Author Topic: Court rules gun maker can be sued over Newtown shooting  (Read 472 times)

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Court rules gun maker can be sued over Newtown shooting
« on: March 14, 2019, 08:38:01 pm »
Gun maker Remington can be sued over how it marketed the Bushmaster rifle used to kill 20 children and six educators at Sandy Hook Elementary School in 2012, a divided Connecticut Supreme Court ruled Thursday.

Justices issued a 4-3 decision that reinstated a wrongful death lawsuit and overturned a lower court ruling that the lawsuit was prohibited by a 2005 federal law that shields gun manufacturers from liability in most cases when their products are used in crimes.

The plaintiffs include a survivor and relatives of nine people killed in the massacre. They argue the AR-15-style rifle used by shooter Adam Lanza is too dangerous for the public and Remington glorified the weapon in marketing it to young people.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/court-rules-gun-maker-can-be-sued-over-newtown-shooting/ar-BBULpA1?ocid=ientp

So now I can sue Chevy or Ford if a Corvette or Mustang runs into me.  Got it.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline andy58-in-nh

Re: Court rules gun maker can be sued over Newtown shooting
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 08:41:45 pm »
I have guns far more lethal than my AR-15. And they're not getting those, either.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 08:46:44 pm »
Justices issued a 4-3 decision that reinstated a wrongful death lawsuit and overturned a lower court ruling that the lawsuit was prohibited by a 2005 federal law that shields gun manufacturers from liability in most cases when their products are used in crimes.

Great. Federal law trumps state law. So this will go down in flames even if the plaintiffs win.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 08:49:38 pm »
I thought this was his mother's firearm, first. So "marketing the rifle to young people" has squat to do with anything. Second, I thought he used pistols on his rampage, not the long guns.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 08:56:27 pm »
I thought this was his mother's firearm, first. So "marketing the rifle to young people" has squat to do with anything. Second, I thought he used pistols on his rampage, not the long guns.

Facts never get in the way of activist Judges.  9999hair out0000
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 08:57:04 pm »
This like suing Chevron if you get run over by a car.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.