Author Topic: 70 million are in the path of ‘bomb cyclone’ set to strike the central US, bringing snow, hail and r  (Read 1197 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
70 million are in the path of ‘bomb cyclone’ set to strike the central US, bringing snow, hail and rain
 Posted 10:06 am, March 13, 2019, by CNNwire, Updated at 10:07AM, March 13, 2019

An intense and ferocious winter storm — a “bomb cyclone” — is expected to bring hurricane-force wind gusts, blizzard conditions and a flood threat across a swath of the US heartland Wednesday.

A bomb cyclone occurs when there is a rapid pressure drop, falling at least 24 millibars (which measures atmospheric pressure) over 24 hours known as bombogenesis.

The massive storm is expected to wallop areas including the Rockies, Central/Northern Plains to the Upper Midwest with blizzard conditions and winds that could blow from 50 to 70 miles per hour. Other hazards include heavy snow and severe storms with possible tornadoes and flooding.

Read more at: https://fox8.com/2019/03/13/70-million-are-in-the-path-of-bomb-cyclone-set-to-strike-the-central-us-bringing-snow-hail-and-rain/

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Been in it for 18 hours now. Blizzard conditions. A good day to not go anywhere.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
[Report from Thornton, CO - just north of Denver]

High winds on the order of a Category 1 hurricane (gusts up to 80 mph at DIA, and 95 mph at Patterson AFB down in the springs).  We received 8 or 9 inches of snow but that ended around 6 pm Wed night.  It is now Thursday morning, still significant winds and blowing snow but no new accumulation.

News channels are reporting 1,000+ motorist stranded on the highways.  The gov called in the Colorado National Guard to help.  Yesterday, 10,000 or so were without power (we were fine), I do not have an update on that number as of Thursday morning.

Online mountaineer

I've been hearing weather reports for weeks now from a friend who formerly lived in western Nebraska and now is in eastern Washington. His family in Nebraska is facing this big storm, and he's just now digging out from several feet of snow.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

Colorado National Guard Braves Bomb Cyclone Ulmer to Rescue Hundreds of Stranded Motorists
By Ron Brackett and Pam Wright
3 hours agoweather.com

The Bomb Cyclone, Winter Storm Ulmer, showed off its power in the Rockies and Plains. The drifting snow buried cars, blew trucks into each other and stranded many drivers.

Winter Storm Ulmer continued to hammer the Upper Midwest on Thursday.Two deaths have been attributed to the storm. The National Guard was asked to help more than 1,000 stranded drivers on Colorado highways.Hundreds of miles of interstates were closed in Nebraska, Wyoming, Colorado, Kansas, South and North Dakota.Denver International Airport canceled more than 600 flights on Thursday

The Colorado National Guard braved 90+ MPH wind gusts and whiteout conditions in vehicles with tank-like tracks to work to rescue the hundreds of motorists stranded on paralyzed roadways across the state.

Dozens of the stranded drivers had been rescued, the Colorado National Guard reported.  ...  Video and more at Weather Channel
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Applewood

Can't find it now, but there is an amazing video of a  big rig overturned by the high winds.  Winds clocked at 100 miles per hour.  Scary. 

The local TV weather lady just said the storm is expected to fizzle by the time it gets to western PA.  Hope she's right. 

Prayers for all in the path of the storm.

Offline TomSea

Can't find it now, but there is an amazing video of a  big rig overturned by the high winds.  Winds clocked at 100 miles per hour.  Scary. 

The local TV weather lady just said the storm is expected to fizzle by the time it gets to western PA.  Hope she's right. 

Winds are a big part of this indeed. A Colo. LEO has been killed out there I heard over this storm. It's beyond snow.

Not to overstate, I've been in 70 MPH winds, those might have been up near 100 and could knock a person over.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Winds are a big part of this indeed. A Colo. LEO has been killed out there I heard over this storm. It's beyond snow.

Not to overstate, I've been in 70 MPH winds, those might have been up near 100 and could knock a person over.

If a 100 MPH wind doesn't knock you over, debris flying at 100 MPH will.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Smokin Joe

If a 100 MPH wind doesn't knock you over, debris flying at 100 MPH will.
You guys have left out windchill and the effects of being pelted with blowing snow, reduced visibility, drifting on highways, etc. Our drilling rig has been shut down for over a day because there is no way for anyone to get medical assistance should they get hurt, and getting hurt is much more likely in blizzard conditions. The weather is starting to abate here, but the last 24 hours have been nasty.

This was preceded by rain, sleet (ice covering everything), and then the snow--a particularly undesirable combination.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
You guys have left out windchill and the effects of being pelted with blowing snow, reduced visibility, drifting on highways, etc. Our drilling rig has been shut down for over a day because there is no way for anyone to get medical assistance should they get hurt, and getting hurt is much more likely in blizzard conditions. The weather is starting to abate here, but the last 24 hours have been nasty.

This was preceded by rain, sleet (ice covering everything), and then the snow--a particularly undesirable combination.

Snow on ice is the worst.
I will NOT comply.

Online Smokin Joe

Snow on ice is the worst.
Actually, rain is....with snow, there is usually some traction.

C S Lewis

Offline TomSea

No, nobody left anything out. We don't know if those conditions exist, they surely don't exist everywhere this bomb cyclone is.

Online Smokin Joe

No, nobody left anything out. We don't know if those conditions exist, they surely don't exist everywhere this bomb cyclone is.
I know, I have been in the middle of this sh*t for the last 24 hours.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

???

How do you get a winter storm without windchill?  Blowing snow?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline TomSea

Actually, rain is....with snow, there is usually some traction.

What you're missing  are "white out" conditions, snow all over the place, not easy to describe. Snow-blinding at times.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
That was one heck of a storm.  We didn't get very much snow in Colorado Springs proper...but all of the surrounding areas did.  I-25 North and I-70 east to the Kansas state line are closed through probably tomorrow.

The county administrator told everyone to stay off the roads in the Springs today.  Everyone took their advice except for the Army.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Applewood

This link has the video of the semi overturned by high winds during the bomb cyclone in Texas:

https://www.iheart.com/content/2019-03-14-bomb-cyclone-winds-topple-semi-truck-in-texas/

Offline dfwgator

Remember when it was just called, "Winter"?

Offline Applewood

Remember when it was just called, "Winter"?

Well...upwards of 100 mile an hour winds, 3100 flight cancelations, overturned semis...this isn't your typical winter weather. 

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

It was a Colorado State Trooper...Corporal Daniel Groves.  He was working a traffic incident where a car had skidded off of I-76 when he was struck by a car that had lost control on the icy road.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

That happened in Amarillo.  I lived there when I was a kid...they get some incredible wind gusts there this time of year.  They had a train blown off of a bridge near the Texas/New Mexico border outside of Amarillo too yesterday.

Online Smokin Joe

It was a Colorado State Trooper...Corporal Daniel Groves.  He was working a traffic incident where a car had skidded off of I-76 when he was struck by a car that had lost control on the icy road.
That happened about 12 miles from where i am.

C S Lewis