Author Topic: Schumer says Dems plan to force future votes on Trump's declaration  (Read 350 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Schumer says Dems plan to force future votes on Trump's declaration
By Jordain Carney - 03/14/19 04:14 PM EDT

Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) said Thursday that Democrats plan to force additional votes on President Trump's emergency declaration on the U.S.-Mexico border wall.

"I believe the law allows us to bring it up every six months and certainly we would intend to do that," Schumer told reporters.

The Democratic leader's comments came moments after the Senate passed the resolution of disapproval blocking Trump's emergency declaration in a 59-41 vote. Trump quickly pledged to veto the measure — the first veto of his presidency — and neither chamber is expected to be able to override the veto.

However, under the National Emergencies Act, Democrats can force additional votes on resolutions of disapproval blocking Trump every sixth months—prolonging the political headache for Republicans.

GOP senators have said they expect Democrats to take advantage of the legal loophole.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/434131-schumer-says-dems-plan-to-hold-future-votes-on-trumps-declaration
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Schumer says Dems plan to force future votes on Trump's declaration
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 11:26:36 pm »
Schumer says Dems plan to force future votes on Trump's declaration
By Jordain Carney - 03/14/19 04:14 PM EDT

Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) said Thursday that Democrats plan to force additional votes on President Trump's emergency declaration on the U.S.-Mexico border wall.

"I believe the law allows us to bring it up every six months and certainly we would intend to do that," Schumer told reporters.

The Democratic leader's comments came moments after the Senate passed the resolution of disapproval blocking Trump's emergency declaration in a 59-41 vote. Trump quickly pledged to veto the measure — the first veto of his presidency — and neither chamber is expected to be able to override the veto.

However, under the National Emergencies Act, Democrats can force additional votes on resolutions of disapproval blocking Trump every sixth months—prolonging the political headache for Republicans.

GOP senators have said they expect Democrats to take advantage of the legal loophole.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/434131-schumer-says-dems-plan-to-hold-future-votes-on-trumps-declaration
So Chuckie believes no vote is ever final.

What a wacky way to run a governmental body.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 07:02:07 am »

I suspect the rats will reintroduce a vote on the emergency declaration every chance they get.  Just like Obamacare with the GOP Congress pre-President Trump.  As a precursor the rats will demand figures on where money was diverted from, to where, and what is the progress.  If you ever see the rats stop voting against the National Emergency, or the MSM reminding us of it, you will know the National Emergency is a winning issue with the people/voters.

Until then I will assume Trump screwed it up like has has so often.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 01:42:23 pm by Once-Ler »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 07:35:24 am »

Not so much when you consider they don't think the Constitution or the Law say what they say. These are the people of situation ethics, fluid morality, murder for convenience, ends justify the means. With no moral compass, anything goes.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 11:55:07 am »
Based on the law on the books, Congress has the authority to do this.

I don't know why democrats and conservatives want to keep reminding the America people they happily vote against their security .... but they can.   :shrug: