Author Topic: Concealed Carry Ballistics: Challenging the Stopping Power Conventional Wisdom  (Read 1194 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The Truth About Guns Mar 03, 2019

Reader Anner writes:

Fair warning: what follows is many paragraphs of pure ballistic nerdism. It also follows some assumptions and processes that would probably give my college statistics professor a stroke.

I recently had some time on a business trip to sit and ponder the merits of various calibers, concealed carry platforms, and the wealth of data we enjoy these days. Folks such as ShootingTheBull410 and LuckyGunner Labs have done us an incredible service in applying terminal ballistics research to the types of handguns and barrel lengths we routinely carry.

I’ve had a long love affair with the idea of carrying a .357 Magnum revolver. A smooth DA trigger, a legendary cartridge, and the pride of training to employ a classic (if possibly outdated) design…it turned into an emotional drive.

I tried several makes, models, and barrel lengths: J-Frames, K-Frames, a Rhino, SP101s, an LCR, and even a Ruger Vaquero. The footprint and weight of the smaller models compared favorably with a subcompact or single-stack pistol, but were torturous to shoot with the ammunition I wanted to use. Larger and heavier models were more comfortable to shoot, but a brick on the belt.

I had a Ruger LCRx, 3” barrel, .357 Magnum and a set of XS sights in the online shopping cart of my local FFL, ready to purchase. When I returned home to pick it up, it would be my final attempt to find the perfect balance of weight, footprint, handling, and shoot-ability.

However, I needed to research if those fiver rounds really had the terminal effectiveness to justify replacing a pistol with seven to ten rounds of capacity.

While I didn’t use any data from his study, Greg Ellifritz provides an excellent background on what I call “second-order” data. It’s a study on how humans reacted to instances of being shot, with all of the variables we can’t replicate in ballistics gelatin:  psychological stops, sober or drugged assailants, etc. It’s worth a watch.

LuckyGunner Labs has some ammo on their hands, and performed a standardized test of common self-defense calibers into Clear Ballistics gelatin. I applaud Chris Baker and his co-workers on their extensive testing and impeccable presentation.  You can see their work here.

DATA COMP – ROUND 1

The purpose of this data comparison is to compare the terminal ballistics of various calibers fired through concealable handguns. Two exceptions are the 10mm and .357 SIG tests, which used full-size handguns. To standardize the data as much as possible, not all loads LuckyGunner tested are displayed.

Displayed loads had to meet the following criteria:

1.      At least 4/5 rounds fired in the provided barrel length expanded, demonstrating proper terminal function in a self defense role. A round was NOT excluded if it failed to meet the 150% expansion diameter desired; if it appeared to expand to (or close to) its design limits, it is included, and the audience can conclude if that’s ‘enough’ expansion.

2.      Loads penetrating outside the 12-18” ideal range (generally due to over/under-expanding) are shown.  By focusing on proper bullet function (expansion) instead of penetration, the audience can determine if they’re comfortable carrying a load that expanded beautifully but under- or over-penetrated.

3.      Generally, does the load satisfy the requirements of something I would carry?  Not that I would actually carry it due to other factors, such as availability or reputation of a specific manufacturer, but does the performance observed generally demonstrate good self defense load characteristics?

4.      By eliminating loads that did not perform as designed, we can focus on how effective each caliber is when loaded with a specific bullet design and pushed to a velocity typical of shorter barrels.

The intent is to draw conclusions on the terminal effectiveness of the caliber by assuming proper terminal function/expansion, and then comparing the degree of expansion and penetration…yes, it’s a caliber wars session. Sharpen your spears. Once a specific caliber shows the desired performance, I can choose a carry platform and select from individual test data for the best carry load.

More: https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2019/03/ttag-contributor/concealed-carry-ballistics-challenging-the-stopping-power-conventional-wisdom/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
All this is a LOT of fun if you are more than a little anal,and enjoy buying reloading equipment,chronographs,guns,bullets,lbs of powder,arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin,etc,etc,etc,but enough about me.

If you just want to buy a good self-defense handgun to use on human animals,buy a 45 ACP and be done with it. No real need to reinvent the wheel every year.

If you don't like semi-autos,buy one of the new medium-frame 44 special revolvers and shoot 200gr hollowpoints in it. My Rossi 3 inch 44 Special with 200gr Silvertips is the one I use most often as my "go to town pistol",but it's pretty damn slick for local carry,too. I  have made a few one shot kills on running or swimming snakes with it,and when you hit one with a 44,there is no doubt you hit him.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 02:33:55 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline verga

My preferred carry, at this time, is the Ruger Security 9, with one in the pipe and an extra mag.
I used to carry the .45 ACP, but for the same weight I get an extra 10 shots and it fits my hand better.
I also think I am a slightly better shot with the 9mm.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.