Author Topic: Daily on Energy: Rick Perry forks over $3.7 billion in financing for ailing nuclear plant  (Read 897 times)

Online corbe

Daily on Energy: Rick Perry forks over $3.7 billion in financing for ailing nuclear plant

by John Siciliano  & Josh Siegel

March 22, 2019 12:00 PM

RICK PERRY FORKS OVER $3.7 BILLION IN FINANCING FOR AILING NUCLEAR PLANT: Energy Secretary Rick Perry on Friday issued a $3.7 billion federally-backed loan guarantee to keep the Vogtle nuclear power plant under construction in Georgia afloat after years of cost overruns and project delays.

Perry made the announcement after touring the site in Georgia with utility industry officials involved in the project, state regulators, and the Republican governor of Georgia.

“This is the real ‘Green New Deal,’” Perry said outside of the plant. “This is America.”

He said the Vogtle project is “critically important” to the administration’s goal of revitalizing and expanding the U.S. nuclear industry. “A strong nuclear industry supports a reliable and resilient grid, and strengthens our energy and national security,” he said.

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/energy/daily-on-energy-rick-perry-forks-over-3-7-billion-in-financing-for-ailing-nuclear-plant
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Joe Wooten

The best thing Slick Rick can do for the nuclear industry is to eliminate the wind/solar subsidies and make them pay for their grid connections just ike any other power plant, which is based upon the average seasonal capacity factor for each unit. Then make damn sure the companies that own them do not get to walk away from their projects when they try to abandon them. I'd make them start paying into a decomissioning fund.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

The best thing Slick Rick can do for the nuclear industry is to eliminate the wind/solar subsidies and make them pay for their grid connections just ike any other power plant, which is based upon the average seasonal capacity factor for each unit. Then make damn sure the companies that own them do not get to walk away from their projects when they try to abandon them. I'd make them start paying into a decomissioning fund.
Does the nuclear industry have such a fund it pays into?

It may be the only power industry that does, but am unsure.

I think some of the offshore oil and gas installations may also have them in some countries, but do not think in the US.

@Joe Wooten
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Joe Wooten

Does the nuclear industry have such a fund it pays into?

It may be the only power industry that does, but am unsure.

I think some of the offshore oil and gas installations may also have them in some countries, but do not think in the US.

@Joe Wooten

Yes, every nuke plant has a decommissioning fund. It gets funded by the utility in their rates, I think most are about 0.3 cents per KW-hr