Author Topic: Woodstock 50 lineup revealed at secret session  (Read 801 times)

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Woodstock 50 lineup revealed at secret session
« on: March 19, 2019, 11:45:18 pm »
https://www.lohud.com/story/news/local/2019/03/19/woodstock-50-lineup-announcement-2019-black-keys-common-john-fogarty-miley-cyrus/3205213002/

Day 3, Aug. 18: Jay-Z, Imagine Dragons, Halsey, Cage the Elephant, Brandi Carlile, Janelle Monae

(excerpt)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Woodstock 50 lineup revealed at secret session
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 11:48:22 pm »
Yeah, first of all... 1, this isn't at Woodstock, it's in Watkins Glen. 2, I know it's not the 60s anymore and that most of the artists were on the cutting edge of rock at the time, but... some of these choices of musical acts make absolutely no sense, either as cutting-edge or as a nostalgia.

I mean, Jay-Z? Please...

(Note the bottom of the article, though: there's going to be a real Woodstock 50th anniversary, at Woodstock, the same weekend.)

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 11:52:54 pm »
Gotta drive across country to catch Country Joe McDonald, who had one goofy protest song 50 years ago.

Time to put the whole Summer of Love thing to bed once and for all folks. Its over.

Call it something else maybe and move it out of upstate NY.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 11:53:47 pm by skeeter »

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 12:27:46 am »
Gotta drive across country to catch Country Joe McDonald, who had one goofy protest song 50 years ago.

Time to put the whole Summer of Love thing to bed once and for all folks. Its over.
Arlo Guthrie (who's going to be at the real Woodstock 50th birthday) once told a story about a conversation he had with Wavy Gravy, the hippie clown. Apparently someone had contacted Gravy about a 45th anniversary Woodstock celebration. Guthrie asked: "Why 45?" Gravy replied: "Because they're afraid there won't be enough of us still alive for the 50th!"

And if you think about it... I mean, most of Jefferson Airplane's gone now, so's Joe Cocker, Johnny Winter, Alvin Lee (Ten Years After) and of course Hendrix and Joplin.

I think for a lot of these guys it might well be a last hurrah.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 09:36:46 am »
It's like a high school reunion. The class is still reliving the past.

There is a lot of 60s redux going on, even if the music isn't as good.

Seems like all the bad parts got exhumed.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 06:25:01 am »
It's like a high school reunion. The class is still reliving the past.

There is a lot of 60s redux going on, even if the music isn't as good.

Seems like all the bad parts got exhumed.
Better to relive the past than listen to modern r and r.  Popular music today is simply awful.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 06:53:45 am »
Better to relive the past than listen to modern r and r.  Popular music today is simply awful.
The music never got buried. My grandkids listen to it.

It's the rest of the scene that is getting a replay I would pass on, from platform shoes to street riots. Zombie culture eats brains....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis