Author Topic: The new minimum wage is killing NYC’s once-thriving restaurant scene  (Read 1589 times)

Offline mountaineer

In other news, the sun rose in the east this morning.
The new minimum wage is killing NYC’s once-thriving restaurant scene
By Gregory Bresiger
March 30, 2019

New York City restaurants are eliminating jobs, reducing employee hours and raising prices due to the higher costs of the $15/hour minimum wage.

A once-growing industry is contracting, according to an online survey conducted by the New York City Hospitality Alliance, an association representing restaurants in the city.

Last year, “full-service restaurants recorded a 1.6 percent job loss, which is the first recorded annual loss in two decades,” said Andrew Rigie, executive director of the trade group.

The survey also said about a third of respondents will eliminate jobs and most will raise prices this year because of the new $15-an-hour law backed by Gov. Cuomo and other state officials, which took effect on Dec. 31, 2018. ...
Rest of story at NY Post
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Not just the city, either.

Known for its make-your-own pizza, salad and pasta menu, (Mercato of Olean) did not generate the traffic hoped for by the ownership and management.

“It just wasn’t working out — it wasn’t making financial sense, it was really inconsistent business,” Murray said, adding a minimum wage increase added to the pressure. “It’s just sad.”

http://www.oleantimesherald.com/news/mercato-of-olean-shutters-after-eight-months/article_94f9b9da-5501-11e9-b924-1bc08fea45f7.html
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mountaineer

Meanwhile, AOC complains about a $7 croissant at LGA (they really cost less than $4, I've heard) as proof workers can't feed themselves on only $15 per hour. Or something.  22222frying pan
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
I was a waitress and made $2.11 an hour. If I hustled I could make over $25 an hour or morer in tips sometimes as much as $200 for five hours. Granted it was a diner. Not fine dining.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I already used my Captain Louis Renault GIF on another topic today...
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Rivergirl

Personal observation.    We live in a high rise overlooking the Hudson, overlooking NYC.
Another reason for  restaurants losing business is not only the min. wage effect.   The job market for the middle class is practically non existent.   Our area known as the Gold Coast has many vacant apartments and many stores having gone out of business.  Unable to find employment many have moved out of the area.  NJ is losing residents as is NY.   
Something else at work...……...food deliveries are all the rage.  Either Blue Apron types or deliveries from local restaurants and it's not just pizza deliveries anymore.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Excellent news. I wish every business in NYC would fail,but only if we could build a fence around it first to keep them out of America.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
The Cuomo's know best.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I already used my Captain Louis Renault GIF on another topic today...

Yes, but unfortunately that one never goes out of style.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I was a waitress and made $2.11 an hour. If I hustled I could make over $25 an hour or morer in tips sometimes as much as $200 for five hours. Granted it was a diner. Not fine dining.

Still, even in today's dollars that's some sweet coin.
The Republic is lost.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I find this hilarious except of course for the workers getting screwed. I hope de Blasio and all his little liberal sychophants keep getting kicked in the teeth by reality and economics.
The Republic is lost.