Author Topic: Ancestory DNA test kits.  (Read 2776 times)

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Ancestory DNA test kits.
« on: March 13, 2019, 03:37:33 am »
Anyone else send theirs off for testing?   
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Ancestory DNA test kits.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 05:41:12 am »
Nope.  When my brother goes on a five-state murder spree I don't want the DNA test to finger me for it.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 08:29:46 am »
I read the Feds are getting access to the results and fingering folks with it. It ain't private, I don't care for it.... (not that I have done anything, but dna results also affect family members).
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 10:04:59 am »
I have DNA kits at Ancestry and FTDNA so if I disappear you will know why.

Seriously, it has helped me connect with many relatives I would otherwise have never met.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 01:12:54 pm »

Seriously, it has helped me connect with many relatives I would otherwise have never met.

@Bigun

Let that be a lesson to you.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 01:21:57 pm »
The possibility of bad guys getting the information did occur to me, but I really wanted to know whether family lore about Shawnee ancestry was true, so I did the test.  No injun blood, as it turns out.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 01:41:41 pm »

Same here.  Several previous genealogical finds were speculative, until I had some genetic proof.  My criminal record has been limited to speeding tickets, so I find the risk (at least in my case) minimal.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 01:46:20 pm »
Anyone else send theirs off for testing?

I did mine at Christmas..it was dead on....one surprise was that I am 13% Swedish......no one knows where that came from...mostly Eastern Europe...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 01:52:36 pm »
I did mine at Christmas..it was dead on....one surprise was that I am 13% Swedish......no one knows where that came from...mostly Eastern Europe...

@mystery-ak

Why would that be surprising when it was the Vikings that settled Eastern Europe? Russia got it's name from the Viking tribe known as the "Rus".

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 01:58:34 pm »
@mystery-ak

Why would that be surprising when it was the Vikings that settled Eastern Europe? Russia got it's name from the Viking tribe known as the "Rus".

Hmmmm...interesting..didn't think about that...

Ethnicity Estimate

Germanic Europe39%

Eastern Europe & Russia38%

Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland & Lithuania

Małopolska & the Tatras

Poland, Slovakia, Hungary & Romania

Hungary & Slovakia

Sweden13%

England, Wales & Northwestern Europe6%

Ireland & Scotland4%

« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 02:04:55 pm by mystery-ak »
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 02:00:42 pm »
@mystery-ak

I believe there must have been a good amount of travel around the Baltic region, Poland, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Finland, Russia, and the Swedes. etc
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 02:02:46 pm »
Hmmmm...interesting..didn't think about that...

Same here, I am as Anglo as they come...  English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh descent....   Still test came back 5% Nowegian.  Norseman did a number on the Island about 1200 years ago.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2019, 02:11:22 pm »
61% England, Wales, and Northwestern Europe
29% Scotland and Ireland
5% Iberian Peninsula
2 other regions

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2019, 02:24:26 pm »
My Breakdown:

European 97%

British Isles 46%
    East Europe < 2%
    Finland < 2%
    Scandinavia 13%
    West and Central Europe 38%

My Better Half's Breakdown:

East Central Africa < 2%
West Africa  2%
North and Central America  63%
South America  3%
East Asian 2%
Siberia  2%
Southeast Asia < 1%
North Africa < 2%
Southeast Europe 26%

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2019, 02:26:50 pm »
Same here, I am as Anglo as they come...  English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh descent....   Still test came back 5% Nowegian.  Norseman did a number on the Island about 1200 years ago.

@catfish1957

Well,as the girls have been saying since the dawn of history,"Hi,sailor! New in town?". Boys will be boys and girls will be girls,and don't kid yourself. The people back then have a VERY good understanding of the value of fresh blood to the survival of their tribe. When the occasional redheaded and blue or green-eyed child showed up after a birth,everybody would say "WOW! Lookit that! How cute!" and just pretend it was normal.

For the same reasons,that child was never lacking in attention from the opposite gender once they hit puberty.

Got NOTHING to do with morality or a lack of morality,and EVERYTHING to do with the survival of the human race. It is instinctive and needs no thought or reasoning.  It's the human part of human nature,

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2019, 02:35:55 pm »
@mystery-ak

I also did mine at Christmas because the kit was on sale.  Right now I'm in the kitchen on small computer.  When I go back to my work area with main computer, I'll list the results here.  I haven't filled out the family tree thingy yet. Did you do that?

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2019, 02:48:39 pm »
@mystery-ak

I also did mine at Christmas because the kit was on sale.  Right now I'm in the kitchen on small computer.  When I go back to my work area with main computer, I'll list the results here.  I haven't filled out the family tree thingy yet. Did you do that?

Family Tree Thingy?

Yes, but I haven't done much with it for a long time. I currently have 3,535 people on it and I have 14,427 Hints listed to go thru.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2019, 02:51:41 pm »
Family Tree Thingy?

Yes, but I haven't done much with it for a long time. I currently have 3,535 people on it and I have 14,427 Hints listed to go thru.

My tree currently has 14425 names in it.  My wive has a similar number.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2019, 02:56:28 pm »
@mystery-ak

I started it on my father's side...but really don't need to since an uncle did it years ago...

I would like to do my Mother's side since this is probably her's...no one kept records so it will be hard

England, Wales & Northwestern Europe6%

Ireland & Scotland4%
Support the USO

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2019, 03:13:14 pm »
My tree currently has 14425 names in it.  My wive has a similar number.

Joke from the Clinton years:  "My family tree has no branches!"
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2019, 04:34:18 pm »
Three of my grandparents were Lithuanian and one Irish- the results confirm this.

Ethnicity Estimate

Baltic States
65%

Ireland & Scotland
18%
Munster, Ireland
North Munster
Waterford

Eastern Europe & Russia
12%

Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland & Lithuania
Lithuania

Germanic Europe
3%

European Jewish
1%

England, Wales & Northwestern Europe
1%

Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2019, 04:39:52 pm »

Ethnicity Estimate

Ireland & Scotland
18%
Munster, Ireland
North Munster
Waterford

How are you getting the breakdown on Irish section?  I have had an ancestry account since 1998, and a dna test since 2013.  No breakdowns for me on any of my locals.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 04:41:50 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2019, 07:51:58 pm »
I've been working on my family tree with Ancestry. Last September, we traveled to France and Germany and visited the home villages of my greatx7-grandparents. Quite a thrill. Since then, I've been able to go deeper by about 100 years.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline austingirl

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2019, 10:35:51 pm »
How are you getting the breakdown on Irish section?  I have had an ancestry account since 1998, and a dna test since 2013.  No breakdowns for me on any of my locals.

This breakdown recently showed up- they are always updating and improving the data. I knew my ancestors were from Waterford County, probably Dungarvan, but if you don't know which hamlet, it's hard to find information. I have connected to several people who are distant relatives.

Offline austingirl

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2019, 10:38:07 pm »
I've been working on my family tree with Ancestry. Last September, we traveled to France and Germany and visited the home villages of my greatx7-grandparents. Quite a thrill. Since then, I've been able to go deeper by about 100 years.

When I went to Ireland, I got the line "we have no records, the church burned down." I think that's standard. I have since seen baptismal records from a distant relative who has international access on Ancestry. Nice that you had better results on your trip.