Author Topic: Sandy Hook victim's father apparently took his own life  (Read 1975 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Sandy Hook victim's father apparently took his own life
« on: March 26, 2019, 01:41:46 am »
Sandy Hook victim's father apparently took his own life

The father of a Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting victim has been found dead, having apparently taken his own life, police say.

Newtown, Connecticut, police said Jeremy Richman was found in his office building on Monday.

The 49-year-old was the father of six-year-old Avielle, one of 20 children killed in the December 2012 shooting.

Read more at:  https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47698340

Six-year-old Avielle was one of the victims of the Sandy Hook shooting

Heartbreaking, I don't know what one can say...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 01:43:02 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

Re: Sandy Hook victim's father apparently took his own life
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 01:56:24 am »
People need to remember, you don't let the bad guys win. What do they say after terrorist attacks? You go on as if life is normal. Any nut mass shooter is a terrorist in that way, life needs to go on. I'm very sorry for these people who are so grief-stricken, that they kill themselves.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 02:33:11 am »
I was raised to believe suicide is a sin.

I got no Bible quotes or high minded "principles.

Just that living is my business, and my dying is God's business.

I heard that Abe Lincoln suffered depression (Melancholy, they called it) but he stated sumpin like

“Folks are usually about as happy as they make their minds up to be.”
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 02:52:21 pm »
<…>
Wow, the loss of a child is a temporary problem? And you call him a loser? Not being able to put myself in his shoes since I haven't had a child murdered, I can't say how I would react so I'll refrain from condemning and insulting the man.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 07:23:51 pm by Mod2 »

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 02:57:03 pm »
Wow, the loss of a child is a temporary problem? And you call him a loser? Not being able to put myself in his shoes since I haven't had a child murdered, I can't say how I would react so I'll refrain from condemning and insulting the man.

I haven’t been in this man’s shoes, either, but I know one prominent person who has - John Walsh. He’d likely be more than willing to help these parents any way he can.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 04:44:13 pm »
<…>

Some people suffer from mental illness and to them they may not be thinking clearly or their thinking is distorted.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 07:24:12 pm by Mod2 »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline LottieDah

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 04:52:52 pm »
The loss of a child is profound.  Some people like John Walsh are able to withstand the pain and carry one.  Others can not.  May Jeremy Richman finally rest in peace.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 04:54:04 pm »
<…>

I would hate to see what you say about people who die from cancer.

Mental illness is a disease, just like cancer. It more often than not, has biochemical origins that is exasperated by traumas.

You wouldn't say someone who died from cancer they are a loser for the disease killing them. People with mental illnesses who take their own life are victims of a disease who finally overwhelmed them.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 07:24:33 pm by Mod2 »

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 04:54:55 pm »
Some people suffer from mental illness and to them they may not be thinking clearly or their thinking is distorted.

I have read our resident psychologist say that depression is treatable.    The guy was a neuroscientist.  One would think he had access to professional help.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline QueenCatofAragon

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 04:57:25 pm »
I was raised to believe suicide is a sin.

I got no Bible quotes or high minded "principles.

Just that living is my business, and my dying is God's business.

I heard that Abe Lincoln suffered depression (Melancholy, they called it) but he stated sumpin like

“Folks are usually about as happy as they make their minds up to be.”

Yes, that’s obviously the fix he needed.  The bereaved father just needed to make up his mind to be happy.
I say this to Beto fans, Trump fans, all fans of politicians: it is un-American, ridiculous, and dangerous to be a fan of a politician. They aren't pop stars. Support them if you agree with their policies. Criticize them when they go wrong. They are servants, not celebrities. —— Matt Walsh

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 04:57:31 pm »

Mental illness is a disease, just like cancer. It more often than not, has biochemical origins that is exasperated by traumas.

You wouldn't say someone who died from cancer they are a loser for the disease killing them. People with mental illnesses who take their own life are victims of a disease who finally overwhelmed them.

Non sequitur.  And I don't mean the comic strip.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 05:06:11 pm »
This is when the value of family, friends church, neighbors, coworkers, health pros come into play.

Perhaps someone among those, could/would have known about the father's lack of ability to deal with the loss.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2019, 05:12:05 pm »
And I'm sure idiot fans of Alex Jones haven't helped these parents cope.  Don't know if this family was harassed by these nutcases, demanding to know where their children really are, but I can imagine the persecution of these families exacerbated their grief.   

Offline ABX

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2019, 05:17:58 pm »
And I'm sure idiot fans of Alex Jones haven't helped these parents cope.  Don't know if this family was harassed by these nutcases, demanding to know where their children really are, but I can imagine the persecution of these families exacerbated their grief.

That's the truth.

I remember shortly after Sandy Hook, Jones' nutcase followers started protesting the parent's homes demanding they 'come clean' about the 'false flag'. they harassed the parents for weeks until the police intervened.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2019, 05:30:12 pm »

Mental illnesses have genetic components.

There are TBIs(traumatic brain injuries)

Acquired brain injuries

Anxiety/depression spectum

Substance/abuse-addiction

BUT at the end of the day, if a troubled individual isolates, and takes their own life with little warning, nobody else is to blame.

If people are concerned, suspcious about another person, say something, do something.

Offline QueenCatofAragon

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2019, 05:32:44 pm »
This is when the value of family, friends church, neighbors, coworkers, health pros come into play.

Perhaps someone among those, could/would have known about the father's lack of ability to deal with the loss.

And what then.  Put him under 24 hour guard?  Apparently his grief was too much for him, regardless of who knew or didn’t know.

I just saw the comment upthread about not letting the terrorists win and going on with life as always.  @TomSea that’s....stunningly disconnected from reality.  Have you ever loved anyone?

My husband’s grandmother said people need to guard against their hearts growing harder as they get older.  Well...🤷🏻‍♀️
I say this to Beto fans, Trump fans, all fans of politicians: it is un-American, ridiculous, and dangerous to be a fan of a politician. They aren't pop stars. Support them if you agree with their policies. Criticize them when they go wrong. They are servants, not celebrities. —— Matt Walsh

Offline ABX

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2019, 05:33:04 pm »
Mental illnesses have genetic components.

There are TBIs(traumatic brain injuries)

Acquired brain injuries

Anxiety/depression spectum

Substance/abuse-addiction

BUT at the end of the day, if a troubled individual isolates, and takes their own life with little warning, nobody else is to blame.

If people are concerned, suspcious about another person, say something, do something.

All very, very true.... and some don't even give outward suspicions or they put on fronts to hide issues they are battling.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2019, 05:47:21 pm »
And what then.  Put him under 24 hour guard?  Apparently his grief was too much for him, regardless of who knew or didn’t know.

I just saw the comment upthread about not letting the terrorists win and going on with life as always.  @TomSea that’s....stunningly disconnected from reality.  Have you ever loved anyone?

My husband’s grandmother said people need to guard against their hearts growing harder as they get older.  Well...🤷🏻‍♀️

@QueenCatofAragon

I admit I don't know how I'd feel if I were in these person's shoes, I didn't feel like writing a novel about it.

But if we have a rash of suicides, I don't think it's out of line at all to say, we need to not let the bad guys win or we might have more suicides. This suicide happened after the ones at Parkland. So are they connected? We don't know if they influenced this situation in Connecticut but if it did, we need to be on guard about it or we might have more.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 06:07:28 pm by TomSea »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2019, 05:55:47 pm »
That's the truth.

I remember shortly after Sandy Hook, Jones' nutcase followers started protesting the parent's homes demanding they 'come clean' about the 'false flag'. they harassed the parents for weeks until the police intervened.

I did read sometime back that some parents sued Jones over the harassment.  Don't know what the status of the case is at present. 

Personally, I hope the families wipe him out.

Offline ABX

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2019, 05:58:40 pm »
I did read sometime back that some parents sued Jones over the harassment.  Don't know what the status of the case is at present. 

Personally, I hope the families wipe him out.

Still in the courts. Jones is getting his ass handed to him on every motion they file to try to dismiss or withhold evidence.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/30/us/politics/alex-jones-infowars-sandy-hook-lawsuit.html

Offline TomSea

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2019, 06:05:13 pm »
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/dec/4/lenny-pozner-sues-nobody-died-sandy-hook-authors-j/

This other conspiracy theorist is being sued as well,  Fetzer and an associate. Alex  Jones can have some worthwhile stuff, maybe interviews too... but any good is tainted with all of his harebrained conspiracy theories....I tune him out but as mentioned, what he says gets read by real crazies who show up on people's doorsteps protesting or who make crank calls to the victims.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2019, 06:12:51 pm »
Do we even know that he killed himself because of grief or untreated depression? Or are we just speculating? The cited news story didn't offer any explanation.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2019, 06:26:51 pm »
The Newthers were particularly heinous because they took something that was essentially a "goof" and used it to torment families who were dealing with dead children. All these "truther" type conspiracies are really just mental exercises, not truly held beliefs.
Countdown to Resignation

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2019, 06:30:56 pm »
As I posted before though... when you have three in a row decide to do it at the same time and it instantly gets media attention, can you fault people for suspecting it's all fake?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2019, 06:46:15 pm »
Be concerned. Be willing to listen. Take action.

In California an individual can be confined for 72 hours, if deemed to pose a risk to themselves and others.

You can drive a person to an emergency room at a major hospital. Or call 911.