Author Topic: A federal bump stock ban starts Tuesday. Here’s what that means for owners  (Read 1369 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
If you are one of the estimated half a million people who bought a bump stock that didn't turn it in or reported it destroyed, starting tomorrow, the Trump administration can jail you for up to 10 years.

Unless a court intervenes, a federal ban on bump stocks — attachments that essentially allow shooters to fire semiautomatic rifles continuously with one pull of the trigger — will start Tuesday.
The Justice Department issued the rule in December, deciding that existing prohibitions against fully automatic weapons also covered bump stocks.....

....These are the penalties owners face risk if they don’t comply
Possession of a bump stock, like possession of a machine gun, will be punishable by fines and up to 10 years in prison.....

https://q13fox.com/2019/03/25/a-federal-bump-stock-ban-starts-tuesday-heres-what-that-means-for-owners/

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
If you are one of the estimated half a million people who bought a bump stock that didn't turn it in or reported it destroyed, starting tomorrow, the Trump administration can jail you for up to 10 years.
Sadly, the administration made material errors in describing the way the bump stock works, and the effect of mounting one on a semiautomatic rifle. (The rifle remains semi-automatic, with the function of the action unchanged: one trigger pull per round fired). All the stock changes is the ability to pull the trigger more efficiently resulting in a faster rate of fire.

The effect can be duplicated by simpler and less permanent means, and that creates a gray area. The firearm still remains semiautomatic.  So what is next? Ban belt loops and trigger fingers?

Another unfortunate effect of this edict, is that a fundamental Civil Right is being infringed, in direct contravention to the Constitution, and property is being seized or criminalized, without recourse, (by a rule made by a bureaucratic agency after the property was declared okay by a previous administration), without compensation, without considering the ex post facto nature of the rule for all such property existing before the rule was made or went into effect.

That this is being done based on the still sketchy details of one incident allegedly involving one nutcase, yet affecting some 500,000 people who have the devices who have done no wrong is an obscenity, and flies in the face of the Fifth, 14th, and a few other Amendments besides the Second.

Now, for any Gubmint guys tuning in: I don't have one of these stocks, never did, and didn't particularly want something which, in my estimation, only runs through ammo faster and less accurately.

So, no need to doxx me and knock on my door.
If I did have one, you wouldn't get it anyway.
There's lots of prairie out here to hide things.
I suspect it's much the same elsewhere.
A lot of these will be dead and buried....
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 04:31:39 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
BREAKING: DC Circuit Issues Gun Owner a Temporary Stay of ATF’s Bump Stock Ban

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2019/03/daniel-zimmerman/breaking-dc-circuit-issues-gun-owner-a-temporary-stay-of-atfs-bump-stock-ban/

Thursday, a Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals judge issued a temporary restraining order blocking the ATF’s new rule that re-classifies bump stocks as machine guns. That ruling only applies to the plaintiff who filed that suit. Today, the DC Circuit Court of Appeals has done the same thing.

Like the Tenth Circuit’s ruling, this one only applies to plaintiff Damien Guedes who brought the suit along with the Firearms Policy Coalition. Their lawsuit challenging the bump stock ban was initially denied by a District Court, but a DC Circuit three-judge panel today has agreed to issue the stay.

The bump stock ban will go into effect as of March 26.

From the ruling . . .

It is

FURTHER ORDERED, on the court’s own motion, that the effective date of the Bump-Stock Rule, 83 Fed. Reg. 66514 (Dec. 26, 2018), be administratively stayed in its application only as to the named Appellants in appeals Nos. 19-5042 and 19-5044, pending further order of this Court. The purpose of this stay is exclusively to give the Court sufficient opportunity to consider the disposition of this highly expedited appeal, and should not be construed in any way as a ruling on the merits of the appeal. See D.C. Circuit Handbook of Practice and Internal Procedures 33 (2018).

You can read the full ruling here (PDF).https://cdn0.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/2019-3-23-guedes-cadc-order.pdf

Online Smokin Joe

BREAKING: DC Circuit Issues Gun Owner a Temporary Stay of ATF’s Bump Stock Ban

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2019/03/daniel-zimmerman/breaking-dc-circuit-issues-gun-owner-a-temporary-stay-of-atfs-bump-stock-ban/
So, does that mean they'll go after the other 499,999 people on 'process violations' now, even if the ban is overturned?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
So, does that mean they'll go after the other 499,999 people on 'process violations' now, even if the ban is overturned?

Process Violations?

I was thinking they'll go after them for possession of unregistered  Title III NFA "Bump Stocks".

Online Smokin Joe

Process Violations?

I was thinking they'll go after them for possession of unregistered  Title III NFA "Bump Stocks".
Not if the rule is overturned, unless they seek to pick up people for owning it in the interim.

C S Lewis

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Not if the rule is overturned, unless they seek to pick up people for owning it in the interim.

It wasn't over-turned.  A 'stay' just prevents enforcement for a temporary period of time. (usually very short until something can be reviewed by legislators or a higher court).

Online Smokin Joe

It wasn't over-turned.  A 'stay' just prevents enforcement for a temporary period of time. (usually very short until something can be reviewed by legislators or a higher court).
Yep. The stay just keeps it from being implemented, and in this instance that only applies to one person (the plaintiff in the case). The question at this point is one of what will be the result of that review, and IF the rule is tossed, will those who retained their property but were not covered by the stay be subject to prosecution under the rule?

C S Lewis