Author Topic: Iran just struck a hoard of deals with Iraq, and Washington isn’t happy  (Read 364 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Iranian president Hassan Rouhani has returned from his first-ever trip to Iraq with a raft of agreements for expanded trade, cross-border infrastructure, and pledges of greater cooperation with Baghdad.

Leaders of both countries embraced strengthening ties — something Washington has been watching closely.

Iran is upping its game in Iraq as U.S. influence recedes, deepening ties with its war-weary neighbor and betting on bilateral economic activity to help offset tough sanctions imposed by the Trump administration.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/20/iran-just-struck-several-deals-with-iraq-and-washington-isnt-happy.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
With a massive shared border and religious and cultural ties — and the major role of Iranian-backed paramilitaries in Iraq’s defeat of the Islamic State — the Islamic Republic’s influence in Iraq is entrenched.

Remember this, every time you hear Trump discuss the defeat of ISIS. The caliphate has merely changed hands. It’s now under the influence of Tehran and extends through Iran, Iraq, Syria, and Lebanon.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
With a massive shared border and religious and cultural ties — and the major role of Iranian-backed paramilitaries in Iraq’s defeat of the Islamic State — the Islamic Republic’s influence in Iraq is entrenched.

Remember this, every time you hear Trump discuss the defeat of ISIS. The caliphate has merely changed hands. It’s now under the influence of Tehran and extends through Iran, Iraq, Syria, and Lebanon.

There is nothing new about the Shia crescent and indeed, that is what it is called.

And I certainly would not equate Iran with ISIS but that's just my opinion.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
There is also a bill for our troops to be forced to leave. Could pass, probably won't and even if it did, indications are we will not honor it.