Author Topic: In Midst Of An Oil Boom, New Mexico Sets Bold New Climate Goals  (Read 1118 times)

Offline thackney

In Midst Of An Oil Boom, New Mexico Sets Bold New Climate Goals
https://www.npr.org/2019/03/13/702877664/in-midst-of-an-oil-boom-new-mexico-sets-bold-new-climate-goals

New Mexico, a poor but fossil fuel-rich state, is aiming to make itself a national leader in the fight against climate change.

Lawmakers passed ambitious legislation this week that will reshape the state's energy sector by mandating that the state's publicly regulated utilities get all of their electricity from carbon-free sources like solar and wind by 2045.

California and Hawaii are the only other states with 100 percent carbon-free goals on the books, though a handful of other states are currently considering similar targets.

Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham, who has actively championed the legislation --going as far as to pour coffee for lawmakers before a committee hearing on the bill — is expected to sign it into law this week....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: In Midst Of An Oil Boom, New Mexico Sets Bold New Climate Goals
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 10:08:33 pm »
Hmm, over 20% of the state's income came from oil and gas in 2017, representing over $3 billion in revenue, giving the state a billion $ surplus.

NM gets largest share of oil, gas revenues in 9-state study
https://www.abqjournal.com/1269908/nm-gets-largest-share-of-oil-gas-revenues-in-9state-study.html

I wonder where the fools in Sante Fe believe the income can come from once it eliminates that source?  I haven't read where much royalties accrue to the state from solar panels or wind turbines.

Talk about cutting one's throat.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 10:14:21 pm »
Hmm, over 20% of the state's income came from oil and gas in 2017, representing over $3 billion in revenue, giving the state a billion $ surplus.

https://www.abqjournal.com/1269908/nm-gets-largest-share-of-oil-gas-revenues-in-9state-study.html

I wonder where the fools in Sante Fe believe the income can come from once it eliminates that source?  I haven't read where much royalties accrue to the state from solar panels or wind turbines.

Nothing like shooting themselves in both feet with a shotgun. Like Colorado SB 181 (passed the Senate, expected to pass the House, will be a disaster for Colorado's State tax revenue, jobs, real estate market, etc. as well).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 10:20:31 pm »

That article says the revenue comes from production.  Even if NM stopped using gas and oil for electricity completely it's not going to have much of an effect on demand for gas and oil globally.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 10:21:05 pm »

In reality though, the legislation does little to impact the oil and gas industry other than ensure that the state phases out gas-fired power as its own energy source.

It does nothing to the export market, which is driving much of the development.

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 11:51:25 pm »
In reality though, the legislation does little to impact the oil and gas industry other than ensure that the state phases out gas-fired power as its own energy source.

It does nothing to the export market, which is driving much of the development.
So it is your belief that once the state goes all-in on using just power for its utility plants that use renewables that it will be satisfied and not undertake a drastic change to the oil and gas production/transportation sector?

I would say they will most certainly.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 11:56:39 pm »

As our "volt" guy around here, just how economically feasible is this, considering transmission of low intensity power sources?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 11:58:29 pm »
So it is your belief that once the state goes all-in on using just power for its utility plants that use renewables that it will be satisfied and not undertake a drastic change to the oil and gas production/transportation sector?

I would say they will most certainly.

I'm sorry. I just can't comprehend what any of those bleeding heart liberals think. To me, I can't imagine them Killing the Goose that Laid the Golden Egg.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 12:03:07 am »
I'm sorry. I just can't comprehend what any of those bleeding heart liberals think. To me, I can't imagine them Killing the Goose that Laid the Golden Egg.
SB 19-181 in Colorado will likely do just that. Over 230,000 jobs in the balance, not to mention oil revenues from the DJ Basin and elsewhere in the State. Economic suicide.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 12:44:15 am »
New Mexico is now a white-minority blue state, like California.

Expect more decisions just like this one in the future.

Demographic changes have consequences...

Offline thackney

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 12:10:19 pm »
As our "volt" guy around here, just how economically feasible is this, considering transmission of low intensity power sources?

The real cost would be the power storage needed.  They will have to build solar/wind capacity well above what they normally use.  Then store surplus power for night/clouds/still. 

They won't actually do it.  The costs will be outrageous.  But they will do enough just to make their power costs as high as California before they give up.

Transmission is not an issue.  Transmission, substation and distribution losses add up to about 6~7% of the generated power.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 05:56:33 pm »

It doesn't say they will cut down on oil and gas production.  Only on usage.  That means more carbon for China to burn.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 10:27:29 pm »
It doesn't say they will cut down on oil and gas production.  Only on usage.  That means more carbon for China to burn.
Once again, if you believe NM switching its power generation needs over to renewables and keep its oil and gas drilling and production unaffected, I have bridge in NM I will gladly sell you.