Author Topic: Carry On Wayward Veteran  (Read 223 times)

rangerrebew

Carry On Wayward Veteran
« on: March 14, 2019, 10:44:13 am »
Carry On Wayward Veteran

February 27, 2019 by Mike Kelvington ~ Leave A Comment

Originally published in February of 2017.

For the past 18 months, I’ve had the fortunate opportunity to “unplug” from the operational Army and be a graduate student at Princeton University. During this time, I must admit I’ve been chasing ghosts. I’ve toiled and mulled over thoughts and feelings wondering: “Is there something wrong with me?” Sadly, veterans and the military have been used as political footballs on many occasions. Inconsistent and overinflated statistics of veterans with PTSD are touted by politicians to score points or attempt to skew an argument in their favor. For example, declaring concerns about whether veterans possibly “incapacitated . . . [because of] PTSD, which I think is a new phenomenon as a product of the Iraq War,” should be afforded their constitutional right to keep and bear arms which they fought so hard to protect. Of course, this discussion on the rights of veterans is underscored by the inaccurate statement that PTSD is somehow a manifestation of the Iraq war; battle fatigue and shell-shock have been around long before the 21st century.

https://havokjournal.com/culture/military/carry-on-wayward-veteran/