Author Topic: Oil and Gas Employs Near 350,000 Texans in 2018  (Read 1049 times)

Offline thackney

Oil and Gas Employs Near 350,000 Texans in 2018
« on: March 20, 2019, 01:30:34 pm »
https://www.rigzone.com/news/oil_and_gas_employs_near_350000_texans_in_2018-20-mar-2019-158419-article/
March 20, 2019

The oil and natural gas industry employed over 348,000 Texans in 2018, Todd Staples, president of the Texas Oil & Gas Association (TXOGA), revealed in a statement published on TXOGA’s website earlier this week.

In the statement, Staples also highlighted that the Texas oil and gas industry paid more than $14 billion in state and local taxes and state royalties in 2018 and represented 29 percent of Texas’ gross state product.

“No matter where you live in Texas, the Texas oil and natural gas industry benefits you, and it does so in a greater capacity than you might realize,” Staples said in his statement.

“From exploration and production, to transmission and processing, to refining, servicing and marketing, the men and women in the oil and natural gas industry are the reason for the unparalleled success of Texas,” he added.

In the statement, Staples said we “too seldom” hear the good news of the Texas oil and natural gas industry’s benefits to the state and are “so often fed misinformation from groups wrongfully attacking the industry”....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

Re: Oil and Gas Employs Near 350,000 Texans in 2018
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 01:36:25 pm »

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 05:31:46 pm »

Count me in that number, since 1982, 37 years

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 11:22:45 pm »
Until Texas gets similarly abused.

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2019/03/judge_blocks_oil_drilling_in_wyoming_because_of_climate_change.html

I don't think it'll happen in Texas. The judge blocked drilling on BLM land.

Texas is the second largest state in the Union with around 268,000 square miles, and less than 1.5% of that land is owned by the Federal Government, almost all in the form of National Parks, National Forest land, or Military Bases, with barely any BLM administered land.

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 01:29:52 pm »
I don't think it'll happen in Texas. The judge blocked drilling on BLM land.
Do you honestly believe it makes any difference to him and he would not just as eagerly deny other types of lands in the name of 'climate change'?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2019, 01:43:14 am »
Do you honestly believe it makes any difference to him and he would not just as eagerly deny other types of lands in the name of 'climate change'?

I do. I don't believe he can make the jump from federally own land to privately owned land.

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 07:38:11 pm »
I do. I don't believe he can make the jump from federally own land to privately owned land.
I see no such distinction in the article.  It simply says that the lessor, BLM, must do climate reviews accounting for past, present and future emissions.

BLM is lessor of federal lands.  What difference to that judge doing the same to ANY lessor?  All in the name of climate change on a national basis?

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2019, 08:00:16 pm »
I see no such distinction in the article.  It simply says that the lessor, BLM, must do climate reviews accounting for past, present and future emissions.

BLM is lessor of federal lands.  What difference to that judge doing the same to ANY lessor?  All in the name of climate change on a national basis?

The judge's ruling was based on the National Environmental Policy Act that does not affect private lessors.

U.S. District Court Judge Rudolph Contreras is asking the bureau to redo its nine environmental assessments and Finding of No Significant Impact analyses, which federal law mandates must include thorough research on the impacts the projects may have on climate change.

The decision by Judge Rudolph Contreras of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia found that the U.S. Bureau of Land Management (BLM) failed to adequately assess the environmental impacts of drilling on the roughly 300,000 acres by not studying how each proposed drilling project could contribute to overall U.S. carbon emissions.

An assessment of how drilling affects the environment is required under the National Environmental Policy Act. The lack of specificity in the bureau's environmental assessment made it inadequate, Contreras said.

The National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA)

It requires prior review and analysis of nearly every proposal to develop oil and gas, coal, and other minerals located on federal lands, and nearly every proposal to develop federal minerals located under fee surface.

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2019, 11:31:17 pm »
The judge's ruling was based on the National Environmental Policy Act that does not affect private lessors.
The NEPA is the Nixon-era Policy Act.

You posted this from the article
An assessment of how drilling affects the environment is required under the National Environmental Policy Act. The lack of specificity in the bureau's environmental assessment made it inadequate, Contreras said.

The National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA)

It requires prior review and analysis of nearly every proposal to develop oil and gas, coal, and other minerals located on federal lands, and nearly every proposal to develop federal minerals located under fee surface.

When I read that act, I cannot find the language that says this applies solely to federal lands.  Instead, it appears to apply to both federal and non-federal as it specifies actions by the federal government that impact human environments.  Any review by the federal government is a federal action.

It is a reason for example of why the federal government can stop the construction of the Dakota pipeline constructed on private lands.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/whitehouse.gov/files/ceq/NEPA_full_text.pdf
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 11:34:26 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2019, 01:22:44 am »
@Elderberry

I found this document which listed the federal agencies that have jurisdiction under NEPA.  Warning:  It is 48 pages long.

Federal and Federal-State Agencies with Jurisdiction by Law or Special Expertise
on Environmental Quality Issues

https://ceq.doe.gov/docs/nepa-practice/Agency-Jurisdiction-and-Expertise-formerly-Appendix-II-2018-06-15.pdf

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2019, 01:42:49 am »
@Elderberry

I found this document which listed the federal agencies that have jurisdiction under NEPA.  Warning:  It is 48 pages long.

Federal and Federal-State Agencies with Jurisdiction by Law or Special Expertise
on Environmental Quality Issues

https://ceq.doe.gov/docs/nepa-practice/Agency-Jurisdiction-and-Expertise-formerly-Appendix-II-2018-06-15.pdf

You got me! @IsailedawayfromFR

I forgot about the protections of the "Precious Snail Darter" and all his friends.

Department of the Interior
– Fish and Wildlife Service (effects of oil and gas development on ESA-listed species and critical habitat,

– Geological Survey (oil and gas resources in general; effects of oil and gas development on species and their habitat