State Chapters > NY/NJ

The new minimum wage is killing NYC’s once-thriving restaurant scene

(1/3) > >>

mountaineer:
In other news, the sun rose in the east this morning.
--- Quote ---The new minimum wage is killing NYC’s once-thriving restaurant scene
By Gregory Bresiger
March 30, 2019

New York City restaurants are eliminating jobs, reducing employee hours and raising prices due to the higher costs of the $15/hour minimum wage.

A once-growing industry is contracting, according to an online survey conducted by the New York City Hospitality Alliance, an association representing restaurants in the city.

Last year, “full-service restaurants recorded a 1.6 percent job loss, which is the first recorded annual loss in two decades,” said Andrew Rigie, executive director of the trade group.

The survey also said about a third of respondents will eliminate jobs and most will raise prices this year because of the new $15-an-hour law backed by Gov. Cuomo and other state officials, which took effect on Dec. 31, 2018. ...
--- End quote ---
Rest of story at NY Post

jmyrlefuller:
Not just the city, either.

--- Quote ---Known for its make-your-own pizza, salad and pasta menu, (Mercato of Olean) did not generate the traffic hoped for by the ownership and management.

“It just wasn’t working out — it wasn’t making financial sense, it was really inconsistent business,” Murray said, adding a minimum wage increase added to the pressure. “It’s just sad.”
--- End quote ---

http://www.oleantimesherald.com/news/mercato-of-olean-shutters-after-eight-months/article_94f9b9da-5501-11e9-b924-1bc08fea45f7.html

mountaineer:
Meanwhile, AOC complains about a $7 croissant at LGA (they really cost less than $4, I've heard) as proof workers can't feed themselves on only $15 per hour. Or something.  22222frying pan

Gefn:
I was a waitress and made $2.11 an hour. If I hustled I could make over $25 an hour or morer in tips sometimes as much as $200 for five hours. Granted it was a diner. Not fine dining.

Cyber Liberty:
I already used my Captain Louis Renault GIF on another topic today...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version