Author Topic: Mike Lee, Mitt Romney vote to block Trump's national emergency declaration  (Read 2345 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

Mike Lee, Mitt Romney vote to block Trump's national emergency declaration
KSL.com, Mar 15, 2019, Dennis Romboy

SALT LAKE CITY — Utah's two senators were among a dozen Republicans voting to buck President Donald Trump's declaration of a national emergency for funds to build a wall on the southern border.

Both Sen. Mike Lee and Sen. Mitt Romney voted for the Democratic measure to disapprove Trump's order, which passed 59-41. The House previously passed the resolution.

Lee in a Senate floor speech blamed Congress for "voluntarily" relinquishing its legislative power to the White House.

"This is not about the president. This is not about my disagreement with or disapproval of the president or his approach to border security or his approach to build a barrier along our southern border. I think all those things need to happen,” Lee, R-Utah, said.

"But this law, Mr. President, is wrong. It’s not President Trump's fault. It Congress'."

[...]

After weeks of holding his decision close to the vest, Romney, R-Utah, said early Thursday's that he would vote for the resolution to disapprove the emergency declaration.

"This is a vote for the Constitution and for the balance of powers that is at its core. For the executive branch to override a law passed by Congress would make it the ultimate power rather than a balancing power," Romney said in a statement.

More:  https://www.ksl.com/article/46510989/mike-lee-mitt-romney-vote-to-block-trumps-national-emergency-declaration

Online Right_in_Virginia

This is a vote for the Constitution and for the balance of powers that is at its core. For the executive branch to override a law passed by Congress would make it the ultimate power rather than a balancing power," Romney said in a statement.

What the hell does this even mean?

Online Right_in_Virginia

"This is not about the president. This is not about my disagreement with or disapproval of the president or his approach to border security or his approach to build a barrier along our southern border. I think all those things need to happen,” Lee, R-Utah, said.

"But this law, Mr. President, is wrong. It’s not President Trump's fault. It Congress'."

In a tweet earlier Thursday, the president said, "If, at a later date, Congress wants to update the law, I will support those efforts, but today’s issue is BORDER SECURITY and Crime!!! Don’t vote with Pelosi!"

Pelosi had already said she will not bring a change to the law to the floor.  Lee knew this before voting with Pelosi and her demonrats.

Offline dfwgator

Utah, figgers.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

That's exactly right Senator Lee! If the law is flawed it is YOUR job to fix it or repeal it entirely but it definitely IS NOT your job to second guess the president's application of it as it exists today!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

It means when the rats win the White House there's gonna be a lot National Emergencies and little chance of stopping them.

Offline dfwgator

It means when the rats win the White House there's gonna be a lot National Emergencies and little chance of stopping them.

Well they're going to do that, regardless of what Trump does.

Offline LegalAmerican

Mike Lee and Mitt Romney are BOTH RINO'S...really demon-rats. I posted a while back about MIKE Lee.  I loathe both...for good reasons.  BOTH BAD MOUTH THE PRESIDENT...which goes against their LDS religion.  ARTICLE 12. 

Both are liars and schmucks. They need to join the demon-rat party.  They fit right in.  BOTH ARE FOR NWO..and support bringing in, Islamists into America.  . They both support bringing in ILLEGALS..as they have Mormon compound in Mexico. Mitt's dad George, was born in Mexico.  Some inter marriages.  They BOTH want people to live by LDS standards.  It was Enquirer, who said that about Ted Cruz's & apparently true. PICTURES. Mike Lee..best friends with TED CRUZ. Both have ISSUES... BOTH ARE GLOBALISTS. 
---------------------------
Sen. Mike Lee goes on epic rant about Donald Trump

By LOUIS NELSON 06/30/2016 06:58 AM EDT

Pressed during a telephone interview Wednesday night to explain why he has not yet endorsed Donald Trump’s presidential bid, Sen. Mike Lee unloaded.

“Hey look, Steve, I get it. You want me to endorse Trump,” Lee (R-Utah) told NewsMaxTV host Steve Malzberg. “We can get into that if you want. We can get into the fact that he accused my best friend’s father of conspiring to kill JFK. We can go through the fact that he’s made statements that some have identified correctly as religiously intolerant.

We can get into the fact that he’s wildly unpopular in my state, in part because my state consists of people who are members of a religious minority church.

A people who were ordered exterminated by the governor of Missouri in 1838. And, statements like that make them nervous.”

160629_mike_lee_ap_1160.jpg
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 03:24:37 am by LegalAmerican »

Online Right_in_Virginia

That's exactly right Senator Lee! If the law is flawed it is YOUR job to fix it or repeal it entirely but it definitely IS NOT your job to second guess the president's application of it as it exists today!

Exactly. 

Offline libertybele

A bit of double-speak. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

Pelosi had already said she will not bring a change to the law to the floor.  Lee knew this before voting with Pelosi and her demonrats.

President Trump is absolutely 100% correct; today's issue IS Border Security!  If he/we don't get that under control, we won't have a country left.  I am not surprised at Romney, but I am disappointed with Lee.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline LegalAmerican

Well they're going to do that, regardless of what Trump does.

Yes.   :thumbsup:

It is the senators who are over reaching...NOT President TRUMP.  TRAITORS TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE, AND LAW, AND THE CONSTITUTION, that they claim to be worried about.

They, Mike, wants to talk about upholding the CONSTITUTION?   That is what president TRUMP is using!  For Americans safety, but since this has to do with the border...again...LDS people have a compound there. They went there to escape persecution.  The still have property, and some have inter married with Mexicans.  COUSINS IN MEXICO. The both support ILLEGALS AND HISPANICS.  NWO. GLOBALISTS.

President TRUMP supports LEGAL'S AND OUR SOVEREIGNTY..NOT GLOBALISM.

Online roamer_1

President Trump is absolutely 100% correct; today's issue IS Border Security!  If he/we don't get that under control, we won't have a country left.  I am not surprised at Romney, but I am disappointed with Lee.

So the ends justify the means? Since when is that a Conservative idea?
Hell no!
I will stand with Lee and Paul

Offline LegalAmerican

Hell no!

Don't you mean Lee, Romney and Rand Paul ?  ALL RINO'S.  ZERO TO DO WITH CONSERVATISM.  How do you equate BORDER SECURITY..SAFETY FOR PEOPLE AND OUT SOVEREIGNTY WITH BEING..CONSERVATIVE? 

It is about SAFETY...FIRST.  SURVIVAL.  No wonder I had you on ignore.  Food for thought below. Pedophilia in LDS church?

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 03:53:23 am by LegalAmerican »

Online roamer_1

Don't you mean Lee, Romney and Rand Paul ?  ALL RINO'S.

That's all I need to know to know what you are saying is full of crap @LegalAmerican

Offline LegalAmerican

PEDOPHILIA IS EVERYWHERE.  In Churches, homes, everywhere. I personally, think Kevin in the video is a bit goofy.  He is saying half truths and outright lies. Quotes OLD TESTAMENT.  He was a pastor, was defrocked and his kids were taken away.  Since a TEMPLE is being built in Rome, I would say they have to meet with POPE in Rome.  He says last prophet in LDS church was poisoned.  Munson was in his late 90's when he passed. I do not believe he was murdered. Nor do LDS people worship Moroni. He does not even say it correctly.  THAT IS ALL I WANT TO SAY ABOUT THAT.   

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

Don't you mean Lee, Romney and Rand Paul ?  ALL RINO'S. 

Thanks for so eloquently showing your undestanding of politics </S>.  Mike Lee  RINO?  Ha ha ha...   Go back to the Freeper Mother Ship bozo.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online roamer_1

PEDOPHILIA IS EVERYWHERE.  In Churches, homes, everywhere. I personally, think Kevin in the video is a bit goofy.  He is saying half truths and outright lies. Quotes OLD TESTAMENT.  He was a pastor, was defrocked and his kids were taken away.  Since a TEMPLE is being built in Rome, I would say they have to meet with POPE in Rome.  He says last prophet in LDS church was poisoned.  Munson was in his late 90's when he passed. I do not believe he was murdered. Nor do LDS people worship Moroni. He does not even say it correctly.  THAT IS ALL I WANT TO SAY ABOUT THAT.

I don't give a single rusty crap about Mormons.

Mike Lee has always been a reliable Conservative and has the record to prove it. And Rand Paul, while more of a libertarian in thought, ain't damn far behind.

Cruz is the one going wobbly.

Offline Absalom

According to several, Lee and Romney, among many, are
Rinos and Bad Guys and..........and ..........and..........
But come the next election cycle it'll be, "Hey we gotta
rally round and support our guys cuz................"
The republicrats and their fan club have been dead for
many generations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

Mike Lee has always been a reliable Conservative and has the record to prove it. And Rand Paul, while more of a libertarian in thought, ain't damn far behind.

Cruz is the one going wobbly.

Disappointed in Cruz.   I think after his close call with Beatoff, he has his sites more on a SCOTUS seat.  i.e don't stir the orange koolaid.

I live in Texas, and see the effects of the invasion 1st hand.  OTOH, making Emergency declarations this expansive at will, just embboldens  the dims to do the same with climate change.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline libertybele

Hell no!

I understand your point.  The Constitution itself doesn't grant the power, but the National Emergencies Act gives him the authority and other presidents have used this same power countless times.  Bammy used the same authority under this act did he not, and I don't recall either Lee or Paul creating a resolution to oppose him?  They both are concerned for future abuse by the radical left as they have flat out threatened to do so. I understand that completely, so perhaps changing the law is needed again as this isn't the first time it's been challenged.  However, that law now stands.

I believe both Paul and Lee are terrified at the thought of the lunacy of the fringed left and they should be.  They have the authority to make changes to laws.  They need to get busy.  The President doesn't have that authority and he is using the authority that he now has.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 04:24:38 am by libertybele »

Online roamer_1

Disappointed in Cruz.   I think after his close call with Beatoff, he has his sites more on a SCOTUS seat.  i.e don't stir the orange koolaid.

Yeah, me too... He's barely holding a B as a Conservative these days. He's going wobbly, and I don't care why.

I live in Texas, and see the effects of the invasion 1st hand.  OTOH, making Emergency declarations this expansive at will, just embboldens  the dims to do the same with climate change.

I understand the dilemma y'all have going on... As much as I can from way up here.
That still don't mean it's alright to upend the House's power of the purse.
This is damn well wrong. And if it was a Democrat doing it, everybody here would be screaming about it.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 04:25:57 am by roamer_1 »

Online roamer_1

I understand your point.  The Constitution itself doesn't grant the power, but the National Emergencies Act gives him the authority and other presidents have used this same power countless times.  Bammy used the same authority under this act did he not, and I don't recall either Lee or Paul creating a resolution to oppose him?  They both are concerned for future abuse by the radical left as they have flat out threatened to do so. I understand that completely, so perhaps changing the law is needed again as this isn't the first time it's been challenged.  However, that law now stands.

Well perhaps you can show me another instance of the Emergency power being used to directly thwart the will of Congress and end run the House's power of the purse...

I believe both Paul and Lee are terrified at the thought of the lunacy of the fringed left and they should be.  They have the authority to make changes to laws.  They need to get busy.  The President doesn't have that authority and he is using the authority that he now has.

I disagree. I don't think they are scared of anything. I think they are standing right where they should be - On principle.

And I also disagree that this is within presidential power. I think he's buying himself an impeachment.

Online roamer_1

That came out wrong. I hope any Mormons on the board know what I mean.

Offline libertybele

Well perhaps you can show me another instance of the Emergency power being used to directly thwart the will of Congress and end run the House's power of the purse...

I disagree. I don't think they are scared of anything. I think they are standing right where they should be - On principle.

And I also disagree that this is within presidential power. I think he's buying himself an impeachment.

He has the authority to declare a national emergency.  The question has always been does he have the power to reapportion funds already granted by Congress?  Congress obviously in the past has always awarded $$$ to other presidents when they have declared national emergencies, have they not?  President Trump's biggest mistake was not declaring a national emergency first and then asking for the money.  He's doing it the other way around.  He asked for money and he didn't get it, so then he declared an emergency.

I fully understand that only Congress has the power of the purse, I get that, but I also get that the President has the authority to declare a national emergency.  Paul and Lee are both voting against that authority.