Author Topic: The Biggest Myth About the "Bee Apocalypse"  (Read 875 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
The Biggest Myth About the "Bee Apocalypse"
« on: March 24, 2019, 02:31:20 pm »
In 2006, an ominous term entered the public lexicon: colony collapse disorder. The mysterious, somewhat vague word describes instances where entire colonies of honeybees abruptly disappear, leaving behind their queens. Colony collapse disorder (CCD) has since fueled claims of an ongoing "bee apocalypse," which summarizes the perilous plight of our pollinator pals.

But despite panicked claims of an apocalypse, managed honeybee colonies in the United States have actually been rising since 2008. In fact, as of April 2017, U.S. honeybee colonies are at their highest levels in more than 23 years!

https://www.livescience.com/61086-biggest-myth-about-bee-apocalypse.html

Offline Polly Ticks

Re: The Biggest Myth About the "Bee Apocalypse"
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 08:09:01 pm »
[...]the perilous plight of our pollinator pals.

Admirable application of ancillary alliteration.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 08:19:04 pm »

May be locale specific, but I don't seem to see the bees that I used to.  But you right, the demise of bees has been seriously overstated.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 12:09:41 am »
May be locale specific, but I don't seem to see the bees that I used to.  But you right, the demise of bees has been seriously overstated.

Speaking locally too - Down in the valleys where the farming is, I would agree with you - Bees are not plentiful.

But up in the sticks, it is still the same. Finding wild honey has always been a chore, but it is no different across my lifetime. Likewise homesteaders - where there is an abiding hive, where bees are kept in their generations, all is well.

Makes me think it is a part of the farming - either the pesticides, or the fact that they order bees in, rather than maintaining their own...  :shrug: