Author Topic: Trump gives Mexico 'one-year' warning for auto tariffs, border shutdown  (Read 12536 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump gives Mexico 'one-year' warning for auto tariffs, border shutdown
By Jordan Fabian - 04/04/19 12:41 PM EDT 

President Trump on Thursday issued a fresh ultimatum to Mexico, saying he would slap tariffs on auto imports or close the southern border if it does not stop the flow of drugs into the U.S. within a year.

“You know I will do it,” Trump told reporters in the Cabinet Room. “I don’t play games.”

Trump described the threat as a “one-year warning” for Mexico to tighten its drug interdiction efforts.

The warning comes days after Trump backed off his threat to shut the U.S.-Mexico border this week over illegal immigration.

DEVELOPING

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/437389-trump-gives-mexico-one-year-warning-for-auto-tariffs-border-shutdown
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I guess he's not shutting down the border next week   :shrug:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

I am livid!!!  IMHO it is now to the point that we can't believe a damn thing this President says in regards to the border.  He has threatened, tweeted, ranted, and raved and he has back pedaled every single time!

No, Mr. President, I don't know that you will slap tariffs and shut down the border, because you haven't done anything that you have said that you were going to do!  Yes, you do play games.  Games that are costing us BIGLY!!!!

In a year's time, how many illegals is he going to allow to get through??  This is it.  We have lost and we have lost our Republic as we know her.  God, help us!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Moving the red lines... Obama 2.0

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

**nononono*

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
I had posted this in another thread, but I’ll move it here, since the other subject dealt with updates on Trump tweets. Not closing the border is a good move for OH and MI auto workers.

Wrong.  It would not shut down the auto industry completely.  You are correct you can't change it overnight ... but we have assembly plants that are idle that could again be utilized.  Jobs ... jobs ... jobs. 

Besides that, I don't see shutting down the border as long term, only long enough to curtail the situation till we can make improvements.  I also still see at the end of all this a strong possibility that of a  NAU (North American Union) being created between Mexico, US and Canada.

Thank you for bringing up the USMCA (I didn't even know that was the new label) ... do you have a link, please?  I've been looking for detailed information.

It’s not wrong, because over 1/3 of the assembly line parts come from Mexico facilities. There’s a significant lag time to restart production elsewhere. This move would work out politically and economically the same way the shutdown did.

Roughly 37 percent of the imported parts used on U.S.-made vehicles are imported from Mexico, including critical pieces like the wiring harnesses used on 70 percent of all vehicles assembled in the States.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/02/closing-us-mexico-border-could-bring-the-auto-industry-to-a-halt.html?__source=twitter%7Cmain

“Within a week, we’d have most of the U.S. auto industry shut down,” said Kristin Dziczek, an expert on the economics of the auto industry at the Center for Automotive Research, a nonprofit think tank based in Michigan.

“Everybody is on board that this would be very devastating. It’s not an industry that you can turn the switch on and off and no damage would be done. It’s not a light switch,” she added, warning that it could contribute to an economic downturn. “Economic recoveries don’t die of old age; they die of policy mistakes — and this is the biggest mistake I can think of.”

https://www.politico.com/amp/story/2019/04/02/trump-aides-border-shutdown-disaster-1249828

As far as the USMCA goes, the links are plentiful. Here’s one from the government.

https://ustr.gov/trade-agreements/free-trade-agreements/united-states-mexico-canada-agreement
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline ABX

Next week was supposed to be this week.

Be made the threat last week.

Offline Victoria33

In a year's time, how many illegals is he going to allow to get through??  This is it.  We have lost and we have lost our Republic as we know her.  God, help us!
@libertybele

This is true.

Offline ABX

"a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing..." - Shakespeare

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
 **nononono*
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline libertybele

Re: Trump gives Mexico 'one-year' warning for auto tariffs, border shutdown
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2019, 08:19:57 pm »
...hmm... silence from the staunch Trump support crowd.  Waiting patiently for them to weigh in on this one. Very difficult to refute that he has FAILED bigly on this issue.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2019, 08:23:21 pm »
BIG mistake.

Mexico will figure,with the aid of Dims whispering in their ears,that  there is no need for them to pay attention to this because by the time a year ends Trump will be in re-election mode,and all his advisors will tell him to drop it.

They will also be bombing Republicans up for election to withdraw any support from Trump if they want to get re-elected.

The time to do it is NOW,so that by the time the elections roll around there will be a record to point out showing that it works.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2019, 08:26:34 pm »
...hmm... silence from the staunch Trump support crowd.  Waiting patiently for them to weigh in on this one. Very difficult to refute that he has FAILED bigly on this issue.

@libertybele

We are just allowing Party People like you get your little happy dances out of the way before we chime in.

Can't wait for you to splain to me how Cruz,Romney,or any of the other usual suspects would have handled it.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2019, 08:27:08 pm »
His 'walk-back' is being reported by other news sources as well.  This makes him look very weak, and wishy-washy.  So, why would Mexico, take him seriously??  Why should the American people take him seriously??  Meanwhile the invasion continues.  So, apparently Trump isn't even taking the issue seriously.     9999hair out0000   888mouth

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/04/04/border-trump-says-he-delay-sealing-off-southern-border-year/3353761002/

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-gives-mexico-a-one-year-warning-to-stop-drugs-migrants-or-he-will-tax-cars-and-close-border

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-retreats-on-threat-to-close-mexican-border-offering-a-one-year-warning/ar-BBVCMSR

ttps://www.cnn.com/2019/04/03/politics/white-house-changing-rhetoric-border-closures/index.html

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2019, 08:28:36 pm »
@libertybele

We are just allowing Party People like you get your little happy dances out of the way before we chime in.

Can't wait for you to splain to me how Cruz,Romney,or any of the other usual suspects would have handled it.

It doesn't matter how someone else would or would not have handled it.  Trump is the president and we're talking about how Trump is not handling it.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2019, 08:34:08 pm »
A complete screwup.

Trump better find and listen to an adviser that tells him to stop with all the boasting, bluffing, and the rest of the BS if he wants to be re-elected in 2020.

For many people the jig is up on this crap.

Lately reality has a pretty mild acquaintance with what comes out of his mouth and thumbs.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2019, 08:35:24 pm »
@libertybele

Are you kidding me??? Happy dance???? I am pizzed as hell.  I am furious.  Cruz and Romney are not President, Trump is.  Deflecting the issue to them doesn't accomplish jack squat and is quite absurd and indicates Trump supporters don't have a leg to stand on.  So tell me ... how do you explain this of Trump?  How do you not see this as utter and complete FAILURE on his part??  He promised a wall which we don't have.  He shutdown the government which accomplished nothing.  He signed a bad bill allowing states to opt out of a barrier. Then he declared a national emergency and did nothing.  He threatened to close the border and now pushed that out an entire year.

Yes ... please chime in.... I really am all ears.  IF Senator Cruz or Senator Romney or anyone else has some input now on how to straighten out Trump's screw up, I hope that they would come forward!!

Offline EdJames

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2019, 08:45:28 pm »
Trump is playing a dangerous game.

He is trying to be "all things to all people."  That never works out.

His overtures to the "left," most likely coming from the minds of Jarvanka, are not going to be enough to attract Dem voters in 2020.

And the more that he falls down on his key pledges (like building a wall and FIXING the out of control illegal immigration and asylum issues) he is making many of his 2016 voters awfully discouraged.  Most will likely still pull the lever for him in 2020, but they are certainly not inspired to work for the campaign or pony up donations.  The only nuts that are still "MAGA Trump" (and even more embarrassing are the "GEOTUS" sickos) are the poor souls still falling for the Q hoax.  Once that gives way "disillusioned" will be an overly mild description for them.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2019, 09:04:31 pm »

His overtures to the "left," most likely coming from the minds of Jarvanka, are not going to be enough to attract Dem voters in 2020.

And the more that he falls down on his key pledges (like building a wall and FIXING the out of control illegal immigration and asylum issues) he is making many of his 2016 voters awfully discouraged.  Most will likely still pull the lever for him in 2020, but they are certainly not inspired to work for the campaign or pony up donations.  The only nuts that are still "MAGA Trump" (and even more embarrassing are the "GEOTUS" sickos) are the poor souls still falling for the Q hoax.  Once that gives way "disillusioned" will be an overly mild description for them.

All that you say is true, but I once again believe that he never truly intended to build a wall.  That was never his intent.  As I stated early on during his campaign, he considered his run for President when he saw an opening because of a very disgruntled populace because of the issue of an unsecured border.  Along with that he saw an opportunity to make a tremendous amount of money.  He was able to sell himself because of his supposed disconnect from D.C., though he ran in the same circle as the Clintons which was ignored.  I also believe that his other mission was to make sure that a true conservative (Cruz) was not seated with the help of various entities. The 'wall' and curtailing illegal immigration was all that mattered to his 'crowd' and he sold them a bill of goods.

He waits just days before the new Congress is sworn in to make the wall an issue.  Not only do we not get a wall, he signs a bill allowing states to opt out of a barrier .... you know the rest of the story  of course ... nope, he never intended to secure the border or build a wall.  What we are witnessing today is proof. 

Indeed.  I believe I was correct in stating that it was absolute lunacy to give one of the most wealthiest men in the world the keys to the Kingdom....he's setting up things for him, his family and cronies to make a fortune.  Wait and see.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 09:05:21 pm by libertybele »

Offline ABX

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2019, 09:08:16 pm »
Notice this new red line in the sand puts it right smack dab in election season which means nothing will be done other than a lot of hot air telling you something must be done and hoping you forget nothing was done.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2019, 09:14:32 pm »
Notice this new red line in the sand puts it right smack dab in election season which means nothing will be done other than a lot of hot air telling you something must be done and hoping you forget nothing was done.

...and how quickly he tried to change the focus to Bammycare...but he even pushed that out till after the election.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2019, 09:31:24 pm »

No, Trump is maneuvering to get the results he wants and that America needs. The same way he’s maneuvered through negotiations his entire business life. Carrot and stick. He hopes to achieve his goals through the least disruptive actions and with the cooperation of our neighbors to the south, first. If this doesn’t work there are other options.

Trump’s approach has shown to work in renegotiating trade with China, so let’s see how it plays out with Mexico and their responsibilities at the border. Using enough economic pressure, Mexico will eventually see things the president’s way.

Offline EdJames

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2019, 09:31:24 pm »
All that you say is true, but I once again believe that he never truly intended to build a wall.  That was never his intent.  As I stated early on during his campaign, he considered his run for President when he saw an opening because of a very disgruntled populace because of the issue of an unsecured border.  Along with that he saw an opportunity to make a tremendous amount of money.  He was able to sell himself because of his supposed disconnect from D.C., though he ran in the same circle as the Clintons which was ignored.  I also believe that his other mission was to make sure that a true conservative (Cruz) was not seated with the help of various entities. The 'wall' and curtailing illegal immigration was all that mattered to his 'crowd' and he sold them a bill of goods.

He waits just days before the new Congress is sworn in to make the wall an issue.  Not only do we not get a wall, he signs a bill allowing states to opt out of a barrier .... you know the rest of the story  of course ... nope, he never intended to secure the border or build a wall.  What we are witnessing today is proof. 

Indeed.  I believe I was correct in stating that it was absolute lunacy to give one of the most wealthiest men in the world the keys to the Kingdom....he's setting up things for him, his family and cronies to make a fortune.  Wait and see.

I will have to let the history yet to be written inform me of this.

Personally, I can't always discern motives nor intent from everyone that I actually have a close, in-person relationship with.  Trying to understand motives and intent of a public figure that I have no in-person contact with is a bridge too far for me.

Offline EdJames

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2019, 09:39:57 pm »
No, Trump is maneuvering to get the results he wants and that America needs. The same way he’s maneuvered through negotiations his entire business life. Carrot and stick. He hopes to achieve his goals through the least disruptive actions and with the cooperation of our neighbors to the south, first. If this doesn’t work there are other options.

Trump’s approach has shown to work in renegotiating trade with China, so let’s see how it plays out with Mexico and their responsibilities at the border. Using enough economic pressure, Mexico will eventually see things the president’s way.

Sorry friend but I can't agree.  "His entire business life" is not applicable to the issues and negotiations that he is confronted with now.  The global stage is far bigger than any deal or property that he may have negotiated in the past.

The economic consequences and the number of players and moving parts are at least an order of magnitude greater. 

I don't know the results of Trump's approach to trade negotiations with China, no one does yet.

Trump seems to be reluctant to apply the level of economic leverage that he has on Mexico, at least thus far.  And "eventually" just doesn't cut it in this case.

Through no fault of Trump's, the situation on the Southern border and our weak/lame immigration and asylum policies cast decades before have yielded a crisis of monumental proportions prior to his election.  If he was a magician and was able to muster the full force of the federal government (with all of the requisite funding and legislative and judicial support) from January of 2017 to solve this problem, we would still just be scratching the surface of it.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2019, 10:38:57 pm »
Are you kidding me??? Happy dance???? I am pizzed as hell.  I am furious.  Cruz and Romney are not President, Trump is.

@libertybele

That has to be the most gleeful "pissed" I have ever seen.

Deflecting the issue to them doesn't accomplish jack squat and is quite absurd and indicates Trump supporters don't have a leg to stand on.

So....,none of the positive things he has accomplished makes any difference at all?   Yeah,you sure sound impartial.

So tell me ... how do you explain this of Trump?  How do you not see this as utter and complete FAILURE on his part?? 

There is no explanation for it  Even if someone claims he is listening to his advisors,HE is the president and the "decider". He bought it,and now he has to wear it.  Hell,we could have elected JEB,Lady Lindsey,or Cruz if we would be happy with crap like that.

Crap like this will kill ANY chance he has of re-election in 2020,and it's only right if it does because "more of the same" is NOT going to save America.

Meanwhile,please feel free to keep the crocodile tears flowing while you giggle in your hand.