Author Topic: NUMBERS DON'T LIE: Trump's free speech executive order could cost colleges billions  (Read 587 times)

rangerrebew

NUMBERS DON'T LIE: Trump's free speech executive order could cost colleges billions
Grace Gottschling

on Mar 22, 2019 at 5:48 PM EDT

President Donald Trump on Thursday signed an executive order that could withhold federal research funding from universities that violate free speech.

In light of the order, Campus Reform compiled a report showing just how much federal research funding is potentially at stake.

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=12013

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
As I pointed out with an earlier thread, don't forget about the law of unintended consequences (and don't get me wrong, I support this EO)... Almost every school in the country sans 4-5 take federal funds in some fashion. From the big university to the small Baptist college down the road. The latter is where you'll see the biggest hurt. A big university will just set up a 'free speech zone', check off the compliance box, and be done with it.  The small Baptist college, however, may end up being a target for activists who will now demand free speech time promoting everything they don't support.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
ABX wrote:
"A big university will just set up a 'free speech zone', check off the compliance box, and be done with it."

I could be wrong, but doesn't the order issued by the White House specifically BAN the policy of "free speech zones" (which are designed to PREVENT "free speech" everywhere else) ??

The small colleges that DO NOT use "free speech zones" to do an end-run around the First Amendment will have nothing to worry about.