Author Topic: Mike Lee, Mitt Romney vote to block Trump's national emergency declaration  (Read 2354 times)

Offline roamer_1

Paul and Lee are both voting against that authority.

I don't think they are against that authority - I think they are against how that authority is being used.

Offline libertybele

I don't think they are against that authority - I think they are against how that authority is being used.

Clearly, the law needs to be changed (again) to avoid abuse of that authority.

In September, 2001, George W. Bush, Declared a National Emergency by Reason of Certain Terrorist Attacks.  That declaration is still in effect.  I would say that Trumps declaration of a  national emergency is very similar. 

Again, the big difference I believe is Trump asking for $$ and then when denied, declaring a national emergency.

He should have never shut the government down.  He shouldn't have brought the media in and challenged Nancy and Chuckie.

He should have announced that caravans were arriving, things were getting out of control at the border and declared a national emergency, sent in the military and asked for $.  He could have had the military build the wall.  He went about things backasswards.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline roamer_1

In September, 2001, George W. Bush, Declared a National Emergency by Reason of Certain Terrorist Attacks.  That declaration is still in effect.  I would say that Trumps declaration of a  national emergency is very similar. 

Again, the big difference I believe is Trump asking for $$ and then when denied, declaring a national emergency.

He should have never shut the government down.  He shouldn't have brought the media in and challenged Nancy and Chuckie.

He should have announced that caravans were arriving, things were getting out of control at the border and declared a national emergency, sent in the military and asked for $.  He could have had the military build the wall.  He went about things backasswards.

Shoulda Coulda Woulda... Always said I would have been more comfortable with him declaring war on Mexico.

Doesn't matter. We are where we are, and Pelosi has him by the short hairs. That does not mean he gets to run her over.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Well they're going to do that, regardless of what Trump does.
@dfwgator
I doubt that.  I believe it takes much more than stupidity and bravado to screw up the country as badly as Trump has done especially with all the advantages in timing he has been given.  I think it takes Trumpian mental retardation and an alpha-privileged mindset to ignore the experts you've assembled and do the opposite.

You maybe right that eventually a rat President under a GOP Congress would negate a legislative law, fully debate and signed by the rat President, through a declaration of National Emergency.  I'm willing to declare I think the SCOTUS understands the English language and will strike it down.  Even if the SCOTUS refuses to act, eventually the egos of the Congress will demand their power back.  JMO

Trump doesn't want this anyways.  He just wants 34% impeachment cover.

Ask yourself, would 12 GOP senators vote against a National Border Emergency 2 years ago?  I don't think so.

Thanx for the response.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 05:44:15 am by Once-Ler »

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

All good points.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Shoulda Coulda Woulda... Always said I would have been more comfortable with him declaring war on Mexico.

Doesn't matter. We are where we are, and Pelosi has him by the short hairs. That does not mean he gets to run her over.

Pelosi doesn't have the President by the short hairs; 12 Republican/conservative senators do. 

But the President will do what the constitution allows him to do to secure our southern border.  It's rather telling you consider this running over Pelosi. 

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
So the ends justify the means? Since when is that a Conservative idea?
Hell no!
I will stand with Lee and Paul

And I will strongly disagree with all three of you!  If the damned law is flawed it's the Congress job to fix or repeal it not to whine about the president using law as it currently exists!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

And I will strongly disagree with all three of you!  If the damned law is flawed it's the Congress job to fix or repeal it not to whine about the president using law as it currently exists!

As this law currently exists, the Congress has the power of nullification. So yeah, they can do more than whine.

Offline roamer_1

Pelosi doesn't have the President by the short hairs; 12 Republican/conservative senators do. 

But the President will do what the constitution allows him to do to secure our southern border.  It's rather telling you consider this running over Pelosi.

Sure she does. She's the speaker. For all intents and purposes, she has the checkbook.

And how is this NOT an attempt to run over the House's power of the purse? That is EXACTLY what it is.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
So the ends justify the means? Since when is that a Conservative idea?
Hell no!
I will stand with Lee and Paul

You're right, @roamer_1    The Senator I most admire, Pat Toomey, voted to override the emergency.  Not because border security is unimportant, but because it is Congress that is Constitutionally responsible for appropriating funds. 

Now what Congress should have done is repeal or replace the National Emergencies Act.   Trump has a colorable argument that his emergency declaration is encompassed by Congress' own delegation of authority to the executive.    This is all being set up for, ultimately, the SCOTUS to decide.    Congress passes a law,  the President acts in accordance with it,  Congress votes to indicate its disapproval as the law provides,  and the President vetoes it.    We're set up for the litigation to follow.

McConnell absolutely did the right thing in forcing a vote.   Every Senator is now on record, and the ball is advanced for ultimate resolution by the SCOTUS.   

Stay tuned . . . 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline roamer_1

You're right, @roamer_1    The Senator I most admire, Pat Toomey, voted to override the emergency.  Not because border security is unimportant, but because it is Congress that is Constitutionally responsible for appropriating funds. 

Now what Congress should have done is repeal or replace the National Emergencies Act.   Trump has a colorable argument that his emergency declaration is encompassed by Congress' own delegation of authority to the executive.    This is all being set up for, ultimately, the SCOTUS to decide.    Congress passes a law,  the President acts in accordance with it,  Congress votes to indicate its disapproval as the law provides,  and the President vetoes it.    We're set up for the litigation to follow.

McConnell absolutely did the right thing in forcing a vote.   Every Senator is now on record, and the ball is advanced for ultimate resolution by the SCOTUS.   

Stay tuned . . .

Yeah, mark the day @Jazzhead you and me on the same page...  :beer:  happy77

The easy fix here is a 2/3 override, and fix the law after the fact... But yeah, I think it's gonna be knock-down drag-out bitter.

And I still think he is buying himself an impeachment.

Offline LegalAmerican

Those 12 are all TRAITORS to Americans.  I want safety and secured border, promised to us in 1986...IF President Reagan gave amnesty. THE DEMON-RATS..RENEGED and lied as they always...do.
------------------------------------------------------

Democrats always voted in lockstep with what President Obama told them to do. No debates on the "growing power of the presidency", no concerns over the Commander in Chief being too influential. These Republican senators did what Obama told them to do.

Even when it came to bribing Iran billions of dollars! These same Republicans voting against our president were just tripping over themselves to vote for Obama's expanded authority at every turn.

I hope Mitt Romney's constituents contact him about the evil of his actions. Why vote for a fake Democrat when you can vote for a real one? I have no idea why these Republicans think they should be in office. Obama never had to put up with "Deep Thinker" Democrats voting against him. Why do you refuse to give Trump the same benefit of a doubt?

Like the Never Trumpers at National Review magazine, these Republican senators wish Hillary were president and selecting federal judges.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Mike Lee and Mitt Romney are BOTH RINO'S...really demon-rats. I posted a while back about MIKE Lee.  I loathe both...for good reasons.  BOTH BAD MOUTH THE PRESIDENT...which goes against their LDS religion.  ARTICLE 12. 

Both are liars and schmucks. They need to join the demon-rat party.  They fit right in.  BOTH ARE FOR NWO..and support bringing in, Islamists into America.  . They both support bringing in ILLEGALS..as they have Mormon compound in Mexico. Mitt's dad George, was born in Mexico.  Some inter marriages.  They BOTH want people to live by LDS standards.  It was Enquirer, who said that about Ted Cruz's & apparently true. PICTURES. Mike Lee..best friends with TED CRUZ. Both have ISSUES... BOTH ARE GLOBALISTS. 
---------------------------
Sen. Mike Lee goes on epic rant about Donald Trump

By LOUIS NELSON 06/30/2016 06:58 AM EDT

Pressed during a telephone interview Wednesday night to explain why he has not yet endorsed Donald Trump’s presidential bid, Sen. Mike Lee unloaded.

“Hey look, Steve, I get it. You want me to endorse Trump,” Lee (R-Utah) told NewsMaxTV host Steve Malzberg. “We can get into that if you want. We can get into the fact that he accused my best friend’s father of conspiring to kill JFK. We can go through the fact that he’s made statements that some have identified correctly as religiously intolerant.

We can get into the fact that he’s wildly unpopular in my state, in part because my state consists of people who are members of a religious minority church.

A people who were ordered exterminated by the governor of Missouri in 1838. And, statements like that make them nervous.”

160629_mike_lee_ap_1160.jpg

Yet, Lee is on the list of 25 and was interviewed by the president last summer for the SCOTUS vacancy.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

As this law currently exists, the Congress has the power of nullification. So yeah, they can do more than whine.

Congress has the authority to nullify the emergency declaration, not the law under which the emergency was declared.

What the constitutional geniuses in the Republican senate should have done was vote for the emergency declaration (they agree with it) and then amend or end the law on the books.

Constitutional experts should know Congress cannot pick and choose the laws they will not uphold simply because they don't like the man who's exercising the authority they gave him.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 02:08:00 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline MoMo

Yet, Lee is on the list of 25 and was interviewed by the president last summer for the SCOTUS vacancy.

Proving again that President Trump only hires the best people

Offline edpc

Congress has the authority to nullify the emergency declaration, not the law under which the emergency was declared.

Of course they can. The Fugitive Slave Act of 1850 was repealed in 1864.

Of course they can. The Fugitive Slave Act of 1850 was repealed in 1864.

Repeal is not nullification.   Repeal requires debate and a vote.  Nullification keeps the law as written but chooses to ignore it.

Congress doesn't have the authority to nullify at will all or part of laws it passed and were signed into law.  Repeal it or follow it.  This is the legal foundation we rely on.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 02:29:23 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Absalom

Proving again that President Trump only hires the best people
------------------------------
Like Jeffrey Sessions.

Offline MoMo

Sessions was a political payoff to the GOP and not entirely the President's fault.

Offline edpc

Sessions was a political payoff to the GOP and not entirely the President's fault.

Nonsense. Sessions was recommended by Giuliani, after he turned down the AG job. He wanted Sec State.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Mike Lee, Mitt Romney vote to block Trump's national emergency declaration
KSL.com, Mar 15, 2019, Dennis Romboy

SALT LAKE CITY — Utah's two senators were among a dozen Republicans voting to buck President Donald Trump's declaration of a national emergency for funds to build a wall on the southern border.

Both Sen. Mike Lee and Sen. Mitt Romney voted for the Democratic measure to disapprove Trump's order, which passed 59-41. The House previously passed the resolution.

Lee in a Senate floor speech blamed Congress for "voluntarily" relinquishing its legislative power to the White House.

"This is not about the president. This is not about my disagreement with or disapproval of the president or his approach to border security or his approach to build a barrier along our southern border. I think all those things need to happen,” Lee, R-Utah, said.

"But this law, Mr. President, is wrong. It’s not President Trump's fault. It Congress'."

[...]

After weeks of holding his decision close to the vest, Romney, R-Utah, said early Thursday's that he would vote for the resolution to disapprove the emergency declaration.

"This is a vote for the Constitution and for the balance of powers that is at its core. For the executive branch to override a law passed by Congress would make it the ultimate power rather than a balancing power," Romney said in a statement.

More:  https://www.ksl.com/article/46510989/mike-lee-mitt-romney-vote-to-block-trumps-national-emergency-declaration

I expected better out of Mike Lee,but Romney has never been anything other than self-serving pond scum.

Vote the bastids out of office if they are on your ballots.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Absalom

----------------------------------------------
Not his fault???????????????????
JESUS, MARY and JOSEPH!!!!!!!!!

Offline jpsb

Well perhaps you can show me another instance of the Emergency power being used to directly thwart the will of Congress and end run the House's power of the purse...

I disagree. I don't think they are scared of anything. I think they are standing right where they should be - On principle.

And I also disagree that this is within presidential power. I think he's buying himself an impeachment.

An end run around a progressive congress is a good thing. Without border security we will lose
the country if we haven't lost it already. The money was allocated legally to the military Trump
(Commander in Chief of US armed forces) is just directing the military to use it for the wall. All
perfectly legal and constitutional says our number one lawyer Bill Barr. The issue will no doubt go
to the SC where Trump will prevail.

Are so saying a commander in the field short of ammo can't use monies allocated for uniforms to
buy bullets? That just plain crazy.

Offline jpsb

Congress that is Constitutionally responsible for appropriating funds. 

One more time the money was already allocated to the US Defense Department. Trump (CiC) is directing the US Military to use it on the wall. All perfectly legit and constitutional. Why do ya'll have
such a problem with President Trump doing all he can to secure our borders and protect the American people from an invasion by a hostile foreign entity.

Offline jpsb

I'm pretty sure he off that list now. Rand Paul is catching holly hell from conservative Trump
supporters. He might have screwed up his 2022 chances.