Author Topic: Bolsonaro gets Trump's praise but few concessions, riling Brazilians  (Read 249 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Bolsonaro gets Trump's praise but few concessions, riling Brazilians
Lisandra Paraguassu, Anthony Boadle

WASHINGTON/BRASILIA (Reuters) - Brazil’s right-wing President Jair Bolsonaro won glowing praise and conditional promises from U.S. President Donald Trump on his visit to the White House this week, yet Brazilian negotiators came away grumbling about their hosts driving a hard bargain.

Diplomats and other officials said Brazil got few immediate concessions in return for granting a unilateral visa waiver for U.S. visitors, a tariff-free quota for wheat imports and easier access for U.S. space launches from Brazil.

Bolsonaro, an outspoken Trump admirer who seemed eager to please at their first meeting, failed to win more room for Brazil’s sugar exports or overturn a U.S. ban on fresh Brazilian beef - both major objectives of the country’s farm sector.

Read more at: https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-usa-brazil-negotiations-analysis/bolsonaro-gets-trumps-praise-but-few-concessions-riling-brazilians-idUKKCN1R12I0

Offline kidd

Re: Bolsonaro gets Trump's praise but few concessions, riling Brazilians
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 02:25:38 pm »
Brazil was given status as a major non-NATO ally
Brazil and the US discussed what to do with Venezuela.

Seems to me that was significant progress.

Trump is re-negotiating tariffs with EVERY country, as he feels that the USA is getting screwed. I don't think it was a surprise that he was tough with Brazil as well.