Author Topic: Grammar quiz from the 1980s is so difficult most people only answer HALF the questions correctly...  (Read 1254 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Grammar quiz from the 1980s is so difficult most people only answer HALF the questions correctly... so do YOU think you can do better?

Grammar quiz from the 1980s is so difficult most people only answer HALF the questions correctly... so do YOU think you can do better?

This tricky 20-question grammar test from the 1980s is surprisingly hard
     Multiple choice answers are deceptively simple and easily catch you out
    Its creator claims players will 'never' be able to score more than 50 per cent

By Keiligh Baker for MailOnline

Published: 04:59 EDT, 22 March 2019 | Updated: 06:36 EDT, 22 March 2019

quiz at link
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-6838293/Grammar-quiz-1980s-difficult-people-answer-HALF-questions-correctly.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I missed four.  I wasn't paying enough attention.

Offline Hoodat

20.  Not at all difficult.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I missed four.  I wasn't paying enough attention.

I ain't got no chance, with this kind of tests.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I ain't got no chance, with this kind of tests.

Shure you do.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
 Its creator claims players will 'never' be able to score more than 50 per cent
-------------------------------------------------
Sounds like someone needs a math class. If that were truly the case the questions would be have to incomprehensible, which would make for a bad test.

I missed one. My teacher learned me gooder; but I've never been good at affect and effect without looking it up.

Paper airplanes are stationery vehicles... :rolling:
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Unless you are in the 'right' company, these rules can get you in trouble. General English grammar in America is so bad at this point that only 10% of the population of America even understand what it is, much less how to use it. And yes, using proper English in the wrong environment can make people angry. Because they think you are making fun of them or that you think you are 'better' than them (which most of the time I am). And you should never ever say "whom" unless you are sure what the reaction is going to be.

The point is, for me it is important to speak according to whichever environment I'm in. It is not that I am talking down to them (which I am), it is more than I do not want to start an argument or a fight. Rules of grammar only apply when you are in a crowd of people which understand and appreciate them. Otherwise, grammar make no difference at all. More than that, using proper grammar can cause problems because the people you are trying to communicate with will not understand what you are saying to them.

Did you see that?
Yes, I seen it! Correct
Yes, I saw it! X-Wrong (What do you mean you sawed something? Ain't no logs round here.)

« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 06:44:31 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Victoria33

@mystery-ak

I answered them all correctly for a reason. 

I graduated high school in 1951, started in 1941 (was skipped from grade 2 to grade 3).  We had spelling classes every day in elementary school and tests every day to make sure you knew your spelling.  In those days, English teachers were big bears and no one messed with them - you better learn it or something horrible might happen to you.  This was a small school, not many people in a class.  There were two English high school teachers.  You were going to get both of them before you got out of school. One of them would go around the room and ask questions and she might call on you, so you studied and hoped she wouldn't ask you a question.  She scared me.  However, by the time I was a junior in high school, I was her secretary, would type what she needed and make copies for classes.  I did that due to being in typing and bookkeeping classes.  This teacher and another one, had me type their Master's thesis.  I for sure knew how to type complicated pages with footnotes.

When I graduated, I signed up for college classes in the summer.  Had to do a paper for the college English teacher and after turning it in, she spoke to me, asking how I knew to do all those footnotes at the bottom of the pages.  I told her I had a bear for an English teacher.

Did you have to diagram sentences?  I had to do that from mid-elementary all the way through regular college English classes.  I ended up with a college minor in English.

Taking this test, one needed to know spelling of certain words that sounded alike, and know which words represented "we" or "I" - words representing singular or plural.

Does any school teach English anymore?  Do they teach spelling?

Our state of Texas just passed a law requiring schools to teach cursive writing starting next year.  We had cursive writing taught every day in elementary school.  When did they stop teaching cursive?  Kids today only know how to print letters individually.  I was stunned a few years ago when I heard that.  We have dumbed down schooling these days.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline libertybele

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.