Author Topic: Deer Park petrochemical fire expected to last 'throughout the night'  (Read 3525 times)

Offline thackney

Deer Park petrochemical fire expected to last 'throughout the night'
https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Deer-Park-tells-city-to-shelter-in-place-as-plant-13695162.php
March 17, 2019

Residents in Deer Park were urged to shelter in place for most of Sunday as a petrochemical fire raged at chemical storage facility in the city of 34,000.
ITC spokeswoman Alice Richardson said the fire was feared to have spread to another chemical tank, despite efforts by the company and local emergency responders to extinguish it with foam.

"It will go on throughout the night," Richardson said during a press conference as flames and thick black smoke rose behind her. She was unable to estimate when the flames could subside.

One of the tanks that caught fire contained naphtha, a component in gasoline which can irritate the nose and throat when breathed, according to officials. Poisonous gases are produced when naphtha is exposed to fire, according to a fact sheet from the New Jersey Department of Health.
The fire started around 10:30 a.m. and residents were advised to take shelter within a half hour as authorities then shut down State Highway 225 from Beltway 8 to Independence Parkway near the Intercontinental Terminals Company plant....

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

Re: Deer Park petrochemical fire expected to last 'throughout the night'
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 12:19:28 pm »
Deer Park plant fire spreads to five more tanks
https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Deer-Park-plant-fire-spreads-to-five-more-tanks-13696392.php

Deer Park officials have lifted the shelter-in-place after a petrochemical fire that has now spread to five more tanks.

The chemicals in the newly involved tanks are used in the production of finished gasoline and base oil used in machine lubricants, according to a news release from Intercontinental Terminals Company.

Recommended Video
The chemicals in the original two tanks that caught fire are Naptha and Xylene, both components in gasoline. According to earlier reports, Naptha can irritate the nose and throat when breathed, and poisonous gases are produced when it's exposed to fire.

The fire spread to five more tanks overnight....

Offline thackney

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 12:26:05 pm »

Offline thackney

« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 12:29:51 pm by thackney »

Offline jpsb

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 01:45:11 pm »
It is across the bay from me and it is still burning, lot and lots of thick black smoke

Offline thackney

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 01:53:36 pm »
It is across the bay from me and it is still burning, lot and lots of thick black smoke

I-10 was a fun drive to Mont Belvieu this morning with Hwy 225 closed.

My boss asked me if I saw the smoke driving in.  Not much visible at 6:00 am.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 01:54:33 pm by thackney »

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 02:27:00 pm »

Wow, terrible tank farm fire.  The good news is that at least there apparently are not any < C5 products.  In this particular case, the feeds are chocked, SPCC containments devices hopefully had auto shutoff, area isolated, cooled, and wetted where possible, and let itself burn out.

Depending on its own mitigation circcumstances, it might take days to complete its burn.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline thackney

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 06:36:00 pm »
The Latest: Fire at Texas plant could last 2 more days

WacoTrib 52 min ago@1334 3/18/2019

The Latest on a fire at a Texas petrochemicals plant (all times local):

12:30 p.m.

Officials say a large fire at petrochemicals terminal near Houston will likely burn for another two days.

The fire erupted Sunday at Intercontinental Terminals Company in Deer Park, about 15 miles southeast of Houston. Fire crews continued battle the blaze Monday, and authorities monitoring air quality around the facility say levels are within normal guidelines.

ITC says the risk of explosion at its facility is "minimal" and no injuries have been reported.

The company initially said the fire had spread to eight storage tanks. But on Monday, the company said the fire had spread to seven tanks and that one of the tanks was empty.

The tanks contain gasoline components.

Officials say fire crews are using foam to battle the blaze and to protect the surrounding storage tanks that have not caught on fire.

More: https://www.wacotrib.com/news/ap_texas/the-latest-fire-at-texas-plant-could-last-more-days/article_8165773a-942c-5dd3-b218-98458ef3fb4b.html

Offline Idiot

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2019, 07:25:34 pm »
The Latest: Fire at Texas plant could last 2 more days

WacoTrib 52 min ago@1334 3/18/2019

The Latest on a fire at a Texas petrochemicals plant (all times local):

12:30 p.m.

Officials say a large fire at petrochemicals terminal near Houston will likely burn for another two days.

The fire erupted Sunday at Intercontinental Terminals Company in Deer Park, about 15 miles southeast of Houston. Fire crews continued battle the blaze Monday, and authorities monitoring air quality around the facility say levels are within normal guidelines.

ITC says the risk of explosion at its facility is "minimal" and no injuries have been reported.

The company initially said the fire had spread to eight storage tanks. But on Monday, the company said the fire had spread to seven tanks and that one of the tanks was empty.

The tanks contain gasoline components.

Officials say fire crews are using foam to battle the blaze and to protect the surrounding storage tanks that have not caught on fire.

More: https://www.wacotrib.com/news/ap_texas/the-latest-fire-at-texas-plant-could-last-more-days/article_8165773a-942c-5dd3-b218-98458ef3fb4b.html
Looking at the video, I find it amazing that the other tanks haven't caught fire.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2019, 07:38:51 pm »
Looking at the video, I find it amazing that the other tanks haven't caught fire.

True, but I'd wager fire supressant foam was pumped immediately in and covering the hydrocarbon after the start of the fire, and away from the catistrophic initial event.  Obviously, won't guarantee to prevent an addiotnal  fire, but will lessen that chance.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 07:40:23 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline thackney

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2019, 09:22:51 pm »

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2019, 09:39:09 pm »

Incredible plume from that fire.  Last time I remember seeing one that extensive was the Phillips disaster back in '89.

Plume was easily visible even to Louisiana

Offline thackney

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2019, 01:48:46 pm »

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2019, 04:12:03 pm »
I was in/under the plume yesterday taking a dog to the vet at Long Drive & Telephone. Nasty!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2019, 04:14:57 pm »
Can someone please explain to me why suppressants haven't been injected into those tanks to kill the fires?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2019, 04:15:58 pm »
I was in/under the plume yesterday taking a dog to the vet at Long Drive & Telephone. Nasty!

IF you look at Thackney's  photos above the one circled is very indictive of an inversion layer at about 5k feet.  I see a cold front is on the way, so  hopefully we will see some steeper adiabatic lapse rates, and some welcome dispersion.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2019, 04:19:38 pm »
Can someone please explain to me why suppressants haven't been injected into those tanks to kill the fires?

My experience tells me that the integrity of the foam pipes feeding the tank farm may have been breached during the initial explosion.  Again, just speculative on my part. 

Post explosion, it is going to be really tough to deploy resources close enough to do any good.  Sadly, this is one of those let itself burn itself out scenarios.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2019, 04:31:51 pm »
My experience tells me that the integrity of the foam pipes feeding the tank farm may have been breached during the initial explosion. 

Even if that's true, surely they could have rigged up something more remote to get the suppressants into at least some of the burning tanks.  In the past, I've been involved in some efforts to deal with very large tank farm fires and we were able to do that.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2019, 04:38:44 pm »
Even if that's true, surely they could have rigged up something more remote to get the suppressants into at least some of the burning tanks.  In the past, I've been involved in some efforts to deal with very large tank farm fires and we were able to do that.

Without putting people (including aerial angles) in harms way?  Gasoline and Naptha burn extremely hot, and add spot BLEVE flash points??.  Very interested in hearing how you did it.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2019, 04:46:31 pm »
Without putting people (including aerial angles) in harms way?  Gasoline and Naptha burn extremely hot, and add spot BLEVE flash points??.  Very interested in hearing how you did it.

We found injection points on piping leading to the tank farm that were remote enough to ensure the safety of those involved and used them.  It's not all that complicated.  How much doing something like that would affect the current situation is very much dependent on how the valves within the tank farm are currently arranged but, I'm sure, it would have some positive effect.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2019, 04:54:52 pm »
We found injection points on piping leading to the tank farm that were remote enough to ensure the safety of those involved and used them.  It's not all that complicated.  How much doing something like that would affect the current situation is very much dependent on how the valves within the tank farm are currently arranged but, I'm sure, it would have some positive effect.

Sounds like a good way, but if the initial exposion totally severed the foam line ...all bets would be off.  I am very familiar way back with ECHMA's CIMA (Mutual Aid organization), and they are among some of the most knowledgeable and talented fire fighters in the country.  I am pretty certain if they haven't found a safe way to extinguish the blaze, it doesn't exist.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2019, 04:57:48 pm »
Sounds like a good way, but if the initial exposion totally severed the foam line ...all bets would be off.  I am very familiar way back with ECHMA's CIMA (Mutual Aid organization), and they are among some of the most knowledgeable and talented fire fighters in the country.  I am pretty certain if they haven't found a safe way to extinguish the blaze, it doesn't exist.

No doubt you are correct. I was just thinking out loud and recollecting my personal experience.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2019, 11:00:10 am »
All tank fires extinguished at ITC facility in Deer Park

https://abc13.com/all-tank-fires-out-at-itc-facility-in-deer-park/5207523/

The tank fires at Intercontinental Terminals Company in Deer Park are out, days after it started, at one point burning chemicals in up to eight tanks.

Tuesday night, four tanks were burning as a large flash of fire rose from the facility. The cause of the fireball was not immediately known.

Wednesday morning, ITC officials released a statement saying that crews were able to extinguish all the fires as of 3 a.m.

"Crews continue to spray foam and water on the tanks to facilitate cooling and prevent reigniting of the remaining material," the statement read.

While the fires are out, steam and smoke may still be visible and there is a possibility that fires could reignite.

More at link.