Author Topic: Perry says he's 'thrown a lot of jello at the wall,' on coal, nuclear closures  (Read 716 times)

Offline thackney

Perry says he's 'thrown a lot of jello at the wall,' on coal, nuclear closures
https://www.chron.com/business/energy/article/Perry-says-thrown-a-lot-of-jello-at-the-wall-13685747.php
March 13, 2019

Energy Secretary Rick Perry said Wednesday the Trump administration continues to look at steps to stop coal and nuclear power plants from closing.

More than a year after Perry was shot down by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission on a proposal to increase wholesale power rates for those plants, the former Texas governor said the grid is becoming too reliant on natural gas.

"Gas is cheap right now, but gas is interruptibility," he said, referring to potential pipeline disruptions. "How do you make sure you have [a reliable power supply with coal and nuclear], I'm open for conversations. I've thrown a lot of jello at the wall on this one."

Perry argues coal and nuclear plants are less susceptible to cyber and physical attacks because, unlike natural gas-fired plants, they store fuel on-site, a claim criticized by a broad coalition of American industries as a ploy to prop up a coal industry President Donald Trump championed on the campaign trail....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Well, he's right. It's more than being cheap, and it is definitely more than kowtowing to the false god of reduced global warming emissions (a nonproblem). Reliability is paramount if the grid is to be effective.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

A sensible proposition. No one understands this as much as the Japanese, who even after the recent meltdown on on its reactors, is trying to now start more nuclear capacity as it is extremely reliable. 

Gas is tremendous on achieving environmentally safe, cheap supply of power but it does have that big drawback of being unable to provide that supply should some major interruption occur in the transportation of gas.

And I like the very last of the article which provides insight into a politician in the eyes of a child:

Perry recounted how years ago when his daughter was in elementary school she was asked what her father did for a living.

"She looked them in the eye and deadpanned, 'He talks,'" Perry said.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington