Author Topic: Trump wields first presidential veto to nix border emergency rebuff  (Read 443 times)

Online libertybele

I think we all knew how that the President would use his veto power.  Somehow ... I don't feel this is his last obstacle with the wall.

Trump wields first presidential veto to nix border emergency rebuff

President Trump on Friday used the first veto of his administration to reject a bipartisan resolution that sought to block his declaration of a national emergency at the border, a move almost certain to kill the measure.

Trump’s veto came a day after 12 Senate Republicans joined Democrats in voting for the resolution, despite last-minute efforts between the White House and GOP lawmakers to keep the Republican Party united. The measure ultimately passed 59-41, and Trump immediately vowed to veto...........

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-wields-first-presidential-veto-to-nix-border-emergency-rebuff

While the original passage marked a stinging rebuke from members of Trump's own party, his veto is likely the last word as lawmakers are unlikely to muster the two-thirds majority required to override.......

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?action=post;board=7.0

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Trump wields first presidential veto to nix border emergency rebuff
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 08:26:27 pm »
Good!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump issues first veto, rejecting resolution blocking emergency declaration
by Caitlin Yilek
 & Melissa Quinn
 | March 15, 2019 03:53 PM

President Trump on Friday issued the first veto of his presidency, rejecting a resolution passed with bipartisan support that nullified his declaration of a national emergency to pay for a wall at the southern border.

“Today I am vetoing this resolution," Trump told reporters in the Oval Office where he was flanked by law enforcement and "angel" family members whose loved ones were killed by illegal immigrants. "Congress has the freedom to pass this resolution, and I have the duty to veto it.”

The president's action comes after a dozen Republican senators on Thursday joined their Democratic colleagues in passing a resolution of disapproval that terminated Trump's Feb. 15 emergency declaration, which had allowed him to bypass Congress and redirect federal dollars for the wall along the southern border. The White House said it would divert $3.6 billion from the Defense Department's military construction fund to build the border barrier.

Trump called the resolution "reckless" and "dangerous" and characterized the vote by Congress as "against reality."

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/trump-issues-first-veto-of-his-presidency
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
It's the right decision.
The Republic is lost.

Online libertybele

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 09:24:48 pm »
Mods -- please merge. 

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 10:44:00 pm »
Donald J. Trump
Verified accountï‚™ @realDonaldTrump 

I’d like to thank all of the Great Republican Senators who bravely voted for Strong Border Security and the WALL. This will help stop Crime, Human Trafficking, and Drugs entering our Country. Watch, when you get back to your State, they will LOVE you more than ever before!

10:42 AM - 15 Mar 2019

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1106611696548884480?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 10:45:12 pm »
Chad Pergram ‏ Verified account
@ChadPergram 6m6 minutes ago

Trump: Today I am vetoing this resolution. Congress has the freedom to pass this resolution and I have the duty to veto it.

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 10:47:02 pm »
Chad Pergram ‏ Verified account
@ChadPergram 2m2 minutes ago

Pence to Trump at veto ceremony: I don’t know that I’ve ever been prouder to stand by you than I am here today...You’re keeping your word by vetoing this legislation

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 10:48:05 pm »
Lindsey Graham ‏ Verified account
@LindseyGrahamSC 2m2 minutes ago

Totally support President @realDonaldTrump's VETO.

President Trump is right to declare an emergency on our southern border and he’s right on the law allowing him to reallocate funds to secure our southern border.

#BuildtheWall

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 11:14:24 pm »
Attorney General Bill Barr Defends President Trump in Oval Office “Your Declaration of Border Emergency is CLEARLY AUTHORIZED” (VIDEO)
Gateway Pundit, Mar 15, 2019

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2019/03/ag-bill-barr-sides-with-president-trump-on-border-emergency/

« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 11:19:13 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 11:23:13 pm »
The above video shows the President is surrounded by some strong and articulate friends and allies.

It's worth hearing them, too.

Online libertybele

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 11:35:25 pm »
It's truly refreshing to see such action taking place. It is so very unfortunate that there are still so many who refuse to acknowledge that we have a crisis at the border. 

My question is can this still be challenged and the issue decided by SCOTUS?

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2019, 02:34:44 am »
So little interest in this.  I wonder why.   888blackhat