Author Topic: CCW Training: Are We Practicing the Wrong Skills?  (Read 1871 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
CCW Training: Are We Practicing the Wrong Skills?
« on: March 21, 2019, 06:18:35 pm »
NRA Explore  by Tamara Keel - Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Over the last couple years, I’ve started paying more attention to the skills we practice ostensibly in relation to using a handgun for self-defense and their actual frequency of use in reality. Conversely, there are skills that frequently show up in defensive encounters that are, unfortunately, almost never practiced.

Take the reload, specifically the out-of-battery (or slide-lock) reload. Thanks to the video camera-encrusted panopticon in which we live these days, there are literally thousands upon thousands of defensive-handgun uses available to review. These videos tell us that the need to speed reload an empty gun is a non-event, statistically speaking.

The best counter-argument to this I have heard came from the late instructor Todd Green. Namely, practicing with the gun is going to involve reloading it, and if you’re going to be reloading in practice, you may as well use those repetitions to learn how to do it rapidly and positively.

More: https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2019/3/5/ccw-training-are-we-practicing-the-wrong-skills/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=insider&utm_campaign=0319

Offline verga

Re: CCW Training: Are We Practicing the Wrong Skills?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 06:51:56 pm »
BKMK
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 07:25:23 pm »
From what I remember, ccw mostly teachs how to use a gun Safely and how to stay within the law.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 07:33:23 pm »
From what I remember, ccw mostly teachs how to use a gun Safely and how to stay within the law.

That's a starting point.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 12:16:31 pm »
5 Critical Mistakes Made by Defensive Gun Owners

NRA Shooting Illustrated  by Sheriff Jim Wilson - Tuesday, April 10, 2018

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2018/4/10/5-critical-mistakes-made-by-defensive-gun-owners/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=insider&utm_campaign=0419

Working in the field of personal defense, I make an effort to keep informed about defensive techniques, equipment and training. The most-obvious thing I see is that there is a lot of good gear and ideas out there. However, it is also obvious that there are some folks who, though they seem well-meaning, come up with some faulty information and ideas. It is important for us not to be too critical of this sort of thing. After all, we went through the learning process to develop our defensive skills and training, too. With that in mind, here are a few defensive mistakes that occur from time to time.

Mistake No. 1: Not Learning Your Defensive Handgun

We seem to live in a world of instant gratification. Some folks decide that they need to do something about their own personal protection, so they buy a gun, some ammo, shoot it a bit and think they are good to go.---

Mistake No. 2: Rotating Your Daily Concealed-Carry Gun

Another mistake that some defensive shooters make is this business of having several types of defensive handguns in their “rotation” for everyday carry. ---

Mistake No. 3: Not Carrying with a Round in the Chamber

Speaking of coming second in a fight, another easy way to give a bad guy the jump on you is carrying a semi-automatic pistol with an empty chamber.---

Mistake No. 4: Not Having a Light for Nighttime Use

We occasionally hear of a person being awakened by a noise at night and mistaking a family member or house guest for a threat. ---

Mistake No. 5: Not Seeking Out Quality Firearm Training

---Getting your concealed-carry license is like graduating from kindergarten. I’m not trying to put anyone down with that statement. It is only meant to point out that your education is ahead of you. ---

More at link

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 12:34:31 pm »
NRA Explore  by Tamara Keel - Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Over the last couple years, I’ve started paying more attention to the skills we practice ostensibly in relation to using a handgun for self-defense and their actual frequency of use in reality. Conversely, there are skills that frequently show up in defensive encounters that are, unfortunately, almost never practiced.

Take the reload, specifically the out-of-battery (or slide-lock) reload. Thanks to the video camera-encrusted panopticon in which we live these days, there are literally thousands upon thousands of defensive-handgun uses available to review. These videos tell us that the need to speed reload an empty gun is a non-event, statistically speaking.

The best counter-argument to this I have heard came from the late instructor Todd Green. Namely, practicing with the gun is going to involve reloading it, and if you’re going to be reloading in practice, you may as well use those repetitions to learn how to do it rapidly and positively.

More: https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2019/3/5/ccw-training-are-we-practicing-the-wrong-skills/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=insider&utm_campaign=0319

@Elderberry

There is no real need to practice quick reloading for self-defense. You are not fighting a war,and you are not a SWAT cop taking down a gang headquarters. If it is truly self-defense you  are facing only one or two attackers,you are only a few feet away from each other,and they are noting hiding behind cover.

The focus should be on hitting what you shoot at,being able to define the more dangerous target for the first shot,and making sure you shoot both of them in the heart or the head at least twice. Do this and you will never need more than one magazine or cylinder full of ammo.

Plenty of time to reload while they are bleeding out.

My "normal" carry gun when I go to town these days is a 44 Special revolver with 5 200 grain hollowpoints,and I don't bother with reloads. If I shoot 5 times there will be at least two or three guns just laying around I can pick up to shoot if I need to shoot the 6th time. Remember,these are petty criminals,not hardened soldiers you are facing,and if you shoot the first one in the head and his pals see his head virtually exploding,they are going to be thinking more about running away than anything else. They don't join forces to rob strangers on the street because they are brave men. They do it because they are gutless punks.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 01:06:22 pm »
@sneakypete

Some things need to be practiced much more than others. That doesn't mean they don't need to be practiced at all, just not as often.  I would, like to see, that one strives, to shoot often enough, that one's shooting skills are ingrained in their "Muscle Memory". At that point, your "subconscious mind", is actually aiming the gun for you, without you having to consciously focus on aiming. You just "Know" that you are going to hit your target. But that takes a Lot of Practice. Many people are not committed to shooting often enough to develop their shooting skills to that point.

Offline Meldrew

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 02:22:30 pm »
I've seen people (especially guys) get all wrapped around the axle about the tinyist differences in two almost identical guns.  I've seen people pass a CC course and be completely convinced that they now know everything they need to know to own and use a gun. 

Owning a gun (self-defense) is a lifestyle not a thing.  The gun is not a talisman as so many seem to believe.  We're pretty good at selling guns, showing people how to make them work and explaining how to keep yourself out of legal trouble but we're not so good at working with the day to day training that makes it all work.  More courses like Gunsite et. al. that don't cost $1000 where moving and shooting and tactics are emphasized would
go a long way to completing the training cycle.  Of course, this requires that people actually make the time to do these things and unfortunately, few will. 

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2019, 02:58:28 pm »
The 5 rules of a gun fight:

1) Gun beats no gun - so the gun you left behind because it is too heavy or the jam that you can not clear is  ... no gun
2) Fast beats slow - getting the gun into the fight is VERY important.  The one who shoots first normally causes the other to take cover.
3) A hit beats a miss - the .22 that hits is worth a whole lot more than the .44 mag that misses
4) Big holes beat little holes - given rules 1 through 3, carry the biggest caliber that you will carry, can draw rapidly and hit your target.  Hollow points make bigger holes
5) Two beats one - two holes are better than one.  If the situation requires a shot, make it at double tap

Offline verga

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 03:02:36 pm »
I picked up this thing called "iTarget" https://www.itargetpro.com/
Living in the "city" I can't practice with live ammo.
This lets me go into the basement and practice whenever I like.
Saves me a lot on the cost of Ammo as well. $18-20 per box, Pays for itself after 5-7 sessions.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Meldrew

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2019, 03:51:14 pm »
I picked up this thing called "iTarget" https://www.itargetpro.com/
Living in the "city" I can't practice with live ammo.
This lets me go into the basement and practice whenever I like.
Saves me a lot on the cost of Ammo as well. $18-20 per box, Pays for itself after 5-7 sessions.

We have one here too.  LOVE that thing.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2019, 03:52:48 pm »
We have one here too.  LOVE that thing.

Me too.