Author Topic: New Zealand's Prime Minister announces ban on all assault rifles following massacre under strong gun  (Read 671 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
(CNN) — New Zealand's Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said that all military-style semi-automatic weapons, assault rifles and high-capacity magazines will be banned in the country following the mass shootings at two Christchurch mosques that killed 50 people.

"Every semi-automatic weapon used in the terror attack on Friday will be banned," Ardern said at a press conference in the New Zealand capital Wellington on Thursday. "This legislation will be drafted and introduced in urgency."

Ardern said she hopes the law will be in place by April 11. She encouraged all gun owners who wish to surrender their weapons to start now.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/03/20/asia/new-zealand-christchurch-gun-ban-intl/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

"Today I am announcing that New Zealand will ban all military-style semi-automatic weapons. We will also ban all assault rifles. We will also ban all high capacity magazines," Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said in a statement Wednesday. "We will ban all parts with the ability to convert semi-automatic or any other type of firearm into a military style semi-automatic weapon."

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/zealand-prime-minister-announces-sweeping-gun-law-changes-022800586--abc-news-topstories.html

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Some 460,000 rifles in NZ, but not broken down ti say how many Semi-autos.

https://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/new-zealand

Estimated to be 2-3X that many unregistered firearms.

I wonder how many are just going to turn them in?

Like the half million bump stocks out there which will be illegal come March 26th.

Are people just going to give them up?

To me, this makes as much sense as ordering rental trucks crushed because McVeigh used one in OK City to haul a bomb to a Federal Building.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 03:15:50 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline edpc

To me, this makes as much sense as ordering rental trucks crushed because McVeigh used one in OK City to haul a bomb to a Federal Building.

Well, after OKC, the ATF and fertilizer companies started monitoring sales of ammonium nitrate.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

Well, after OKC, the ATF and fertilizer companies started monitoring sales of ammonium nitrate.
ANFO had been around a long time before Oklahoma City. It was/is a popular mining explosive. The properties of ammonium nitrate were well known, especially after the Texas City Disaster in 1947.

I'm surprised they hadn't been monitoring large purchases, especially by someone without a mine or a farm.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 07:05:56 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

(CNN) — New Zealand's Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said that all military-style semi-automatic weapons, assault rifles and high-capacity magazines will be banned....

I want to know what military uses semi-auto and not full auto?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline skeeter

"Military-style" = black

Offline edpc

"Military-style" = black

Glad I got the earth tone Tavor.

Offline skeeter

Glad I got the earth tone Tavor.

Tavor bullpup? Nice squirrel gun.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 03:23:11 pm by skeeter »

Offline edpc

Tavor bullpup? Nice squirrel gun.

That one has been on my wish list, for a while. I had kept putting it off, since it was pricey. However, I got it a few days after Stoneman Douglas, thinking there’d be a similar knee-jerk reaction regarding our gun laws.

Offline mountaineer

They're convinced the AR-15 and just about every other semi-auto is an assault rifle.  :shrug:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org