Poll

Ryan's Steak House Story.

Post Worthy
12 (80%)
Not Worthy
3 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: June 30, 2019, 05:07:47 am

Author Topic: Ryan's Steak House  (Read 2385 times)

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Ryan's Steak House
« on: March 22, 2019, 05:05:17 am »
If you have to go..you have to go.

The parent company of Ryan's Steakhouse restaurants filed for bankruptcy and closed 81 locations this week in an effort to restructure about $245 million in debt, the company said Friday.

Buffets Inc., which owns nearly 500 Ryan's and other restaurants nationwide, will close six Ryan's steakhouses in East Tennessee and North Georgia.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 05:12:31 am by The Ghost »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
Re: Ryan's Steak House
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 05:36:10 am »
It is a damn good story!

A piece of Americana.....  well written, humorous.....  and totally relatable by most!!

Post it, let's talk!!

yogi555

Offline Drago

• "Life is a Journey"
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 05:47:51 am »
What is a "Ryan's"?!??  Had to "Duck Duck Go" it...parent corp. had them in CA as "Hometown Buffet"...local one closed a couple of years ago. They were all "Buffets" tho...not a steakhouse in sight?  :shrug:

Offline QueenCatofAragon

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 01:22:15 pm »
We used to have a Ryan’s here.  Bless him and RIP, Jerry Falwell used to love that place.  You could really put on the feedbag.😬
I say this to Beto fans, Trump fans, all fans of politicians: it is un-American, ridiculous, and dangerous to be a fan of a politician. They aren't pop stars. Support them if you agree with their policies. Criticize them when they go wrong. They are servants, not celebrities. —— Matt Walsh

Offline Applewood

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 06:06:27 pm »
No Ryan's in Western PA that I know of, but many years ago, there was a proliferation of Old Country Buffets in this region.  When Dad retired, he laid down the law -- Mom was no longer cooking on Sundays.  So when Old Country Buffet opened a location nearby, that was our family's go-to restaurant on Sundays.  After Dad passed, we stopped going and a while later I noticed the Old Country Buffets in this area had closed.   I think there might still be a couple of them in the midsection of PA around Harrisburg/York.

It's too bad because my family loved the place.  I think I might know why the restaurant failed here.  Despite signs forbidding takeout, I would watch other customers try to slip food from the buffet into their purses or bags or whatever.  One woman in particular had this oversized "old lady" purse.  She had a disability that prevented her from going through the buffet line, so she had her table companions bring food for her.  At one point, someone at her table brought back a heaping plate of rolls.  The lady opened her purse, pulled out this big plastic bag and proceeded to dump all the rolls into that bag, then put the bag in her purse.  Then another person brought back a plateful of creamed spinach.  Again, the woman reached into her purse, this time pulled out a  Tupperware container, dumped the creamed spinach into the container and slipped the container into her purse.  This went on for some time till the lady ended up with fried chicken. potatoes and God knows what else --  enough food to feed herself for a week. 

Wanted to say something to the manager, but my mother said, don't cause trouble, or something.  I don't think she realized thst when customers steal food like that, the restaurant loses money.  The eatery has to make up the shortfall somehow, so the prices go up.  And if raising prices doesn't offset the losses, thr restaurant goes under.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 06:14:08 pm »
Ryan's disappeared from around Houston quite a while ago, and Golden corral isn't fairing much better.
Per population, Houston maybe the highest in the country when it comes to choices of dining out, so it had better be good.
Too many places to choose from, if you can't set yourself up apart from the competition.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 06:15:10 pm »
Ryan's disappeared from around Houston quite a while ago, and Golden corral isn't fairing much better.
Per population, Houston maybe the highest in the country when it comes to choices of dining out, so it had better be good.
Too many places to choose from, if you can't set yourself up apart from the competition.

Wierd.  My posts on this thead disappeared.  Not that it matters, but pretty strange.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 06:17:27 pm »
Wierd.  My posts on this thead disappeared.  Not that it matters, but pretty strange.
That is odd.....
Were the food Gods offended?
Ryan's could be offensive enough.....
Seriously, I'd eat there now and again.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 06:21:00 pm by GrouchoTex »

Offline Mod2

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 06:20:21 pm »

@catfish1957 I looked but didn't find any of your posts on this thread.  Did you possibly mean this one:  http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,355379.msg1943168.html#msg1943168?

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 06:20:38 pm »
No Ryan's in Western PA that I know of, but many years ago, there was a proliferation of Old Country Buffets in this region.  When Dad retired, he laid down the law -- Mom was no longer cooking on Sundays.  So when Old Country Buffet opened a location nearby, that was our family's go-to restaurant on Sundays.  After Dad passed, we stopped going and a while later I noticed the Old Country Buffets in this area had closed.   I think there might still be a couple of them in the midsection of PA around Harrisburg/York.

It's too bad because my family loved the place.  I think I might know why the restaurant failed here.  Despite signs forbidding takeout, I would watch other customers try to slip food from the buffet into their purses or bags or whatever.  One woman in particular had this oversized "old lady" purse.  She had a disability that prevented her from going through the buffet line, so she had her table companions bring food for her.  At one point, someone at her table brought back a heaping plate of rolls.  The lady opened her purse, pulled out this big plastic bag and proceeded to dump all the rolls into that bag, then put the bag in her purse.  Then another person brought back a plateful of creamed spinach.  Again, the woman reached into her purse, this time pulled out a  Tupperware container, dumped the creamed spinach into the container and slipped the container into her purse.  This went on for some time till the lady ended up with fried chicken. potatoes and God knows what else --  enough food to feed herself for a week. 

Wanted to say something to the manager, but my mother said, don't cause trouble, or something.  I don't think she realized thst when customers steal food like that, the restaurant loses money.  The eatery has to make up the shortfall somehow, so the prices go up.  And if raising prices doesn't offset the losses, thr restaurant goes under.

Our Old Country Buffet closed many years ago..it was pretty good.

We stopped going there when I saw a woman a few feet ahead of me sticking her finger in some of the selections and licking it...using the same finger doing it to several other dishes.

I called the manager and he confronted her...he had to throw out all the dishes she was sampling with her finger...I don't do buffets anymore.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 06:23:58 pm »
@catfish1957 I looked but didn't find any of your posts on this thread.  Did you possibly mean this one:  http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,355379.msg1943168.html#msg1943168?

@Mod2

That's it.  Thanks for clearing up that mystery.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 07:10:33 pm »
Our Old Country Buffet closed many years ago..it was pretty good.

We stopped going there when I saw a woman a few feet ahead of me sticking her finger in some of the selections and licking it...using the same finger doing it to several other dishes.

I called the manager and he confronted her...he had to throw out all the dishes she was sampling with her finger...I don't do buffets anymore.

I had to give up buffets when I developed a disability.  Difficult to carry a cane and a plate, or worse, a tray with plates. 

But I have read that buffets are in general notoriously unhealthy -- because of ignoramuses like the woman you described, plus who knows what germs the customers are iimparting upon the food.   Do these peiple wash their hands after they use the ladies' or men's room?  Do they reach under the sneeze guard and cough or sneeze on the food?  Then there is the problem of keeping the food at constantly safe temperatures. Some buffets aren't very good at the latter, the food spoils and customers develop Montezuma's revenge or worse. 

So I guess I'm glad I can't do buffets anymore.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2019, 07:12:13 pm »

I had to give up buffets when I developed a disability.  Difficult to carry a cane and a plate, or worse, a tray with plates. 

But I have read that buffets are in general notoriously unhealthy -- because of ignoramuses like the woman you described, plus who knows what germs the customers are iimparting upon the food.   Do these peiple wash their hands after they use the ladies' or men's room?  Do they reach under the sneeze guard and cough or sneeze on the food?  Then there is the problem of keeping the food at constantly safe temperatures. Some buffets aren't very good at the latter, the food spoils and customers develop Montezuma's revenge or worse. 

So I guess I'm glad I can't do buffets anymore.

Or even worse.  Those who view the term "All You Can Eat" as a personal challenge.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2019, 07:21:02 pm »
Or even worse.  Those who view the term "All You Can Eat" as a personal challenge.

LOL!    :beer:
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2019, 07:54:44 pm »
The Ryan's Steak House I'm familiar with always reminded me of a feedlot for people.  Not my thing.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2019, 11:21:38 pm »
@The Ghost

There seems to be some sort of bias against talking about normal human body functions, good old American ingenuity, and humorous responses to life situations...  color me confused....   :shrug: