Author Topic: Rockland County to Declare Measles State of Emergency, Ban Unvaccinated Minors From Public Spaces  (Read 1340 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
151 cases in one county is about what the entire US national average was each year since around 1965.

Rockland County will declare a countywide State of Emergency relating to the ongoing measles outbreak Tuesday afternoon.
Effective at the stroke of midnight, Wednesday, anyone who is under 18 years of age and unvaccinated against the measles will be barred from public places until this declaration expires in 30 days or until they receive the MMR vaccination.
As of last Thursday, there are 151 confirmed reported cases of measles in the county, according to Rockland County.....

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Rockland-County-State-Emergency-Measles-507672921.html?ff

Offline berdie

That's interesting....but what would have happened "back in the day" when there was no vaccines and everyone had measles?

Or mumps or chickenpox?

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
That's interesting....but what would have happened "back in the day" when there was no vaccines and everyone had measles?

Or mumps or chickenpox?

Absolute Quarantine.  Schools closed. Public pools closed.   
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Or mumps or chickenpox?

People died of it. A lot of people died.

https://academic.oup.com/aje/article/179/4/413/128401

It was the leading killer of children in the early 20th century.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 01:38:09 am by ABX »

Offline roamer_1

GREAT.Hopefully a butt-ton more people will take advantage of the impasse to yank their kids out of the broken liberal indoctrination centers, and begin homeschooling.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
How are they going to know who isn't vaccinated? 

A yellow syringe pinned to their lapel?
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Immunization records have been kept since the 1960's.  How old are you?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

Papers, where are your papers! I wonder too, will they have immunization police posted in all public areas or will it be on the honor system?

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
  Immunization records have been kept since the 1960's.  How old are you?
I guess the sarcasm went over your head.

Old enough to have my original vaccination records from the 60s and know that current records are kept digitally and that paper copies are usually only provided upon request.

That being said, who is going to be "checking" for current vaccinations on the streets of Rockland County?  What happens if someone can't produce their "papers"?

Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline berdie

People died of it. A lot of people died.

https://academic.oup.com/aje/article/179/4/413/128401

It was the leading killer of children in the early 20th century.

I appreciate the link.  It was very informative.  But it looks like most of that happened in third world countries.

I don't discount these folks but most of the "measles outbreaks" in the US were treated well in the US.  Having measles is not a death sentence, nor has it been for may years.

I just don't agree with freaking out because 3 kids have measles.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 09:32:54 pm by berdie »

Offline Victoria33

I appreciate the link.  It was very informative.  But it looks like most of that happened in third world countries.
I don't discount these folks but most of the "measles outbreaks" in the US were treated well in the US.  Having measles is not a death sentence, nor has it been for may years.  I just don't agree with freaking out because 3 kids have measles.
@berdie

If no one was vaccinated, adults would catch all these diseases and production of all goods/economy would suffer as people could not go to work.  People would also die.  A man getting the mumps can end up sterile.

Offline WalkingLiberty

@berdie

If no one was vaccinated, adults would catch all these diseases and production of all goods/economy would suffer as people could not go to work.  People would also die.  A man getting the mumps can end up sterile.

Prior to the vaccine measles was mostly a childhood disease.  In the several years prior to the vaccine, there were about 500,000 reported cases in the US and about 430 deaths, per year, or about 0.086% death rate.  Back in the early 1900's the death rate from measles was about 21 per 1000, and in the several years prior to the vaccine the death rate was down to about 1 per 1000.

Offline Hoodat

â†‘
This
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-