Author Topic: Dems formally ask for Trump's tax returns  (Read 893 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Dems formally ask for Trump's tax returns
« on: April 03, 2019, 10:43:12 pm »
Dems formally ask for Trump's tax returns
By Naomi Jagoda - 04/03/19 06:03 PM EDT

House Democrats have formally requested copies of President Trump’s tax returns, taking action on one of their top oversight priorities.

Ways and Means Committee Chairman Richard Neal (D-Mass.) sent a letter to IRS Commissioner Charles Rettig requesting six years of Trump’s personal and business tax returns, from 2013-2018, by April 10.

“The IRS has a policy of auditing the tax returns of all sitting presidents and vice-presidents, yet little is known about the effectiveness of this program," Neal said in a statement Wednesday. "On behalf of the American people, the Ways and Means Committee must determine if that policy is being followed, and, if so, whether these audits are conducted fully and appropriately."

"In order to fairly make that determination, we must obtain President Trump’s tax returns and review whether the IRS is carrying out its responsibilities," he added. "The Committee has a duty to examine whether Congressional action may be needed to require such audits, and to oversee that they are conducted properly."

more
https://thehill.com/policy/finance/434567-dems-formally-ask-for-trumps-tax-returns
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Dems formally ask for Trump's tax returns
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 10:45:53 pm »
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 11:27:23 pm »
Trump reacts to Dem request for tax returns: 'Is that all?'
By Brett Samuels - 04/03/19 06:49 PM EDT

President Trump on Wednesday downplayed a move by House Democrats to secure six years of his personal and business tax returns, the latest escalation in the party's efforts to probe the president's administration, campaign and business.

“Is that all?" Trump responded when notified Democrats had asked for six years of returns. "Usually it’s 10 so I guess they’re giving up."

The president told reporters in the Cabinet Room that he would not voluntarily release his tax returns, insisting that he remains under audit.

“We’re under audit despite what people said, and we’re working that out," Trump said. "I’m always under audit it seems. But I’ve been under audit for many years because the numbers are big, and I guess when you have a name you’re audited."

House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Richard Neal (D-Mass.) on Wednesday evening formally requested copies of six years of Trump’s personal and business tax returns, covering 2013 to 2018. Neal set a deadline of April 10 for the IRS to turn over the documents.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/437273-trump-reacts-to-dem-request-for-tax-returns-is-that-all
Support the USO

Online corbe

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 11:40:06 pm »
 :taz:
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 02:48:01 am »
Dangerous precedent. Your could be next.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 02:58:30 am »
If the IRS thought there was anything illegal in his returns they would have gone after him.  This is bad.

Online libertybele

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 03:13:00 am »
I'm still trying to figure out what they hope to accomplish by getting his tax returns?  It will show income, tax deductions and contributions. He hasn't taken a salary since he became POTUS.

Secondly, they are requesting 6 years, which is absolutely absurd.  The IRS recommends keeping a typical tax return for 3 years. 

Are they requesting his personal return or returns on his businesses? 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online corbe

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 04:16:18 am »
   There are two things in his Tax Returns that he has spent tremendous political capital to conceal.

1.  He ain't worth HALF of what he claims
   2.  He's as cheap as the Clintons donating used underwear to Charity

One would be a devastating blow to his ego #two would expose his shallow love for humanity. 
   Though neither would effect his base.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2019, 05:31:56 am »
   There are two things in his Tax Returns that he has spent tremendous political capital to conceal.

1.  He ain't worth HALF of what he claims

If that was true $130,000 whore, politician, and mob payoffs would be harder to conceal.

Offline dancer

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 07:12:33 am »
I know how Trump made his money.  I'd like to see the tax returns of the Senators and Reps.  How is it that they all go into office poor and end of millionaires.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2019, 11:29:18 am »
I know how Trump made his money.  I'd like to see the tax returns of the Senators and Reps.  How is it that they all go into office poor and end of millionaires.

888high58888  @dancer

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2019, 11:36:35 am »
You know... why is he claiming this "under audit" business? He has been "under audit" since at least 2016. After a certain point, that is hard to buy. While it's ridiculous for the Democrats to go personal like this and dig into someone's tax returns, he should just tell the truth about why he doesn't want to give them up.

Offline Frandia

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2019, 11:48:38 am »
There's nothing there. The IRS would have been all over him. Don't forget that Trump appointed a new head of the IRS in Oct 2018. I suspect he isn't worth what he claims and that's why he won't release them.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2019, 02:13:25 pm »
You know... why is he claiming this "under audit" business? He has been "under audit" since at least 2016. After a certain point, that is hard to buy. While it's ridiculous for the Democrats to go personal like this and dig into someone's tax returns, he should just tell the truth about why he doesn't want to give them up.

I don't agree.  Why should he have to?  Unless the IRS is pursuing him for something illegal, why should he have to?

I agree I'm curious and would like to know what he appears to be hiding, but that doesn't mean he has to satisfy my curiosity.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2019, 02:32:50 pm »
I'm still trying to figure out what they hope to accomplish by getting his tax returns?  It will show income, tax deductions and contributions. He hasn't taken a salary since he became POTUS.

Secondly, they are requesting 6 years, which is absolutely absurd.  The IRS recommends keeping a typical tax return for 3 years. 

Are they requesting his personal return or returns on his businesses?

The Dems believe he has and still is violating the Emoluments Clause and that he and his companies are profiting from foreign policy decisions.  They think this is the new way to "get" him.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2019, 02:34:57 pm »
He should turn them over after and ONLY after Congress releases the names of the Congressmen who used OUR tax dollars to pay off sexual abuse and harassment complaints brought against them. Til then Trump should tell Congress to pound sand.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2019, 02:35:02 pm »
On behalf of every American taxpayer I say to Congress:  None of your damn business.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2019, 02:35:39 pm »
He should turn them over after and ONLY after Congress releases the names of the Congressmen who used OUR tax dollars to pay off sexual abuse and harassment complaints brought against them. Til then Trump should tell Congress to pound sand.

:thumbsup:

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2019, 02:52:15 pm »
If the administration chooses to either not fight this or is ordered to comply or wants to comply it should establish the following procedure:

The tax return and all related materials, including relevant regulations, IRS publications, applicable laws, any audits, supporting documentation (and somewhere in that pile) the actual return, will be provided at a secure location.  No recording devices will be allowed in to the room including note pads.  Further, only the chairman will be allowed to view the files.  In order to assure that no recordings are made and that no paper is taken, two IRS agents will be guarding the material at all times.  The chairman will be able to view the files during business hours only.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2019, 03:34:25 pm »
So Congress' reasoning for wanting his returns is akin to a 'health and safety inspection' ruse, because they want to make sure that the IRS is conducting their supposed audit policy of the President correctly.

Considering the IRS does audits all the time, what would make Congress think they would suddenly be so incompetent that they would need oversight to audit the President's returns (and appaerntly only his returns)?

Who are they kidding?

« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 07:51:08 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2019, 05:03:40 pm »
Support the USO

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2019, 06:48:42 pm »
I don't agree.  Why should he have to?  Unless the IRS is pursuing him for something illegal, why should he have to?

I agree I'm curious and would like to know what he appears to be hiding, but that doesn't mean he has to satisfy my curiosity.

Just say it's his own business and that's that. Why invent this audit business crap? It's ridiculous to claim a perpetual audit.

Offline berdie

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2019, 08:33:36 pm »

I couldn't agree more!!

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2019, 08:37:31 pm »
The answer should roundly be 'No,' followed with 'Take me to SCOTUS.'
The Republic is lost.