Author Topic: Went to the M4 Qualification Range Today  (Read 1168 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Went to the M4 Qualification Range Today
« on: March 21, 2019, 04:16:06 am »
So apparently the Army lets soldiers qualify at the range with an ACOG mounted to their rifle. Even in basic they get to do this. When did that start?

According to some of my friends it’s been about a decade ago. I was surprised to say the least.

I guess I’m behind the times.  They even let them zero with optics. Blew me away. I feel like some throwback out there zeroing and qualifying with noting but iron sights.

The way I look at it...batteries can fail and shrapnel can break scopes. The ability to use iron sights effectively is eternal.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Went to the M4 Qualification Range Today
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 07:28:50 am »
So apparently the Army lets soldiers qualify at the range with an ACOG mounted to their rifle. Even in basic they get to do this. When did that start?

According to some of my friends it’s been about a decade ago. I was surprised to say the least.

I guess I’m behind the times.  They even let them zero with optics. Blew me away. I feel like some throwback out there zeroing and qualifying with noting but iron sights.

The way I look at it...batteries can fail and shrapnel can break scopes. The ability to use iron sights effectively is eternal.
I agree. My deer rifle has a scope on it, but it's on a tip-off mount. It has iron sights, too. All my rifles have them. At my age optics are especially nice to get in there and even to see better, but there is no substitute for sights organic to the rifle.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Went to the M4 Qualification Range Today
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 10:52:37 am »
I totally agree for military purposes. For hunting, I do not feel that it is so important. Years ago I used to backpack in to hunt and I could see the need to have a backup sight. But even then I didn't have an iron sight on my rifle. None of my bolt actions currently have any iron sights. Most don't even have a front sight. My pump and lever action guns do. My 2 AR uppers don't, but all my other semi's do except for my Universal Ferret Carbine. No irons on my Contender either. I always hunt with a sidearm. It has iron sights.