Author Topic: CNN Host Presses Comey On Why He Failed To “Shut Down” Trump’s Campaign Statements As Hate Speech  (Read 169 times)

rangerrebew

CNN Host Presses Comey On Why He Failed To “Shut Down” Trump’s Campaign Statements As Hate Speech
CNN Screenshot

There was a chilling moment on CNN this week in an interview of former FBI Director James Comey, by CNN’s Christiane Amanpour. In the middle of the interview, Amanpour asked Comey if he had wished the FBI “shut down” President Donald Trump’s “hate speech” during the 2016 presidential election. Next week I will be debating an advocate of such speech codes and the criminalization of hate speech at Rice University. This was a particularly revealing moment as one of the top personalities at CNN pressed the former head of the FBI on why he did not simply shutdown Trump’s speeches as hate speech. Amanpour has been an outspoken critic of Trump but this reflect more of the diminishing European view of free speech.

https://jonathanturley.org/2019/04/03/cnn-host-presses-comey-on-why-he-failed-to-shut-down-trumps-campaign-statements-as-hate-speech/

Offline Victoria33

@rangerrebew

The article says, "CNN has done nothing to correct the record that Amanpour’s chillingly anti-free speech message was not shared by the network."

I know about Christiane Amanpour's life and not surprised she asked that question.  She is normally overseas and is emerged in overseas government's methods of governing.  She has been a major liberal all her life; she was a close friend of John Kennedy when both were in college together.

I also saw that interview.  She asked that one question to Comey, why didn't he shut down Trump's speech.  That could happen in the foreign countries where she has been.  Comey answered the question, explained he could not do that, and that was that.  Trying to make a big deal out of one question is ridiculous.