Author Topic: Cloud of Cancer-Causing Chemical Hangs Over the Houston Channel  (Read 747 times)

Offline thackney

Cloud of Cancer-Causing Chemical Hangs Over the Houston Channel
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/houston-disaster-spills-into-channel-as-illness-proliferates/ar-BBV6T6R

Oil byproducts from a damaged storage facility contaminated the Houston Ship Channel and created a cloud of cancer-causing benzene over the waterway, the latest mutation of one of the worst Gulf Coast chemical disasters in more than a decade.

The U.S. Coast Guard is forbidding vessel traffic on a stretch of the key industrial shipping route after a wall collapse and fire at Intercontinental Terminals Co.’s already-damaged chemical storage complex on Friday. A mix of toxic gasoline ingredients, firefighting foam and dirty water flowed from the site into the channel, and a benzene plume above the water poses a threat to ship crews, said Coast Guard Capt. Kevin Oditt.

The channel, which is not a source of drinking water for Houston or its suburbs, is the newest victim of a calamity that began unfolding almost a week ago when tanks holding byproducts of the oil-refining process at ITC’s facility erupted in flames. A mile-high plume of inky black smoke towered over the fourth-largest American city for days until crews extinguished the blaze on March 20.

That was followed by benzene alerts that shut down Deer Park and other suburbs for half a day, the collapse of a containment wall and Friday’s new fires in three wrecked storage tanks and a drainage ditch....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

Re: Cloud of Cancer-Causing Chemical Hangs Over the Houston Channel
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 01:56:11 pm »
What happened at ITC facility in Deer Park over the weekend?
https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/What-happened-at-ITC-facility-in-Deer-Park-over-13713732.php
March 25, 2019

...On Friday, a containment wall breached around the tank farm and sent foam and other volatile compounds into a drainage ditch that leads to the Houston Ship Channel. Parts of the facility also re-ignited, but those smaller fire were quickly extinguished.

On  Saturday, the Texas  Commission on Environmental Quality reported nine toxins in the drainage ditch that leads to the ship channel. However, the company said it has yet to complete the analyses of the sample taken from Tucker Bayou, the Ship Channel and Galveston Bar, according to earlier reports in the Houston Chronicle.

The U.S. Coast Guard is currently working to remove the chemicals that spilled into the ship channel. They removed an estimated 60,000 gallons of watery-oil product from the waterway, and most of the remaining product has been contained within booms in Tucker Bayou, according to earlier reports in the Chronicle.

The coast guard is still trying to partially re-open the ship channel, which has been closed since Friday. It's still unclear how much chemicals leaked from the site. Currently, 34 vessels, including 15 skimmers, and conducting cleanup efforts in the waterway.

ITC's latest press release, issued Sunday night, said the coast guard opened the San Jacinto River for a period of time to allow vessel traffic through the ship channel....

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 01:58:07 pm »
Spill blocks 60 ships from upper Houston Ship Channel: U.S. Coast Guard
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-texas-energy-houston-fire/spill-blocks-60-ships-from-upper-houston-ship-channel-u-s-coast-guard-idUSKCN1R61I5
MARCH 25, 2019 / 8:30 AM

A total of 60 ships can neither enter nor exit the upper Houston Ship Channel, the U.S. Coast Guard said on Monday, because of clean up of a spill into the waterway connecting the busiest U.S. petrochemical port with the Gulf of Mexico.

Thirty ships were waiting to enter the ship channel and 30 ships were waiting to exit as traffic is stopped while a spill of chemicals from the International Terminals Co fire in Deer Park, Texas, is contained and cleaned up, the Coast Guard said....

Offline Idiot

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 02:15:08 pm »
Sorry for all affected....   I bet the lawyers are lining up.  Soon they'll be filling the airwaves with ads.

Offline thackney

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 02:16:24 pm »
Sorry for all affected....   I bet the lawyers are lining up.  Soon they'll be filling the airwaves with ads.

Texas sues company behind Deer Park terminal fire
https://www.texastribune.org/2019/03/22/texas-sues-company-deer-park-terminal-fire/

Attorney General Ken Paxton filed an environmental lawsuit against Intercontinental Terminals Company late Friday seeking tens of thousands of dollars in damages....

Offline Idiot

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 02:18:30 pm »
Texas sues company behind Deer Park terminal fire
https://www.texastribune.org/2019/03/22/texas-sues-company-deer-park-terminal-fire/

Attorney General Ken Paxton filed an environmental lawsuit against Intercontinental Terminals Company late Friday seeking tens of thousands of dollars in damages....
Well that didn't take long.  :laugh:

Offline jpsb

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 02:34:05 pm »
I probably need to sue too. I live right on the bay. I've warned a few friends not to bring their dogs over for a
swim. No more fishing, swimming or sailing. Sucks. I wonder when it will be safe to use the bay again.

Offline thackney

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 02:35:35 pm »
News Release # 22
https://itcresponse.com/

Unified Command continues clean-up operations at the Intercontinental Terminals Company LLC (ITC) facility, Tucker’s Bayou and Houston Ship Channel near Deer Park, Texas.

Since March 19, 2019, more than 1,100 federal, state and local first responders, agencies, and environmental cleanup contractors have been on the scene and actively assessing, booming and continuing to remove product from affected areas.

ITC operational personnel are pumping out tank 80-7. They are currently transferring product from 80-14 and will begin transferring from tanks 80-15 and 80-10 all to tank 80-18. They’re also still pumping product from the ditch using vacuum trucks and hoses. That product is being transferred to tank 100-28. They are still foaming the tank farm hourly to maintain a 2-foot level of foam.

We continue to monitor air and water quality. Updates are available on this ITC’s web page www.iterm.com/news, as well as, those of the responding agencies.

The Coast Guard Captain of the Port has opened the San Jacinto River for a period of time to allow vessel traffic through the channel on Sunday between 5 p.m. and 7 p.m., and Monday, between 9 a.m. and noon. The Houston Ship Channel remains closed to traffic between Tucker’s Bayou and HSC Light 116 and closed for cargo operations from HSC Light 139 to HSC Light 129.

Tucker’s Bayou and the adjacent ITC piers remain the primary impacted location and the product is contained within booming. Overflights were able to confirm the western leading edge of the product is located at Patrick’s Bayou and the eastern leading edge is at Old River, with pockets of additional product in the vicinity of Lynchburg Ferry and San Jacinto Port.

Approximately 27,000-feet of boom has been deployed, covering Tucker’s Bayou, the ITC docks, Patrick’s Bayou, Old River, Carpenter’s Bayou, Battleship Texas, Santa Ana Bayou, the western shore of the mouth of the San Jacinto River, and the oyster beds located in Burnett Bay.

There are currently 34 vessels, including 15 skimmers, on scene conducting operations. An additional seven skimmers and 12 vessels are scheduled to arrive on scene to support assessment, protection, and recovery operations.

Incident Summary:

Response assets:
• Personnel assigned: 775
• Fire-fighting equipment: 14
• Product removal vehicles: 20
• Vessels assigned: 45
• Boom deployed: 27,000 feet

Skimmers have recovered more than 1.3 million gallons of oil water mixture as cleanup crews
work 24 hours a day. More than 27,000 feet of boom deployed.

Recovered material:
• Oily water mixture 1.3 million gallons removed from the water
• Pyrolysis gasoline (or Pygas) 12,647 barrels removed from tank 80-7

Offline Idiot

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 02:54:08 pm »
I find it amazing that any oil/gasoline actually ended up in the channel. I would have thought that the tank farm dikes would have held it all in.  Maybe time to rethink the containment for those tank farms?  I'm guess the lawyers/lawsuits will force a change.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 02:54:55 pm by mrpotatohead »

Offline thackney

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 04:38:12 pm »
I find it amazing that any oil/gasoline actually ended up in the channel. I would have thought that the tank farm dikes would have held it all in.  Maybe time to rethink the containment for those tank farms?  I'm guess the lawyers/lawsuits will force a change.

I would guess the pounding the fire water did over days damaged the dike walls.

https://patch.com/texas/pasadena-tx/houston-ship-channel-closed-after-dike-wall-fails-itc-site

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2019, 04:42:36 pm »
I would guess the pounding the fire water did over days damaged the dike walls.

https://patch.com/texas/pasadena-tx/houston-ship-channel-closed-after-dike-wall-fails-itc-site
That's likely.

What chemicals, exactly, and how long before they evaporate and get carried away by the wind? It gets fairly hot down there, and I would think that would contribute to the intensity of the 'cloud', but to reducing it's duration as well.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2019, 05:28:44 pm »
Some vessels now moving through closed waterway caused by ITC spill
https://www.chron.com/business/energy/article/Portion-of-Houston-Ship-Channel-remains-closed-13714029.php?cmpid=ffcp
11:44 am CDT, Monday, March 25, 2019

Some vessels were scheduled Monday morning to pass through a portion of the Houston Ship Channel that has been closed since Friday afternoon due to contamination from the Intercontinental Terminals Co.

The vessels are being decontaminated as they move through the roughly seven-mile portion of the Houston Ship Channel near the Lynchburg Ferry, extending from Tucker Bayou, where the ITC facility is located, to Houston Ship Channel light 116.

It's a test to see when the Houston Ship Channel could be reopened....