Author Topic: Trump threatens to close border 'next week' if Mexico doesn't 'immediately stop' flood of illegal im  (Read 7748 times)

Offline libertybele

Well, THIS week is here.  Waiting patiently to see what happens (if anything).
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Well, THIS week is here.  Waiting patiently to see what happens (if anything).
I caught some whinging on FOX about how it'd be too expensive to close the border.

Mexico needs to close theirs instead of being the pass through entity for this invasion. If it takes an economic hit to get Mexico's attention, do it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline libertybele

I caught some whinging on FOX about how it'd be too expensive to close the border.

Mexico needs to close theirs instead of being the pass through entity for this invasion. If it takes an economic hit to get Mexico's attention, do it.

Well, we have a lot of hot air and threats coming from Trump, but his inaction continues to speak volumes.  (I know here come the arrows and poison darts from his staunch supporters).

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline bilo

Well, we have a lot of hot air and threats coming from Trump, but his inaction continues to speak volumes.  (I know here come the arrows and poison darts from his staunch supporters).

It is a legitimate criticism. He did the same thing with wall funding. In the end the pentagon found over 12 billion, now he just has to get it built. Closing the border is going to cause real problems for a lot of businesses and will hurt the economy, but in the end he has got to follow through.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline libertybele

It is a legitimate criticism. He did the same thing with wall funding. In the end the pentagon found over 12 billion, now he just has to get it built. Closing the border is going to cause real problems for a lot of businesses and will hurt the economy, but in the end he has got to follow through.

The longer he waits the worse its getting. 

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
It will hurt Mexico more, percentage wise, and the Mexican Government has failed to secure its borders, instead choosing to act as a pass through entity for the invaders. If they'd do their part, these Salvadorans, Guatemalans, Nicaraguans, etc. would not be showing up on our doorstep.

A spanking is in order.

If the Cartels are running their show, it'll slow down their trade too.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil

Why does he say this stuff?  You would think that he would know the cost before he opens his mouth. 
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline corbe

Noone has a clue @Chosen Daughter
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline libertybele

Noone has a clue @Chosen Daughter

It's quite amazing that so many people are still oblivious to the situation or are in denial.

The problem is here.  It's not going to go away on its own.  There has been several confirmations that there is indeed a crisis at the border, yet, here we sit. Still nothing is being done.   9999hair out0000

Offline Victoria33

@libertybele

The latest tonight, 11:26 pm is, White House says Trump won't close border until he sees what happens this week.  He goes to the border this coming Friday.

Offline libertybele

@libertybele

The latest tonight, 11:26 pm is, White House says Trump won't close border until he sees what happens this week.  He goes to the border this coming Friday.

Thanks for that information.  So, in other words, he's pushing closing the border out another week.  What is he waiting to see?  How many thousands more will border patrol let in??  How many more caravans can form and be headed our way?  Hopefully he truly doesn't believe that Mexico is actually going to do something. 

IMHO, he has absolutely no intention of closing the border.  He declared a national emergency now, how long ago??

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
We are officially past a week from the original goalpost.

Offline Victoria33

@ABX

It appears he has put off closing the border for a year, giving Mexico a year to deal with drugs.  Maybe the illegal crossings are also being put off for a year as he hasn't talked about closing the border since he gave the one year speech.  Or, he will close it tomorrow.....

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Quit talking about it,and DO IT,you freaking gasbag!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
How about the wall, and NOT shoot them dead?

@truth_seeker

How about BOTH,if need be?

Offline bilo

It will hurt Mexico more, percentage wise, and the Mexican Government has failed to secure its borders, instead choosing to act as a pass through entity for the invaders. If they'd do their part, these Salvadorans, Guatemalans, Nicaraguans, etc. would not be showing up on our doorstep.

A spanking is in order.

If the Cartels are running their show, it'll slow down their trade too.

I completely agree.

It's frustrating to watch Trump threaten to take action and then not follow through. He finally pushed forward on the wall funding when it became clear he would lose his base if he didn't. Trump is such a breath of fresh air in so many ways. If he's asked a question he answers it, but his follow through lags. Is it because he doesn't have enough support from within the Pub party, or that he is so ahead of the curve he has to wait for others to catch up? I don't know, maybe it's a combination of both.

I do know we are better off with Trump than not. I liked Cruz a lot more, didn't trust Trump, but he has pretty much stayed true to what he said he would do if elected.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Let me say first that I'm a Trump supporter.

But I'm tired of talk like this.
That is to say, threats that aren't backed up by action.

Don't talk, Mr. Trump.
JUST DO IT.

Send the troops (tens of thousands, whatever you can scrape together) down there en masse.

CLOSE the border with the statement that it will REMAIN closed (including all commercial and private traffic, including trucks and trains) until a better system of control can be put into place.

ORDER the Army to begin building "a barrier" as an aid to enforcement.

But just STOP TALKING and START DOING SOMETHING.

We can't survive this much longer.

@Fishrrman

Yeah,that. ALL of it. It will probably hurt our economy a little for a week or two,but it will hurt Mexico more,and you can bet they will start culling out the illegals for it in order to get it opened again.

There ain't no such thing in the world as a free lunch. Ask the chicken you just ate if you don't believe me. EVERYTHING has a cost,and we need to stop this nonsense before the cost gets even higher and completely destroys our economy.

Offline bilo

Why does he say this stuff?  You would think that he would know the cost before he opens his mouth.

I don't think so. He's obviously very bright. He's spent his whole life changing the environment around him by shear will. He's built buildings and resorts all over the world even though he always had opposition. I hope he doesn't change though. It's very frustrating, but he has done more to raise the issue of immigration and the need for a major overhaul, not just a wall, than the previous 4 presidents combined.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
As if Boeing didnt have enough worries.  Insulation blankets for the MAX among other parts come from Mexico.  Many industries rely on suppliers in Mexico.

@NavyCanDo

So what? Are you saying corporate profits are more important than national sovereignty? 

Closing down the borders to illegal aliens does NOT mean we have to close them down to legitimate users,like businesses. These businesses can ship and receive their goods via tractor-trailer shipments,which the border patrol can easily scan for illegal aliens or drugs.

Passenger vehicles that deliver Mexican workers to the US each day can be issued permits for the windshield that can be scanned to insure they aren't counterfeited,and the workers in them can display their ID's and permits. So it slows the process down some. So what?

You do NOT have to throw out the baby with the bathwater. The left is just trying to confuse this issue so they don't lose future welfare parasites that vote Dim.

Offline bilo

@Fishrrman

Yeah,that. ALL of it. It will probably hurt our economy a little for a week or two,but it will hurt Mexico more,and you can bet they will start culling out the illegals for it in order to get it opened again.

There ain't no such thing in the world as a free lunch. Ask the chicken you just ate if you don't believe me. EVERYTHING has a cost,and we need to stop this nonsense before the cost gets even higher and completely destroys our economy.

It will hurt a lot more than most people realize. It's probably why he hasn't had more support from Pub Senators.

All that being said, I still would like to see him follow through. We can't take in an unending flow of people who come with no skills and no desire to become an asset to the country, or a part of it.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
It will hurt a lot more than most people realize. It's probably why he hasn't had more support from Pub Senators.

@bilo

I doubt it. The one thing all businesses hate is change because it brings in  unknowns. The border can be shut to those with no licenses to enter or do business with Americans,and the economic impact would be zero,since those people aren't paying taxes anyhow.

As for the others,they would have no trouble getting permits.

Offline Chosen Daughter

All that being said, I still would like to see him follow through. We can't take in an unending flow of people who come with no skills and no desire to become an asset to the country, or a part of it.

As Trump rages over border, Kushner quietly plans legal immigration boost
Hard-line activists are ready to oppose any move to expand immigration.

By ANITA KUMAR 04/03/2019 05:02 AM EDT

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/04/03/jared-kushner-expand-legal-immigration-1249950

Excerpt:

One focus of Kushner’s group are guest worker visas, the news service said.
Those visas are critical to business because they allow CEOs and investors to reduce wages paid to middle class, college educated Americans.
Currently, there are at least 1.5 million visa workers holding white-collar jobs which are sought by new American graduates and seasoned professionals. The visa workers arrive via the H-1B, L1, OPT, CPT, O-1, TN, H4EAD, and other visa programs, and they have created a mobile, contingent workforce which reduces the marketplace pressure on companies to raise salaries paid to college educated Americans or to hire new American graduates.
But these programs also impose political costs on GOP candidates. An April 2018 study argued that white-collar immigration pushes American college graduates away from the GOP. “Our strongest and most significant finding is that an increase in high-skilled immigrants as a share of the local population is associated with a strong and significant decrease in the vote share for the Republican Party,” said the report, authored by pro-migration economist Giovanni Peri, Anna Maria Mayda, a Georgetown University professor, and Walter Steingress, an economist at the Bank of Canada.

In 2018, many suburban college graduate voters switched from GOP to back Democrats. The losing candidates included Kansas Rep. Kevin Yoder who was pushing a plan to award many more green cards to Indian visa workers.
Business groups and Democrats tout skewed polls that prod Americans to declare support for migrants and for the claim that the United States is an economy-expanding “Nation of Immigrants,” not a nation of Americans.
The alternative “priority or fairness” polls — as well as the 2016 election — show that voters put a much higher priority on helping their families, neighbors, and fellow nationals get decent jobs in a globalized, high-immigration economy.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/02/21/mcclatchy-jared-kushner-asks-business-for-immigration-plan/

Trump is a complete sellout to corporations and th Koch brothers.  People need to realize this before the next election.  Trump speaks with forked tongue.  I guess it should be no surprise that Ivanka is encouraging Americans not to invest in college.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 07:40:27 pm by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline libertybele

As Trump rages over border, Kushner quietly plans legal immigration boost
Hard-line activists are ready to oppose any move to expand immigration.

By ANITA KUMAR 04/03/2019 05:02 AM EDT

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/04/03/jared-kushner-expand-legal-immigration-1249950

Excerpt:

One focus of Kushner’s group are guest worker visas, the news service said.
Those visas are critical to business because they allow CEOs and investors to reduce wages paid to middle class, college educated Americans.
Currently, there are at least 1.5 million visa workers holding white-collar jobs which are sought by new American graduates and seasoned professionals. The visa workers arrive via the H-1B, L1, OPT, CPT, O-1, TN, H4EAD, and other visa programs, and they have created a mobile, contingent workforce which reduces the marketplace pressure on companies to raise salaries paid to college educated Americans or to hire new American graduates.
But these programs also impose political costs on GOP candidates. An April 2018 study argued that white-collar immigration pushes American college graduates away from the GOP. “Our strongest and most significant finding is that an increase in high-skilled immigrants as a share of the local population is associated with a strong and significant decrease in the vote share for the Republican Party,” said the report, authored by pro-migration economist Giovanni Peri, Anna Maria Mayda, a Georgetown University professor, and Walter Steingress, an economist at the Bank of Canada.

In 2018, many suburban college graduate voters switched from GOP to back Democrats. The losing candidates included Kansas Rep. Kevin Yoder who was pushing a plan to award many more green cards to Indian visa workers.
Business groups and Democrats tout skewed polls that prod Americans to declare support for migrants and for the claim that the United States is an economy-expanding “Nation of Immigrants,” not a nation of Americans.
The alternative “priority or fairness” polls — as well as the 2016 election — show that voters put a much higher priority on helping their families, neighbors, and fellow nationals get decent jobs in a globalized, high-immigration economy.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/02/21/mcclatchy-jared-kushner-asks-business-for-immigration-plan/

Trump is a complete sellout to corporations and th Koch brothers.  People need to realize this before the next election.  Trump speaks with forked tongue.  I guess it should be no surprise that Ivanka is encouraging Americans not to invest in college.

Kushner is despicable and should have never been granted the security clearance that he has.  Plain and simple, he stands to profit off the border crisis going forward and so does Trump.

Offline Chosen Daughter

Kushner is despicable and should have never been granted the security clearance that he has.  Plain and simple, he stands to profit off the border crisis going forward and so does Trump.

You would have to believe that it is a White House divided.  Trump for American workers and Kushner for Koch brothers and their pro business RINO's.  I don't buy it.   Trump has abandoned the American worker.  More likely it was smoke and mirror "Art of the Deal" lies that he pushed on the American people to get elected.  His inaction for all this time tells the true story.  Not only that but the last Amnesty bill he signed, and now giving Mexico a year to fill US with more crime, drugs and illegal aliens.  Plain and simple Trump has scammed the American people.  And now his hope is to appeal to Democrats and the Hispanics.  Surprise!  Not.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

You would have to believe that it is a White House divided.  Trump for American workers and Kushner for Koch brothers and their pro business RINO's.  I don't buy it.   Trump has abandoned the American worker.  More likely it was smoke and mirror "Art of the Deal" lies that he pushed on the American people to get elected.  His inaction for all this time tells the true story.  Not only that but the last Amnesty bill he signed, and now giving Mexico a year to fill US with more crime, drugs and illegal aliens.  Plain and simple Trump has scammed the American people.  And now his hope is to appeal to Democrats and the Hispanics.  Surprise!  Not.

I suspect you're right, but I also keep in mind that we only see a small part of what is really going on.  For all we know, he might have gotten Mexico to quietly agree to make some concessions behind the scenes that they don't want made public.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.