Author Topic: TV actresses among 40 people charged in college entrance exam cheating plot  (Read 5230 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
TV actresses among 40 people charged in college entrance exam cheating plot

The scheme involved students who attended or were seeking to attend Georgetown University, Stanford University, UCLA, and other top colleges.

March 12, 2019, 9:13 AM CDT / Updated March 12, 2019, 9:50 AM CDT
By Tom Winter, Pete Williams and Julia Ainsley

Hollywood actresses Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman are among at least 40 people charged in a large-scale college entrance exam cheating scheme, according to court documents unsealed Tuesday.

The alleged scheme focused on getting students admitted to elite universities as recruited athletes, regardless of their athletic abilities, and helping potential students cheat on their college exams, according to the indictment unsealed in Boston.

more
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/feds-uncover-massive-college-entrance-exam-cheating-plot-n982136
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
I always assumed this was happening. Cheating at SAT tests is rampant. That's how you can get into an engineering school without being able to speak English
Countdown to Resignation

Offline mountaineer

This story is beyond bizarre. Some relevant tweets:
Judd Legum  Verified account @JuddLegum

Indictment against wealthy parents buying their kids into selective college is stunning. Some kids didn't know about their parents efforts. But Lori Loughlin's kids did. They pretended to row crew - even posed on ERG machines - to get into USC. They are both Instagram stars.
----------------------
After receiving provisional admission based on pretended to row crew, Loughlin's daughter couldn't figure out how to fill out the actual application, so they had the fraudster fill one out for her. The scope of laziness and entitlement here is something
From Good Morning America:
Hollywood actors, including Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin, and a slew of chief executives are among 50 people charged in a nationwide college admissions cheating scam, according to court records unsealed in Boston Tuesday.

Those indicted allegedly paid bribes of up to $6 million to get their children into elite colleges, including Yale, Stanford, Georgetown and the University of Southern California, federal prosecutors said. ...

The documents say actress Lori Loughlin -- best known for her role as Aunt Becky on the ABC sitcom "Full House" -- and her husband, fashion designer Mossimo Giannulli, "agreed to pay bribes totaling $500,000 in exchange for having their two daughters designated as recruits to the USC crew team -- despite the fact that they did not participate in crew -- thereby facilitating their admission to USC." ...
link
 :thud:

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
(CNN) - Actresses Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin are among dozens of parents, sports coaches and college prep executives accused of carrying out a national conspiracy to get students into prestigious colleges, according to a massive federal indictment.

The purpose of the alleged scam was to help student athletes get into college as recruited athletes, regardless of their athletic ability, according to the indictment. It alleges that a third party took the ACT and SAT college entrance exams in place of students. The documents also allege that some defendants created fake athletic profiles for students to make them appear to be successful athletes and get them into college.

[snip]

Huffman, an Academy Award nominee, has been charged with felony conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud, according to court paperwork filed Monday in federal court in Massachusetts. A law enforcement source confirms to CNN that the actress has been arrested in Los Angeles.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/12/us/college-admission-cheating-scheme/index.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline mountaineer

... The warrant also includes transcripts of phone calls recorded by the FBI that shows Huffman and Loughlin, separately, discussing the plan with the cooperating witnesses.

Loughlin was recorded at one point saying, ” So we– so we just– so we just have to say we made a donation to your foundation and that’s it, end of story.”  ...
Yahoo entertainment

From twitter:
Demian Bulwa    Verified account @demianbulwa

BREAKING: Stanford's longtime sailing coach John Vandemoer to plead guilty today to charges in connection with national college-admissions bribery scandal. Story TK
11:41 AM - 12 Mar 2019
Story on Stanford sailing also at SF Chronicle

Offline Mod1

Merged threads

Offline Polly Ticks

Ok, I admit I haven't read the article, but I'm confused.  If they got in on the premise that they could row crew, and then it turns out that they CAN'T row (or probably even spell) crew ... how is that supposed to work??
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Ok, I admit I haven't read the article, but I'm confused.  If they got in on the premise that they could row crew, and then it turns out that they CAN'T row (or probably even spell) crew ... how is that supposed to work??

I'm guessing they simply decide "to concentrate on their studies" and not do crew.  It doesn't appear to be a scholarship situation.

Offline edpc

Then they can always try out for the Equatorial Guinea Olympic Swim Team.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline goatprairie

I would assume that for as long as there have been institutions of higher learning whereby earning a degree in a certain field was a guarantee to a successful career,  high rollers and wealthy alumni have been getting their idiot kids into select colleges thanks to hefty bribes...er.....donations.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
How times change, this was never an issue if your name was Ted Kennedy it was just normal to pay someone to take your tests.

Offline dfwgator

This story is beyond bizarre. Some relevant tweets:From Good Morning America:link
 :thud:

But Lori Loughlin's kids did. They pretended to row crew - even posed on ERG machines - to get into USC. They are both Instagram stars.

USC = University of Spoiled Children

Offline Polly Ticks

Then they can always try out for the Equatorial Guinea Olympic Swim Team.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

That was .... interesting.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Rivergirl

What irked me was the comment by the man making the announcement  that he was not talking about people who donated buildings to certain universities so their child would have a better chance of admission.

Guess he wanted to be sure Kushner, Trump, and assorted others wouldn't be implicated.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Lori Loughlin’s daughter cashed in on student status after alleged bribery scheme
https://pagesix.com/2019/03/12/lori-loughlins-daughter-cashed-in-on-student-status-after-alleged-bribery-scheme/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Don't you dare try to claim that teebee actresses are stupid! I see them solving complex problems of all types every day on my teebee. Plus,I see them on talk shows talking about how smart they are,and getting patted on the head by other teebee acresses pretending to be sages.

What next? You going to try to tell me my teebee lies to me?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
What irked me was the comment by the man making the announcement  that he was not talking about people who donated buildings to certain universities so their child would have a better chance of admission.

Guess he wanted to be sure Kushner, Trump, and assorted others wouldn't be implicated.

@Rivergirl

No,what irked you is some of your bubblehead leftist idols got nailed,and Republicans didn't.

Offline Absalom

We moderns, enamored of form rather than substance, worship
institutions, such as universities which confer credentials, like a
visa, having little to do w/either knowledge or wisdom.
The wise Greeks and Romans, among them Aristotle and Plato,
were self-educated and created Western Civilization.
Yet we insist we are the greatest. Why of Course!
The core problem is direct and simple. Our head, being firmly
embedded in our rectum, has caused us to go completely blind.
Yet History, as always, will write our last chapter!!!!!

Offline mountaineer

Or Spielberg, Bill Cosby, the Sacklers, the Rockefellers, and assorted others.

Offline edpc

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Short synopsis of the scheme, charges, and people involved.

Offline mountaineer

It amuses me that these parents were so desperate to get their little darlings into the right "prominent" school, even though many of those big-name schools are really quite inferior.

Further, even a poor student with mediocre SAT/ACT scores can get into college -  just not into a prestigious fancy-schmancy one that will impress the neighbors. But if the kid really wants to get an education, then he should attend the "no prestige" small state school that will accept him without his parents having to pay a bounty or fake his test scores. If he does, he probably will find that, in the long run, the lesser school provided a better education than Harvard.

Or, as IowaHawk said:
David Burge   @iowahawkblog
30m30 minutes ago

It's a great day to be a graduate of a cheap state party school.
What does the N on Nebraska's helmet stand for?
NotpayingmilliondollarbribestogotoYale
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 11:09:27 pm by mountaineer »

Offline mountaineer

College-admissions scheme ringleader pleads guilty in Boston court
By Sean Philip Cotter
 Boston Herald
PUBLISHED: March 12, 2019 at 6:09 pm | UPDATED: March 12, 2019 at 7:08 pm

The ringleader of a nationwide pay-to-play scheme to get rich kids into elite colleges pleaded guilty in court today, signing an agreement that could send him to prison for decades.

“Guilty,” William “Rick” Singer said, delivering his plea in court to four criminal charges carrying a maximum sentence of 65 years behind bars.

U.S. Attorney’s office prosecutor Eric Rosen read off the litany of accusations against Singer, including that the 58-year-old Sacramento man had set up an elaborate test-taking scheme. Rosen also detailed Singer’s usage of what was ostensibly his charity for underserved kids to funnel hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes to college coaches to pretend his clients were top athletes. ...

Singer admitted to settling up a test-taking scheme, bringing the children of the rich and powerful to Houston or Los Angeles to places where he would “control the site,” bringing a site manager and his own proctor — the one who would ultimately fill out the test.

“I would already tell him the score we wanted, and he would make sure they got that score exactly,” Singer told the judge.  ...
Full story at Boston Herald

Offline musiclady

It amuses me that these parents were so desperate to get their little darlings into the right "prominent" school, even though many of those big-name schools are really quite inferior.

Further, even a poor student with mediocre SAT/ACT scores can get into college -  just not into a prestigious fancy-schmancy one that will impress the neighbors. But if the kid really wants to get an education, then he should attend the "no prestige" small state school that will accept him without his parents having to pay a bounty or fake his test scores. If he does, he probably will find that, in the long run, the lesser school provided a better education than Harvard.

How true that is!  The big name schools don't need to actually provide a good education to keep up their reputations, long past deserving.

Sometimes little Community Colleges provide better educations with professors who care about teaching rather than publishing and getting their names in print.

But Aunt Becky?? Really???  Now THIS hurts.  wink777
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

Or, as IowaHawk said:

@mountaineer

None of those "children" are worried about learning a trade or working a job. They all are trust fund children,who will "earn" their living by helping finance movies or other entertainment events with titles such as "associate producers". Eventually they will become producers as they get on a first name basis with the money people behind the scenes.

Having jobs is for the "little people".

Offline dfwgator

"Looks like University of Illinois!"