Author Topic: Has a bee ever landed on you  (Read 1851 times)

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Has a bee ever landed on you
« on: March 22, 2019, 04:35:30 am »

Yeah...  didn't think so either.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Re: Has a bee ever landed on you
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 07:17:23 am »
I had a bee land on me once.

After that, I kept my mouth shut while on the motorcycle.

I'm not the only one.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 03:00:17 pm »

I'm not the only one.

:beer:

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 03:21:50 pm »
Bee vision is on a different spectrum than ours. The reason flowers compete with each other for brilliance is to attract bees. They love bright colors. So yes, if you go outside with brightly colored clothes a bee certainly could mistake you for a flower.

There is a reason beekeeper suits are all white.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online rustynail

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 03:22:37 pm »
Not a flower it is the salt in your sweat they want.

Offline QueenCatofAragon

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 03:35:25 pm »
No, but a butterfly flew into my face once.

Hence my phobia of the damn things.
I say this to Beto fans, Trump fans, all fans of politicians: it is un-American, ridiculous, and dangerous to be a fan of a politician. They aren't pop stars. Support them if you agree with their policies. Criticize them when they go wrong. They are servants, not celebrities. —— Matt Walsh

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 03:51:27 pm »

I'm not the only one.

I had a Jr High classmate knocked off his Honda 50 by a bumblebee. After he was done tumbling he walked after his bike. The crown of the road steered the bike to the curb where a foot peg dug into a yard. The bike didn't even fall over. It was leaning against the curb when he got to it.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 03:51:35 pm »
No, but a moose once bit my sister...
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 03:55:26 pm »
No, but a butterfly flew into my face once.

Hence my phobia of the damn things.

If they didn't have those lovely wings, they would look just like any other creepy bug thing.
*shudder*
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online Wingnut

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 07:25:30 pm »
No, but a moose once bit my sister...

Was she was carving her initials on the moose with the sharpened end of an interspace toothbrush...

-Signed
Eric Idle

Online Wingnut

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 07:26:25 pm »
If they didn't have those lovely wings, they would look just like any other creepy bug thing.
*shudder*

The caterpillar does all the work....

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 07:40:33 pm »
I was stung by one when I was a baby/toddler
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2019, 07:40:42 pm »

I'm not the only one.
The moustache stops most of the bugs...
I really dislike wasps. One went up the sleeve of my leathers while I was ripping down the road....stung me seven times from wrist to armpit before I got the bike shut down....After that I wore my gauntlets...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2019, 08:11:22 pm »
Honeybee, no... never.... But wasps and flies and moths often do.... Most time I don't mind, occasionally a overt friendly butterfly will repeatedly land on me. It is sweet.... but most the time around here is you being swarmed by underground yellow jacket wasps when you mow over their hidden ground nest. They will eat ya alive... worse was when I dug up one of their nests with a weed eater in some pine area under the trees. Had to go to hospital with that one (about 30 stings).

Most territorial wasp is the guinea wasp (look like an under-nourished yellow jacket) which makes homes in walls of things like unused guest houses and such.... They will sting ya if you get within 20 feet of their nest.

This time of year, the most predominate buzz is from the carpenter bees (look like bumblebees) that are destructive to wooden structures around your house (bore holes in the wood).
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 08:16:37 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2019, 08:17:31 pm »
Honeybee, no... never.... But wasps and flies and moths often do.... Most time I don't mind, occasionally a overt friendly butterfly will repeatedly land on me. It is sweet.... but most the time around here is you being swarmed by underground yellow jacket wasps when you mow over their hidden ground nest. They will eat ya alive... worse was when I dug up one of their nests with a weed eater in some pine area under the trees. Had to go to hospital with that one (about 30 stings).

Most territorial wasp is the guinea wasp which makes homes in walls of things like unused guest houses and such.... They will sting ya if you get within 20 feet of their nest.

This time of year, the most predominate buzz is from the carpenter bees (look like bumblebees) that are destructive to wooden structures around your house (bore holes in the wood).
Break out the shop vac....Use an extension, piece of conduit or whatever, and set it by the entrance to the hive. Singles, coming and going will get sucked in. After a while, they come out in pairs (and they get sucked in)... leave it running for a few hours, and the ones coming back won't make it in, the ones leaving won't make it out. Be sure to plug the end of the hose (a shop rag will do) and leave it for a week or two before you open it up....
I cleaned out three nests that way, altogether.
The only downside was that the following year was a wet one, and I had to set beer traps to drown the explosion in the garden slug population.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 08:19:02 pm by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2019, 08:18:23 pm »
I took a june bug right to the back of the throat - Laughing, standing in the back of a pickup, holding onto the roll bar, and going about 60...

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2019, 08:23:54 pm »
Break out the shop vac....Use an extension, piece of conduit or whatever, and set it by the entrance to the hive. Singles, coming and going will get sucked in. After a while, they come out in pairs (and they get sucked in)... leave it running for a few hours, and the ones coming back won't make it in, the ones leaving won't make it out. Be sure to plug the end of the hose (a shop rag will do) and leave it for a week or two before you open it up....
I cleaned out three nests that way, altogether.
The only downside was that the following year was a wet one, and I had to set beer traps to drown the explosion in the garden slug population.

That is interesting, but like Yellow Jackets, Guinea wasps tend to have more than one entrances to their nest. Hard to get close enough to observe them.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2019, 08:31:00 pm »
That is interesting, but like Yellow Jackets, Guinea wasps tend to have more than one entrances to their nest. Hard to get close enough to observe them.
Wear dark clothes or ones that blend in with the background. move slowly. Try not to stir them up. The vac sucks any pheromones up with them....When they quit using the hole, duct tape it and watch for others exiting or landing nearby.  It takes a little patience, but beats having the hive around.  I used a small shop vac with an extension tube from an old Kirby I had laying around, which gives about three feet of hard pipe out front and helps you keep a ittle farther away from the wasps.

Bees, I don't mind so much, they can only sting once, and they serve a useful purpose.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 08:34:16 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2019, 08:34:21 pm »
Be sure to plug the end of the hose (a shop rag will do) and leave it for a week or two before you open it up....

Use a wet vac with water in the container...

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2019, 08:36:54 pm »
Just wait for night, get coated up, walk in and blow Pyrethrins powder in their holes.
Done deal.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2019, 08:39:00 pm »
Use a wet vac with water in the container...
To each his own, and that might work ( I didn't try it, myself), because I'm always tipping the darned thing over.

If you don''t need the vac anytime soon, dry doesn't make a puddle of goo in the bottom, either. :shrug:

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2019, 08:42:26 pm »
To each his own, and that might work ( I didn't try it, myself), because I'm always tipping the darned thing over.

If you don''t need the vac anytime soon, dry doesn't make a puddle of goo in the bottom, either. :shrug:

Aw, it ain't nothin.. I just need the vac back quicker than that is all. They fall in the water, and it's all done by morning.

Offline QueenCatofAragon

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2019, 03:36:51 am »
*shudder*

@Polly Ticks

Lol, someone—wish I could remember who it was—said that a butterfly was just a big hairy moth in a fancy dress.
I say this to Beto fans, Trump fans, all fans of politicians: it is un-American, ridiculous, and dangerous to be a fan of a politician. They aren't pop stars. Support them if you agree with their policies. Criticize them when they go wrong. They are servants, not celebrities. —— Matt Walsh

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2019, 04:12:22 pm »
Not a flower it is the salt in your sweat they want.
Had bees build a hive under my backyard shed, one day I mowed at the wrong time and they got really pissed off, it wasn't my sweat they wanted and I had more than a few land on me......................just long enough to sting. I sealed those bastards up that night!