Author Topic: Former University President Nails Many of Higher Education’s Ills  (Read 596 times)

rangerrebew

Former University President Nails Many of Higher Education’s Ills
Feb 27, 2019 George Leef 

Often, the strongest criticisms of higher education come from insiders. One insider is Daniel Johnson, who retired as president of the University of Toledo in 2006 after an academic career that included several senior leadership positions. He has recently published a book, The Uncertain Future of American Public Higher Education, that illuminates many of the worst problems besetting higher ed.

Much of Johnson’s analysis is excellent, but he misfires on some. I will start with the book’s best sections.

While some of our higher education traditions are sound, many others, Johnson argues, are outmoded. They lead to “unaffordable costs for students, ineffective and inefficient delivery of instruction, and failure to adapt to advanced, lower cost, and more effective technologies and methods.”

https://www.jamesgmartin.center/2019/02/former-university-president-nails-many-of-higher-educations-ills/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Consider that while some people are whining about 'trigger words' and 'safe spaces' and how hard they have it in college...others their age are working on oil rigs in all sorts of weather, in shifts that go around the clock.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis