Author Topic: TV actresses among 40 people charged in college entrance exam cheating plot  (Read 5227 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
This is what happens when the name on the diploma is more important than the things you learned to earn it.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline dfwgator

Or when the Court Jester thinks they can be the King.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
This is what happens when the name on the diploma is more important than the things you learned to earn it.

I'm convinced the parents also want their kids to make lifetime contacts and maybe a mate not affiliated with Hollywood.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
That was .... interesting.
Blocked now.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Polly Ticks

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline verga

For 6 million dollars why not follow Rodney Dangerfield's advice and donate a building? Seriously the outcome would be the same. the kid would get the fake diploma and you would stay out of jail.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline thackney

It amuses me that these parents were so desperate to get their little darlings into the right "prominent" school, even though many of those big-name schools are really quite inferior.

Further, even a poor student with mediocre SAT/ACT scores can get into college -  just not into a prestigious fancy-schmancy one that will impress the neighbors. But if the kid really wants to get an education, then he should attend the "no prestige" small state school that will accept him without his parents having to pay a bounty or fake his test scores. If he does, he probably will find that, in the long run, the lesser school provided a better education than Harvard.

Or, as IowaHawk said:

They are not interested in an education.  They need an entrance in the exclusive society.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The sad part of all this is that qualified people did not get in, because these creeps were taking those spots....

They were robbed.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

rangerrebew

UH-OH: Obama’s Two Daughters Connected In The Massive College Bribery Scheme
March 13, 2019 Collin Rugg

On Tuesday, actresses Lori Laughlin and Felicity Huffman got busted for bribing elite schools will excess amounts of money and altering their children’s test scores so they can get into the top schools.

Along with the two actresses, 50 others were also indicted for being involved with the scheme, one of them being a former Georgetown University tennis coach who was the instructor for former First Lady Michelle Obama and her two daughters.

The Tennis coach, Gordon Ernst, was formerly employed at Georgetown as the men’s and women’s head tennis coach at Georgetown.

Check out what the Daily Mail reported:

https://ilovemyfreedom.org/uh-oh-obamas-two-daughters-connected-in-the-massive-college-bribery-scheme/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 10:16:11 am by rangerrebew »

Offline verga

Birds of a feather and all that.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline mountaineer

The tennis coach connection is somewhat tenuous, but it's worth asking how Malia really did get into Harvard and Chelsea Clinton into Stanford (and Oxford). I suspect admission wasn't based their high school academic records. Did they take the place of more highly qualified students?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

David Burge   @iowahawkblog
10m10 minutes ago

I think the best punishment for these colleges is to make them change their names for 4 years.

USC : Inglewood Community College
Harvard : East Boston Vo-Tech
Yale : FSU-New Haven
:silly:

Offline mountaineer

New column at The Federalist:
Do You Want Your Kids To Go To An Elite College Or Get An Education? They’re Not The Same Thing
College entrance has become the primary, all-consuming educational goal for far too many parents, at the expense of understanding what constitutes a good education and what it should accomplish.
By Mark Hemingway   
March 14, 2019

The celebrity college admissions scandal feels tremendously validating. I don’t mean I’m reveling in the misfortune of vapid celebrities with disagreeable politics, although if I’m being honest, my schadenfreude meter blew past acceptable levels for a practicing Christian as soon as the story broke.  ...

... Getting good grades at my children’s school requires even the good students to grow and face challenges. The school encourages self-sufficiency among students, and is not afraid for children to face consequences for bad behavior and mistakes. This is what I want for my children, precisely because I want what’s best for them.

But, as has been so well illustrated by the college admissions scandal, America’s elites, much less our educational institutions, don’t seem to give one whit about the idea that education should be first and foremost designed to produce moral and competent citizenry. The end goal for them is preserving and passing on their elite status to their children, and in the case of the universities, making enormous amounts of money off the anxiety surrounding this goal.  ...
Read the entire article

Offline verga

Offline LMAO

The sad part of all this is that qualified people did not get in, because these creeps were taking those spots....

They were robbed.

@Smokin Joe

How many of these people involved in this scandal have lamented the fact that there’s not enough minorities in college?
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@Smokin Joe

How many of these people involved in this scandal have lamented the fact that there’s not enough minorities in college?

@LMAO

All of them?

Do I win anything?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
You'd be surprised how many people game the system to their kids advantage.

Here is a personal example.  Here in Texas (at least then) the top 10% of your class gets an automatic enrollment to their choice of state schools.  And here in Texas that typically is UT or A & M.  Sadly my eldest son missed that 10% criteria by one person.   Of course of interest is that we knew of 8 parents who sent their kids to inner city schools for 3 years to baloon their GPA's only to move their kid to our "higher standard" school for their senior year.  7 or those latecomers beat my son's GPA, including one young lady who happened to finish one person higher in the seratim than him. 

I challenged the school district about the fairness of this, but they said that the rules were the rules.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Rivergirl

Brook Shields got into Princeton for the same reason other famous names are accepted into prestigious universities.    These names bring applications galore.

Offline thackney

You'd be surprised how many people game the system to their kids advantage.

Here is a personal example.  Here in Texas (at least then) the top 10% of your class gets an automatic enrollment to their choice of state schools.  And here in Texas that typically is UT or A & M.  Sadly my eldest son missed that 10% criteria by one person.   Of course of interest is that we knew of 8 parents who sent their kids to inner city schools for 3 years to baloon their GPA's only to move their kid to our "higher standard" school for their senior year.  7 or those latecomers beat my son's GPA, including one young lady who happened to finish one person higher in the seratim than him. 

I challenged the school district about the fairness of this, but they said that the rules were the rules.

UT has moved to top 6%

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/09/15/ut-austin-raises-automatic-admissions-threshold-6-percent/

I challenge the wisdom of parents that want the kids peers/companions to be the inner city schools during their teens.

I think my last kid got far more value in life growing up in an rural environment and the kids around here.  All of the guys she has dated first had dinner at my house and asked permission to date my daughter.  And I did not set that condition, each boy required it from my daughter.

While that may also say something about with whom my daughter associates, it is a reflection of the attitudes in this area.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Rivergirl

Or Spielberg, Bill Cosby, the Sacklers, the Rockefellers, and assorted others.
So you approve of a convicted felon donating a few million dollars to Harvard to enable his son's admission?  BTW, the Kushners are democrats, as are their sons and daughter in laws.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
So you approve of a convicted felon donating a few million dollars to Harvard to enable his son's admission?  BTW, the Kushners are democrats, as are their sons and daughter in laws.

@Rivergirl

You would think that a convicted felon would want his children to stay away from a cesspool of corruption and criminality like Harvard,but it's his kid.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Lori Loughlin's daughters Olivia and Isabella both QUIT USC because they're scared of being 'viciously bullied' after their parents were implicated in college bribery scandal

Olivia Jade was enjoying spring break on a yacht owned by Rick Caruso, chairman of USC's Board of Trustees, when news of her mom's indictment broke
    But now sources say Olivia and Isabella have no plans to return to the school
    Source said Olivia 'is a mess, despondent and feeling like it's end of the world'
    Olivia and Isabella will 'lay low' and have no imminent plans to enroll elsewhere
    Loughlin and her husband Mossimo Giannulli are accused of bribing college officials and coaches with $500,000 to get their daughters into USC 
    Allegedly bribed to get their daughters in as recruits for the USC rowing team 
    Olivia has since lost her partnership with Sephora and Hallmark cut ties with Loughlin, who featured in many of their movies as well as an original series 

By Anneta Konstantinides For Dailymail.com

Published: 18:07 EDT, 14 March 2019 | Updated: 18:47 EDT, 14 March 2019

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6811135/Loris-Loughlins-daughters-Olivia-Isabella-quit-USC.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline verga

UT has moved to top 6%

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/09/15/ut-austin-raises-automatic-admissions-threshold-6-percent/

I challenge the wisdom of parents that want the kids peers/companions to be the inner city schools during their teens.

I think my last kid got far more value in life growing up in an rural environment and the kids around here.  All of the guys she has dated first had dinner at my house and asked permission to date my daughter.  And I did not set that condition, each boy required it from my daughter.

While that may also say something about with whom my daughter associates, it is a reflection of the attitudes in this area.
Agreed around here befroe you asked a girl out you either worked for her Daddy, or a friend of her daddy's, or went to Church with the family.

Offline mountaineer

How on earth did you reach the conclusion that I approved of that practice? I merely added a few names to the list, just in the interest of being bipartisan. Donating big money in the hope of getting something in exchange is pretty common.
Acknowledging that it happens doesn't mean I approve.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 11:27:55 pm by mountaineer »