Author Topic: BREXIT LIVE! MPs reject Theresa May's deal by 149 votes  (Read 1387 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
BREXIT LIVE! MPs reject Theresa May's deal by 149 votes
« on: March 12, 2019, 08:20:23 pm »
Live Sky Coverage:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Brexit: MPs reject Theresa May's deal by 149 votes
    12 March 2019

Prime Minister Theresa May's EU withdrawal deal has been rejected by MPs for a second time, throwing her Brexit strategy into further confusion.

MPs voted down her deal by 391 to 242 - a smaller defeat than when they rejected it in January.

The PM said MPs will now get a vote on whether the UK should leave without a deal on 29 March and, if that fails, on whether Brexit should be delayed.

She said Tory MPs will get a free vote on a no-deal Brexit.

Read more at: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-47547887

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: BREXIT LIVE! MPs reject Theresa May's deal by 149 votes
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 08:24:32 pm »
What is it with these damned politicians, on both sides of the Atlantic, that makes them think they can over-rule the clear will of the people?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 08:50:00 pm »
What is it with these damned politicians, on both sides of the Atlantic, that makes them think they can over-rule the clear will of the people?

The clear will of the people to return them to office, year after year, regardless of what they do.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 09:13:13 pm »
The clear will of the people to return them to office, year after year, regardless of what they do.

I imagine that we will soon see if that holds up this time.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Bill Cipher

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 09:54:23 pm »

What clear will is that?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 09:59:00 pm »
What clear will is that?

The one they expressed when they voted to leave the EU.   You can recall that can't you?

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 10:01:34 pm »
The one they expressed when they voted to leave the EU.   You can recall that can't you?

One of the main reasons for the 'cold feet' is that the US is undergoing a rapid change.

With no POTUS Trump in 2021, markets will run for cover.  In said event, buy a generator asap.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Bill Cipher

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 10:32:23 pm »

That wasn’t a clear expression of “the people’s” will.  That was a muddled decision that was about as close to 50/50 as one can get. 

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 02:19:54 am »
Theresa May's Brexit deal is rejected again: Here's what happens next
CNBC, Mar 12, 2019, Matt Clinch

•The route forward is still uncertain but May has already promised two more votes for the U.K. Parliament.
•On Wednesday and Thursday, respectively, lawmakers will likely get to vote on whether the U.K. should leave the 28-member bloc with no deal, or should request a delay to its departure, which is currently scheduled for March 29.

The route forward is still extremely uncertain but May has already promised two more votes for the U.K. Parliament. On Wednesday and Thursday, respectively, lawmakers will get to vote on whether the U.K. should leave the 28-member bloc with no deal, or should request a delay to its departure — which is currently scheduled for March 29.

May confirmed that these votes would go ahead just seconds after her deal was overwhelmingly rejected for a second time.

The first vote on a no-deal scenario — where the U.K. crashes out of the bloc and has to rely on WTO trading rules — is highly likely to be rejected by politicians. However, it's not concrete and there's still a possibility the U.K. could leave without a deal, even if they vote against it.

[...]

If Wednesday's vote is rejected, lawmakers will vote Thursday evening on whether they want an extension to Article 50 — which is the formal two-year process governing Britain's departure from the European Union.

With only 17 days left until the Brexit deadline, it's possible that lawmakers could back this, although pro-Brexit MPs (Members of Parliament) worry that this could lead to a second referendum or no Brexit at all.

An extension to Article 50 also opens up the possibility of another general election in the U.K. if May, perhaps understandably, grows weary of the political stalemate in Westminster.

More:  https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/12/brexit-deal-rejected-again-heres-what-happens-next.html

Offline TomSea

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 02:43:59 am »
One of the main reasons for the 'cold feet' is that the US is undergoing a rapid change.

With no POTUS Trump in 2021, markets will run for cover.  In said event, buy a generator asap.

I heard today, someone comment that England can survive because of the USA's role. I'd like to think that's true. I think it was on one of the news shows and not just on some forum.

Offline thackney

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 12:43:47 pm »

You think you will be able to buy fuel but not electricity?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline TomSea

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2019, 09:50:55 pm »
With friend, Nigel Farage, we may make sure UK gets by okay.

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2019, 11:48:47 am »

As I understand it, Britain could leave their message directly.

By bombing Brussels.

:)
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2019, 12:18:05 pm »
You think you will be able to buy fuel but not electricity?
Not to mention all the neighbors coming over, attracted by the noise and the lights...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jpsb

Offline jpsb

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2019, 02:05:03 pm »
What clear will is that?

Leave   17,410,742   51.89%
Remain   16,141,241   48.11%

Offline TomSea

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2019, 10:12:05 am »
Taking sticky off of this Brexit thread...