accept that.  However, the ROI will be great. 

Yes, I unwaveringly support the president doing the right thing and not continuing to waver.

I would support the president IF he were to do the right thing, but unfortunately on the border issue, he hasn't done a whole heck of a lot.  Pushing things out a year will prove to be detrimental. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #121 on: April 07, 2019, 12:44:41 am »

@libertybele

That has to be the most gleeful "pissed" I have ever seen.

So....,none of the positive things he has accomplished makes any difference at all?   Yeah,you sure sound impartial.

There is no explanation for it  Even if someone claims he is listening to his advisors,HE is the president and the "decider". He bought it,and now he has to wear it.  Hell,we could have elected JEB,Lady Lindsey,or Cruz if we would be happy with crap like that.

Crap like this will kill ANY chance he has of re-election in 2020,and it's only right if it does because "more of the same" is NOT going to save America.

Meanwhile,please feel free to keep the crocodile tears flowing while you giggle in your hand.

I think that is so unfair of you.  I know that @libertybele is certainly not giggling.  She is just as distraught over the turn of events following the election of Trump as I am.  I know that she has defended Trump many times.  But he has failed.  Or he never intended on doing what he promised to do.  That isn't anything to giggle over.  Even I could have gotten on the Trump train if he was real.  He isn't real.  He is a phony that is self serving.  People can talk about what he gave up to become President.  He hasn't given anything up and when he leaves the office of POTUS he will have left with more business opportunity, and more wealth.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #122 on: April 07, 2019, 02:14:40 am »
I think that is so unfair of you.  I know that @libertybele is certainly not giggling.  She is just as distraught over the turn of events following the election of Trump as I am.  I know that she has defended Trump many times.  But he has failed.  Or he never intended on doing what he promised to do.  That isn't anything to giggle over.  Even I could have gotten on the Trump train if he was real.  He isn't real.  He is a phony that is self serving.  People can talk about what he gave up to become President.  He hasn't given anything up and when he leaves the office of POTUS he will have left with more business opportunity, and more wealth.

I doubt the wealth part.  He's already lost a ton of money because of all the divesting done to punish him for running.  That money isn't going to magically reappear.  He'll be the first recent President to leave office poorer than when he went in.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #123 on: April 07, 2019, 02:26:02 am »
I doubt the wealth part.  He's already lost a ton of money because of all the divesting done to punish him for running.  That money isn't going to magically reappear.  He'll be the first recent President to leave office poorer than when he went in.

He specifically refused to divest, after taking office. Instead, the money is in trust. Furthermore, it’s not a blind trust. He has direct access to the money and paid Cohen from it. Since he’s not divested, there have been issues around ethics and influence, regarding foreign nationals and political groups using his DC hotel.

https://www.reuters.com/article/US-usa-trump-finance-idUSKBN14V21I

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/ct-trump-blind-trust-20170403-story.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2019/04/02/trump-international-hotel-is-scandal-so-are-other-taxpayer-subsidized-hotels/?utm_term=.d05987da231b
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 02:31:06 am by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #124 on: April 07, 2019, 02:39:29 am »

He specifically refused to divest, after taking office. Instead, the money is in trust. Furthermore, it’s not a blind trust. He has direct access to the money and paid Cohen from it. Since he’s not divested, there have been issues around ethics and influence, regarding foreign nationals and political groups using his DC hotel.

https://www.reuters.com/article/US-usa-trump-finance-idUSKBN14V21I

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/ct-trump-blind-trust-20170403-story.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2019/04/02/trump-international-hotel-is-scandal-so-are-other-taxpayer-subsidized-hotels/?utm_term=.d05987da231b

I didn't say HE divested.  His backers did.
I will NOT comply.