Author Topic: The Elephant in the Tunnel: Preparing to Fight and Win Underground  (Read 231 times)

rangerrebew

The Elephant in the Tunnel: Preparing to Fight and Win Underground

Walker Mills | March 19, 2019
The Elephant in the Tunnel: Preparing to Fight and Win Underground

“Sir, what do you want us to do about the tunnel?” one of my squad leaders asked. We were conducting platoon attacks at the massive Range 220 complex at the Marine Air Ground Combat Center in Twentynine Palms, California as part of a training exercise in 2017. Nowhere in my training had tunnels come up or been addressed as a tactical problem.

“Seal it, post security, and we’ll deal with it later,” I replied, an answer that not only seemed best for my platoon at the time, but also sums up the US military’s response to tunnels and subterranean warfare over the last century. We were able to clear our lane successfully and I was proud of how the platoon preformed. But, the tunnel nagged at me. Was there a right answer, or even a good answer?

https://mwi.usma.edu/elephant-tunnel-preparing-fight-win-underground/?utm_source=RC%20Defense%20Morning%20Recon&utm_campaign=bf032e4c47-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_03_18_06_40&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_694f73a8dc-bf032e4c47-81835773