Author Topic: Reuters reporter takes heat for sitting on Beto O’Rourke hacker story until after Senate race agains  (Read 500 times)

Offline thackney

Reuters reporter takes heat for sitting on Beto O’Rourke hacker story until after Senate race against Cruz
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/reuters-reporter-takes-heat-sitting-negative-beto-orourke-news-until-after-key-senate-race-against-ted-cruz

Reuters is facing ethical questions after admitting that reporter Joseph Menn sat on an unfavorable story about media darling Beto O’Rourke until after his crucial Senate race against Ted Cruz.

Reuters published its report Friday on the “Cult of the Dead Cow,” a famous group of hackers credited with inventing the term “hacktivism,” and revealed that now-2020 presidential candidate O'Rourke was a member. The group is responsible for a variety of shady activity like stealing credit card numbers to pay for long-distance telephone service, violating copyright laws and hacking into computers, according to the report, which stressed that O'Rourke himself never "engaged in the edgiest sorts of hacking activity."

The report also revealed that a teenage Beto, in connection with the group, wrote bizarre fiction stories under the name “Psychedelic Warlord” -- including one story detailing the murder of two children.

The report was embarrassing for O’Rourke, who expressed regret for his past actions and writings shortly after the article's publication.

But the reporter, it turns out, knew about this history since 2017 -- and sat on it. According to Menn, members of the hacking group were protecting O'Rourke's identity and wouldn't confirm his affiliation unless the reporter promised not to write about it until after the November election. They apparently struck a deal....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Every media outlet has to make editorial decisions on what stories to run with.

Frankly, this is a stupid story. Beto was 15 at the time. I'm sure we all would love to see what internet forums and pages we were on when we were 15 (ok, for those of us young enough to have the internet then). I was in a lot of 'hacking' type stuff at that age too (more like 'Anarchist Guide' stuff for those who remember). All LARPing and just morbid curiosity, never anything actionable.

It is a distraction story from his real faults when he was an adult and legislator - those are relevant stories. I'm glad that distracting story wasn't run. He did lose after all, without it.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 08:02:38 pm by ABX »

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
The ONLY reason the reporter sat on the story is because he supported the Democrat.
Countdown to Resignation

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
The ONLY reason the reporter sat on the story is because he supported the Democrat.

The editorial page (section) is reserved for the paper's views and endorsements.  And only there.  To me this is criminal intent of trying to an influence an election by withholding very pertinent newsworthy information for the public and the voters.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Every media outlet has to make editorial decisions on what stories to run with.

Frankly, this is a stupid story. Beto was 15 at the time. I'm sure we all would love to see what internet forums and pages we were on when we were 15 (ok, for those of us young enough to have the internet then). I was in a lot of 'hacking' type stuff at that age too (more like 'Anarchist Guide' stuff for those who remember). All LARPing and just morbid curiosity, never anything actionable.

It is a distraction story from his real faults when he was an adult and legislator - those are relevant stories. I'm glad that distracting story wasn't run. He did lose after all, without it.

Except I bet your stories didn't seem analogus to what you would expect from the Columbine shooter, and now Beto.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Except I bet your stories didn't seem analogus to what you would expect from the Columbine shooter, and now Beto.

I didn't just shitpost on usnet groups. We played with making small explosives (we lived way out in the country) and stuff like that too. I would bet some of the shitposting we did though was right in line with that.

Offline thackney

I didn't just shitpost on usnet groups. We played with making small explosives (we lived way out in the country) and stuff like that too. I would bet some of the shitposting we did though was right in line with that.

The only posting I did as a teenager was followed by either applying boards or barb wire.

But, custom fireworks, black powder bombs, oh yeah.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Didn't they lambaste Fox News just a couple of weeks ago for supposedly doing this?
The Republic is lost.