Author Topic: Ivanka Trump Wants America to Kick Addiction to Four-Year College, Massive Student Debt  (Read 1337 times)

Offline roamer_1

You want to know a guy that is always busy, and has always been busy for the last few generations? Appliance repairman. If you are any good at it at all, you will be so busy you wont know what to do with it...

The very same with power equipment repair.

Masons are never long out of work.

Mechanics, same thing - Though anymore, that field now requires a trade cert.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Some of that is true, and I won't argue it with you @Chosen Daughter , but also true, our country has become top heavy wrt college and even trade school... You can do damn well as a tile layer, as an instance, with no training beyond a basic capacity for math and reading, basic business sense, and an apprenticeship under a master for a year or two. After that, with an entrepreneurial spirit, hang out your own shingle and work hard, and you will succeed well enough for a wife, a nice home, and a passel of kids.

Compare that road, where you are paid to learn beyond a generic high school diploma, where you can begin the trade debt free and early (with your own business by twenty-three to twenty-five years)... Compare that to coming out of college with no experience at twenty five or so with a quarter million in debt around your neck, and years of struggle behind the eight-ball waiting for placement, in an industry that, quite likely you are going to have to change out of at some point in your life... Where your investment in knowledge no longer serves you.

I had three major course changes in my life - Think of the waste had I invested years and untold fortune into any of those directions. The first true problem in investing in a very specific future is that shit happens - It always does, and it cannot be accounted for.

Well I wouldn't usually do it but this Huffington Post article shows how much of these universities are funded by the US government.  Its billions.  If the government continues to give Americans the shaft concerning education.  To encourage Americans not to get college degrees we should shut off the funding.  We encourage foreigners to come and take advantage of loans.  Then they get the jobs that Americans who go to the same colleges should be getting.  American citizens are supporting foreign education and then telling Americans they shouldn't go to college.  Our government supports foreign college and then sets them up for American jobs with American companies.

Not all Americans are going to be entreprenuers and start their own business.  MAGA means nothing.  Except highly publicized discussions between POTUS for undergraduate jobs.  Like the recent decission for Chevy to close the Ohio plant.  This discussion by Ivanka tells the story that Americans should not seek education because they won't be able to pay for it.  What does that say about MAGA?  Education and jobs are not for Americans.  But Americans should continue to send money to these for profit colleges who will educate foreigners.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/27/universities-government-money_n_3165186.html

http://www.myvisajobs.com/Reports/2018-H1B-Visa-Sponsor.aspx
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 10:12:57 pm by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

You want to know a guy that is always busy, and has always been busy for the last few generations? Appliance repairman. If you are any good at it at all, you will be so busy you wont know what to do with it...

The very same with power equipment repair.

Masons are never long out of work.

Mechanics, same thing - Though anymore, that field now requires a trade cert.

Construction jobs all go to foreigners now too.  Including Masonry.  We hate Americans here in America. 
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline roamer_1

Well I wouldn't usually do it but this Huffington Post article shows how much of these universities are funded by the US government.  Its billions. 

@Chosen Daughter
Oh don't even get me started on that - But the truth of that problem is found more in the fields of study that should not pass muster - If college was competitive, not only would they be judged on their cost as well as their merit, they would be forced to cut programs and research that did not show promise.

Like anything in a competitive capitalist system, if something costs too much without associated effectiveness, look for what is propping it up and knock those props out. That would be my foremost complaint.

And the cure is the same for yours and mine - remove all government and foreign funding, that they must stand or fall on their own, and watch how fast 'Lesbian Dance Theory' goes away. Watch how fast admissions, curriculum, merit, and placement begin to line up... and how fast the costs come down...

Offline roamer_1

Construction jobs all go to foreigners now too.  Including Masonry.  We hate Americans here in America.

Not around here... I have kin who are repairmen or in the trades in KC and Chicago too... Michigan and Tennessee...

Online NavyCanDo

I would never say this to my wife, but she did graduate from college, with her parents paying for it, but never has made over 25K a year in all her years of working, and now doesn't work at all, relying on my income.
Me, I went into the Navy after HS, and after I got out worked my tell off in a few different jobs until landing one in aerospace that now pays me a comfortable 109K a year.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline roamer_1

I am willing to admit that my perspective on colleges is skewed, as I have tended to see the downside - I have dug ditches alongside of folks with doctorates. For that reason, my view has always been toward college being a huge waste of time and money.

Offline Chosen Daughter

I am willing to admit that my perspective on colleges is skewed, as I have tended to see the downside - I have dug ditches alongside of folks with doctorates. For that reason, my view has always been toward college being a huge waste of time and money.

I am not saying that isn't true.  But companies do not hire people without college education.  Its just that they don't hire Americans.  You can't be an Engineer without Engineering degree. 

This isn't about Americans going into debt.  Ivanka is bringing it to the surface because it is about debt default by students who couldn't land jobs to support themselves and pay off their debt.  She isn't concerned about Americans.  If they were concerned about Americans they would address the corruption in H1-B.

Offline roamer_1

But companies do not hire people without college education. 

That's part of the problem right there, and one that is changing - As a paint company, I quit advertising for journeymen painters, because so few knew their game... I found it better for me to hire general workers that showed an aptitude and train them myself... I was having to train them anyway, and they cost a whole lot less during training if they were not expecting a journeymen's wage.

I'd hire em on a basic salary of fifteen hundred a month for the first six months - probationary - and see how far their aptitude went... see how they fit into my crews... see how they treated my gear... At the end of the probation, we'd reevaluate. By then they either know what they are doing or they don't, and ain't ever going to...

That's the same thing everywhere. There is always room for apprenticeships, and it will turn out to be not only a cheaper investment, but you'll end up with someone tailor made to what you need.

Its just that they don't hire Americans.  You can't be an Engineer without Engineering degree. 

That needs to be challenged. And part of that is governmental interference restricting the ability to offer apprenticeships.

She isn't concerned about Americans.  If they were concerned about Americans they would address the corruption in H1-B.

That's right, right there.

Offline Chosen Daughter

That's part of the problem right there, and one that is changing - As a paint company, I quit advertising for journeymen painters, because so few knew their game... I found it better for me to hire general workers that showed an aptitude and train them myself... I was having to train them anyway, and they cost a whole lot less during training if they were not expecting a journeymen's wage.

I'd hire em on a basic salary of fifteen hundred a month for the first six months - probationary - and see how far their aptitude went... see how they fit into my crews... see how they treated my gear... At the end of the probation, we'd reevaluate. By then they either know what they are doing or they don't, and ain't ever going to...

That's the same thing everywhere. There is always room for apprenticeships, and it will turn out to be not only a cheaper investment, but you'll end up with someone tailor made to what you need.

That needs to be challenged. And part of that is governmental interference restricting the ability to offer apprenticeships.

That's right, right there.

Here in Washington there are hardly any Construction workers that are not Latino.  Just saying.  American workers are being squeezed.  White Collar, blue collar.  Doesn't matter.  And I find it quite offensive that the Presidents daughter would discourage Americans from getting an education.  She may be right but her father campaigned on America First.  Yet H1-B continue to rise.  You cannot become a Doctor, Lawyer, Corporate Executive............etc. without the education.  Trump brags about unemployment rates while college educated men and women are working part time jobs that cannot pay off the debt from their schooling.  That is what Ivanka is talking about.  And instead of going after the visa program that is shutting out American workers she is discouraging Americans from going to school.  From dreaming of being Surgeons, Lawyers, or even members of Congress. And POTUS isn't a apprenticeship job.

Overall it seems that the Trump administration is pushing globalism over American workers.  American childrens hopes to get an education and secure the American dream.  A career and home.  A family that they can support with their education.  But education is a gamble.  It may or may not pay off regardless of how hard a student works.  Because of globalism.  Because Employers prefer to hire foreigners and the government bows to their ever increasing numbers of work visa's.

https://www.epi.org/blog/h-1b-visas-do-not-create-jobs-or-improve-conditions-for-u-s-workers/

« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 05:11:59 am by Chosen Daughter »

Offline roamer_1

Overall it seems that the Trump administration is pushing globalism over American workers.

Well of course he's a globalist. He's a liberal international hostler from NYC.