Author Topic: ‘The Wise Are Running for Their Lives’: Venezuela Simmers With Violence as Putin Sends in Russian Tr  (Read 394 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
‘The Wise Are Running for Their Lives’: Venezuela Simmers With Violence as Putin Sends in Russian Troops

Putin saved Assad in Syria. Can he save Maduro in Venezuela? It’s starting to look that way.

Annika Hernroth-Rothstein
04.02.19 4:51 AM ET

CARACAS, Venezuela—“I’m ready to die for this. I’m 56 years old and I was born to have my blood shed for this country, but I don’t want this to be your death, as it may be so many others in the coming months. I want you to get out but I know you won’t so I will do everything I can to protect you.”

We’re in the car, my bodyguard José and I, trying our best to make our way through a Caracas under complete blackout. The streets are eerily empty but as always here in Venezuela, the quiet is dangerous and José’s head is on a constant swivel, his almond eyes focused on everything but me.

The Russians have just arrived in Venezuela. Nicolás Maduro’s Eastern ally sent tons of military equipment and two planes carrying at least 100 Russian troops to touch down at Caracas airport as tensions in this fractured country rise to the point of no return. Having seen the images of these foreign soldiers lining up at the airport, saluting their Venezuelan colleagues, José and I are discussing what comes next—not only for the country but for us, the team that has been working together for almost two months.

Read more at: https://www.thedailybeast.com/venezuela-simmers-with-violence-as-putin-sends-in-russian-troops-the-wise-are-running-for-their-lives

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

https://twitter.com/truthandfiction

She's a trooper alright; I don't know her views on a lot of issues, they may well be liberal but I do know, she is out on a risky assignment and does seem to be brave.

As for Venezuela, really,  so much wealth is at risk though, obviously, the economy is floundering and there is real concern about the forces in play there,  namely the Russians and Cubans.

Offline thackney

Russia opens military helicopter training centre in Venezuela
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/04/02/russia-opens-military-helicopter-training-centre-venezuela/

Russia has opened a centre to train military helicopter pilots in Venezuela in a further sign of Vladimir Putin's support for the regime of Nicolas Maduro.

The news comes days after Moscow sent two planes of military personnel and equipment to Venezuela.

Rosoboronexport, the state corporation for arms sales, said in a statement it built the centre under a contract with Venezuelan state-owned firearms manufacturer CAVIM.

Russian-made simulators will allow local pilots to practice flying helicopters that Moscow has supplied to Caracas. These include the Mil Mi-35M Hind, a gunship known in Russia as the “flying tank” for its durability under fire, the Mi-26T heavy transport helicopter and the Mi-17V-5, a transport helicopter that can be equipped with machine guns and rockets....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

Chinese army arrives in Venezuela just days after the Russian miltary
https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/chinese-army-arrives-in-venezuela-just-days-after-the-russian-miltary/

A group of Chinese soldiers arrived in Venezuela on Sunday as part of a cooperation program between Beijing and Caracas.

According to reports, more than 120 soldiers from the Chinese People’s Liberation Army arrived at Venezuela’s Margarita Island to deliver humanitarian aid and military supplies to the government forces....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
The Russians are there because we didn't have the common sense or strategic insight to get there ahead of them.

Same goes for the Chinese.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Annika Rothstein, She left Venezuela for a few days and now, they won't let her back in:

Annika H Rothstein
‏Verified account @truthandfiction
7h7 hours ago

I’m now sitting on the plane, crying. They took my passport and I don’t know where my things are. Nor do I know if I’ll ever be able to come back to #Venezuela
All I was trying to do was show this country to the world, with love and honesty and passion and I was thrown out.
491 replies 2,508 retweets 2,636 likes

https://twitter.com/truthandfiction/status/1118968353178161152

Check her twitter for more.

Blessing in disguise to me. She could have had worse happen to her. Seems like a good person.

Her speech to that Venezuelan legislature with translator is one of the most amazing speeches I've seen. I think it's her experiences that are amazing.

I mean, if she is telling the truth, she's lucky to be alive.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 03:03:16 am by TomSea »