Poll

Should Puerto Rico be granted Statehood?

Yes
4 (16.7%)
No
20 (83.3%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: March 29, 2019, 03:36:23 pm

Author Topic: Should Puerto Rico be granted Statehood?  (Read 4258 times)

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
Re: Should Puerto Rico be granted Statehood?
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2019, 09:25:24 am »
I spent 2012 working on the island and learned a great deal about what has gone on there.  First, I worked with highly educated folks there, and ALL OF THEM want independence from the USA.  However, the majority of the population there are dependent on the federal government for welfare, and they want to remain part of the USA and remain on the dole.

If there was ever a perfect example of where we were headed under Obama and why we did not want to continue on that path, the PR is a perfect example.

Also, the federal government through its trade negotiations have seriously harmed industry in the PR.  The PR was a major producer of coffee, sugar cane, etc and our government created trade deals that destroyed that business in the PR, favoring deals with Brazil over the PR as one example.

So, the USA has destroyed business on the island, kept the people on welfare, and made them dependent.

So, I agree we should allow their independence.  I think it would be better long term for the people on the island.  That does not mean we walk away completely, we maintain a solid relationship with the PR.

Another thing, the folks on the island are not subjected to taxes as we are here in the USA.  I do not understand how they get away with it, but they simply do not pay taxes like the 50 states.

Plus, super wealthy are moving there to avoid taxes that exist within the 50 states.  The fellow I work with is doing just that at this very moment.  Just not right what is going on. 

Rather than developing 3rd world nations, we should invest that money into our own people, which includes the PR.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 07:13:41 pm by jafo2010 »

Online mountaineer

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2019, 12:39:34 pm »
Very interesting insights, @jafo2010  Thanks!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2019, 07:16:11 pm »
Mountaineer...I went to WVU, 75 grad.  You?

Online mountaineer

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2019, 08:35:49 pm »
Mountaineer...I went to WVU, 75 grad.  You?
My parents and husband were (I went to school in the midwest but live in WV). Hubby graduated WVU undergrad 1972 and from the WVU law school in 1976.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org