Author Topic: Scientists have discovered a shape that blocks all sound–even your co-workers  (Read 1577 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

By Mark Wilson

A team of Boston University researchers recently stuck a loudspeaker into one end of a PVC pipe. They cranked it up loud. What did they hear? Nothing.

How was this possible? Did they block the other end of the pipe with noise canceling foams or a chunk of concrete? No, nothing of the sort. The pipe was actually left open save for a small, 3D-printed ring placed around the rim. That ring cut 94% of the sound blasting from the speaker, enough to make it inaudible to the human ear.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90316833/scientists-have-discovered-a-shape-that-blocks-all-sound-even-your-co-workers
The Republic is lost.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The researchers also believe that HVAC systems could be fitted with these silencers,

I wonder if they would still reflect back 94% of the sound once coated with dust.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Kewl.  Next time I want to wear a PVC pipe in my ear I know what I'll do.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I can think of a couple of applications for something like this....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

I dunno...it looks like it's dependent on a standing wave, hence the PVC tube.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Smokin Joe

I dunno...it looks like it's dependent on a standing wave, hence the PVC tube.
Yep, likely frequency tuned. I knew a guy who was working on something like this.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline dfwgator

Offline thackney

I can think of a couple of applications calibers for something like this....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Smokin Joe

GMTA... :shrug: :beer:

Might add a bit of stealth to a vehicle or two as well....

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

On AOC's microphone lead?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Smokin Joe

On AOC's microphone lead?
Those donut shaped seat cushions....

(Voice is different, breath's the same....)

C S Lewis

Offline verga

I can think of a couple of applications calibers for something like this....
First thing I thought of @thackney
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.