Author Topic: Washington Senate passes bill that would keep Trump off 2020 ballot unless he releases tax returns  (Read 1150 times)

Offline corbe

Washington Senate passes bill that would keep Trump off 2020 ballot unless he releases tax returns

By John Bowden - 03/16/19 07:54 PM EDT

Washington's state Senate passed a bill this week that would drop President Trump from the state's 2020 presidential ballot until he releases his tax returns.

The bill, which advanced Tuesday to the state's House of Representatives according to CBS News, would require any candidate on the ballot for president in the state to release five years of tax returns in a general or primary election.

Senators voted by a 28-21 margin to approve the bill, according to CBS. The state's attorney general and solicitor told lawmakers in a letter this week that the proposal was likely constitutional in their view, but analysts expect the law if passed to be challenged in federal court.

<..snip..>

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/434412-washington-senate-passes-bill-that-would-keep-trump-off-2020-ballot
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Now, that's an interesting tactic.  I wonder how the courts will handle it?

Online mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I would weigh the probability that he would get any electoral votes from Washington State against the likelihood of another two year fishing expedition all over the media causing a logjam, and probably make big stuff over how Washington State was disenfranchising its voters and tell them Okay, if that's what you want.
Interesting that Washington would deny its citizens the opportunity to vote for anything but Democrats and 'third' party...
Will the GOP take that to the Supremes?

Or are they still trawling for Russians?

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

I would weigh the probability that he would get any electoral votes from Washington State...

Exactly.  Way to ensure your state is ignored by both GOP and the Dems.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer