Author Topic: Another Superstorm? How the 2019 Bomb Cyclone Compared to the March 1993 Superstorm  (Read 402 times)

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

Weather.com
By Linda Lam
22 hours ago

The central U.S. was slammed by a powerful bomb cyclone, Winter Storm Ulmer, bringing to mind similarities to other intense systems, including the March 1993 Superstorm.

Both storms resulted in awe-inspiring, memorable moments and developed in mid-March, a time of year where winter and spring often can clash.

As it turned out, the bomb cyclone intensified 26 years to the date of the infamous March 1993 Superstorm.

The 1993 Superstorm was an incredible, wide-reaching storm that saw its central pressure drop to 960 millibars when it was moving through New England. Impacts stretched from Cuba and the South into the Northeast and Canada.

(more)
https://weather.com/storms/winter/news/2019-03-15-winter-storm-ulmer-bomb-cyclone-compared-march-1993-superstorm
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Applewood

What I remember about the blizzard of '93 was the St. Patrick's Day parade the city of Pittsburgh insisted go forward.  I believe only one or two marching bands showed up and a city councilman at the time infamously remarked, "gee, the crowds are a lot smaller this year than in previous years."   *****rollingeyes*****

Western PA was lucky this time around.  By the time the bomb cyclone got here, it was a dud.  The precip was reduced to maybe snow flurries..  We did get wind -- gusts to 60 mph -- but certainly nothing like what happened out west and south.  In this region, most west to east storms fizzle by the time they reach us.  Our worst winter storms usually blow in from Canada over Lake Erie.  So-called "lake effect" storms are really bad.  You can be outside on a winter day, sun shining, then a dark cloud comes in overhead and dumps a foot or more of snow in about 10 minutes or so.  Those storms are often totally unexpected and unpredictable. 

Anyway, thanks for the comparison @240B

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
The Calif. radio news have cqlled the weathersystem whereby series of starm com off the Pacific and head across the nation,

the "Atmospheric Conveyor Belt."

Near record rain AND SNOW in the Sierras, highest peaks in the lower 48.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln