Author Topic: Gun Owners Of America To Take NFA Before Supreme Court  (Read 2510 times)

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Gun Owners Of America To Take NFA Before Supreme Court
« on: January 18, 2019, 10:10:36 am »
bearing arms
Posted at 12:00 pm on January 17, 2019 by Tom Knighton

[excerpt]

https://bearingarms.com/tom-k/2019/01/17/goa-takes-nfa-supreme-court/

The National Firearms Act is an insidious piece of legislation that I desperately hope to one day see relegated to the proverbial trash heap of history. The idea that we, law-abiding citizens who have done nothing wrong, should have to beg for permission to arm ourselves with certain firearms is practically begging to be shot down.

I just don’t know if I’ll see it in my lifetime.

However, it does appear that Gun Owners of America is doing its part to make my dream a reality.

In a press release sent out on Wednesday, GOA announced it was taking an anti-NFA case to the highest court in the land.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Gun Owners Of America To Take NFA Before Supreme Court
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 02:18:00 am »
(January 14, 2019) -- Gun Owners of America (GOA) and its litigating arm, Gun Owners Foundation (GOF), today continued their defense of Jeremy Kettler, a disabled combat veteran, against a conviction for violating the National Firearms Act.

https://gunowners.org/gun-owners-of-america-funds-challenge-to-national-firearms-act-in-u-s-supreme-court.htm

The Obama Justice Department brought criminal felony charges against Jeremy for illegally possessing an unregistered firearm suppressor under the authority of the Kansas “Second Amendment Protection Act.”

The Kansas statute declares that any suppressor manufactured, possessed, and used within the borders of Kansas is exempt from federal law. Relying on that Kansas law, in 2014 Jeremy purchased a suppressor from a local military surplus store, but did not register it with ATF pursuant to the National Firearms Act (NFA).

Believing he was following the law, Jeremy posted a video about his new suppressor on Facebook, and ATF swooped in. Rather than simply requiring Jeremy to register his suppressor, the feds instead chose felony prosecution — to make an example of Jeremy, and to intimidate all who resist federal power over guns. Jeremy was indicted, and convicted of possessing an unregistered silencer, and now this veteran is a federal felon.

GOA and GOF have stood with Jeremy, both in his appeal to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit, and now in the U.S. Supreme Court.

Today GOA and GOF lawyers, representing Jeremy, filed a petition for a writ of certiorari in the U.S. Supreme Court, asking the Court to hear Jeremy’s case. The petition challenges the decision of the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit, which rejected Jeremy’s appeal from the district court.

Jeremy’s petition first challenges the legitimacy of the National Firearms Act, which was passed in 1934, and thereafter upheld by the Supreme Court in 1937 under the constitutional power of Congress to “lay and collect taxes.” The petition argues that the NFA as it exists today no longer can be justified as a so-called “tax.”

In fact, each of the reasons the Supreme Court gave in 1937, finding it to be a tax, no longer apply today, 82 years later. Rather, the NFA has become what Justice Frankfurter once described as regulation “wrapped ... in the verbal cellophane of a revenue measure” — an unabashed gun control regulatory scheme, designed not to raise revenue for the federal government, but instead to keep NFA items out of the hands of Americans.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 06:45:45 pm »
I wouldn't mid seeing the NFA revoked.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 06:48:37 pm »
Cancel your NRA membership and join GOA!  Do it today!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 06:50:18 pm »

Interesting that while the NRA is supporting bump stock bans...GOA is doing the real fighting for the 2nd Amendment.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 06:59:33 pm »
Interesting that while the NRA is supporting bump stock bans...GOA is doing the real fighting for the 2nd Amendment.

Yes, and the NRA is shedding membership in a hurry while GOA is growing rapidly!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 07:01:56 pm »
Yes, and the NRA is shedding membership in a hurry while GOA is growing rapidly!

Honestly...and this is a discussion for a thread of it's own...the NRA is suffering from entrenched overpaid old bulls in the leadership positions.

They need some new blood.

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 08:07:28 pm »

I'm an Endowment member. I agree.

Got sick and tired of getting monthly begging letters (and phone calls) from them to "Send $17.76 Today or Freedom Will Die" as they continually sold us and the 2A out by couching it as reasonable and "Nobody Wants" to see guns in the hands of Dangerous People.

The NRA has done WAY MORE of their share of Whoring for the Psychiatric and Psychological Industry/con game as it is

If I wanted Reasonable Gun Control I'd become a Democrat!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 08:10:28 pm by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 08:08:58 pm »
Honestly...and this is a discussion for a thread of it's own...the NRA is suffering from entrenched overpaid old bulls in the leadership positions.

They need some new blood.

I think the liberals figured out that the best way to get rid of the NRA is to infiltrate it.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 08:09:49 pm »
I'm an Endowment member. I agree.

Got sick and tired of getting monthly begging letters (and phone calls) from them to "Send $17.76 Today or Freedom Will Die" as they continually sold us and the 2A out by couching it as "Reasonable" and "Nobody Wants".

If I wanted Reasonable Gun Control I'd become a Lying, Thieving Democrat!

I renewed my Life of Duty Membership in November and one month later I was getting hit up from the NRA to renew my membership.

Next November I'm seriously gonna take a look at GOA.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 08:12:24 pm »
I happen to be a member of both organizations: that way I get magazines, knives, travel bags, hats and also... an organization that does not ever compromise on my right to self-defense.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2019, 08:17:17 pm »
I gave the NRA back my life membership and joined GOA 25 years ago and happy to do it!

At the time I was running for a State rep position here in Texas against a gun grabbing Democrat who had voted against Concealed Carry three times at that point.  On the advice of their area rep, a former State Rep. and good buddy of the guy I was running against, the NRA endorsed him instead of me.  Running for office is a VERY good way to get educated about many things.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2019, 08:22:24 pm »
I gave the NRA back my life membership and joined GOA 25 years ago and happy to do it!

At the time I was running for a State rep position here in Texas against a gun grabbing Democrat who had voted against Concealed Carry three times at that point.  On the advice of their area rep, a former State Rep. and good buddy of the guy I was running against, the NRA endorsed him instead of me.  Running for office is a VERY good way to get educated about many things.

I love Texas for a whole bunch of reasons, but I am always intrigued that my state's gun laws are so much better than yours.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2019, 08:25:03 pm »
I love Texas for a whole bunch of reasons, but I am always intrigued that my state's gun laws are so much better than yours.

@andy58-in-nh

Perhaps I just clued you in.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 08:40:15 pm »
Texas weapon laws go back to the carpetbagger days.

Offline verga

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2019, 04:09:06 pm »
Why not support both? Asking as a NRA life member and Certified instructor for Rifle, Shotgun, and Muzzle loader.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2019, 04:16:55 pm »
Why not support both? Asking as a NRA life member and Certified instructor for Rifle, Shotgun, and Muzzle loader.

Because it is my FIRM opinion that the current NRA does not do what it purports to do when it gets behind closed doors.  But if you want to do that go right ahead.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2019, 04:27:44 pm »
Because it is my FIRM opinion that the current NRA does not do what it purports to do when it gets behind closed doors.  But if you want to do that go right ahead.

I lived (if you could Call it Living) in Ca for over 30 years.

And I got REAL tired of NRA ignoring Ca to go "fight battles in States they thought they could win them in".

And then expecting me to Pay for it.

Rope. Upward Direction. (make sure you're standing REAL close), urinate.

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2019, 06:10:25 am »