Author Topic: Former vice president Cheney challenges Pence at private retreat, compares Trump’s foreign policy to  (Read 672 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Former vice president Cheney challenges Pence at private retreat, compares Trump’s foreign policy to Obama’s approach
By Robert Costa and
Ashley Parker
March 11 at 5:01 PM

A chummy discussion between Vice President Pence and former vice president Richard B. Cheney quickly turned into a vigorous back-and-forth over President Trump’s foreign policy at a private gathering on Saturday, with Cheney comparing the president’s instincts to those of his Democratic predecessor Barack Obama, according to a transcript obtained by The Washington Post.

At the closed-door retreat hosted by the American Enterprise Institute on March 9 in Sea Island, Ga., Cheney respectfully but repeatedly and firmly pressed Pence on a number of the president’s foreign policy moves — over which Cheney expressed concerns — from taking a harder line toward U.S. allies in the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to deciding to withdraw troops from Syria during what Cheney fretted was “the middle of a phone call.”

Cheney also worried aloud to Pence that “we’re getting into a situation when our friends and allies around the world that we depend upon are going to lack confidence in us,” and then offered a blunt criticism of the current administration’s response to foreign policy challenges.

Read more at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/former-vice-president-cheney-challenges-pence-on-trumps-foreign-policy/2019/03/11/ecddbff6-4436-11e9-aaf8-4512a6fe3439_story.html?utm_term=.cbdec5b2debb

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Cheney respectfully but repeatedly and firmly pressed Pence

So they wanted to spoon each other according to the WOPO?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline mountaineer

Ooh, a WashPoo story!
Never mind.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline TomSea

Now, I see others have the story but I don't know if that was so when I first posted it. We want to get timely news. breeaking news. New news.

https://www.newsweek.com/dick-cheney-told-mike-pence-trump-administration-looks-lot-more-barack-obama-1359260
Okay, say the same on newsweek.

https://theweek.com/speedreads/828524/cheney-tells-pence-trumps-foreign-policy-more-like-barack-obama-than-ronald-reagan
Takes from Wapo.

I won't even post Raw story, I think that's a clearly leftist website, sometimes you go with the source you have.

A pretty significant story and btw, a lot of places will probably publish it at their website... you might not know it's WaPo unless you look. I think one can often separate stories from the editorial board.

Some might actually be concerned with the significance of this story.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 12:23:57 am by TomSea »

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Some might actually be concerned with the significance of this story.

When "significance" happens.  Post it. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@TomSea

I liked the article, thanks for posting it!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
transcript obtained by The Washington Post.

At the closed-door retreat

Did Cheney and Pence know that their words, would take "transcript" form, and be "obtained?"

I would like to just read or listen to the transcript.

I do not dislike Cheney. In my family there was pride a WY guy got that power, position influence.

I think as Sec. Def. under BushII with Iraq-I, they did well.

I think later under Bush II they made a mess of the Sept. 11 reaction, failing to turn Afghanistan into a nuclear parking lot, then going back into Iraq-II.

Just my take.

Since the Bush family is severely #nevertrump, pro-amnesty I expect Cheney would follow suit with them, etc.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline LegalAmerican

Well he's wrong and senile now.  Just like Carter close to 100 years old, want's to "HELP" president TRUMP talk to No. Korea for denuclearization.  They are all delusional. THEY, all,  have the answers...NOW.  lol. Why are so many people anti-American ?   

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline LegalAmerican

@TomSea

I liked the article, thanks for posting it!

WASHINGTON..POO?   The biggest , lying, left,,,mag?   That one?  That is the one the muslim journalist wrote for, who has dual citizenship with America and Saudi Arabia..which  should not be, allowed.  That one murdered by SA. Khan...noggoshi. 

Offline LegalAmerican

transcript obtained by The Washington Post.

At the closed-door retreat

Did Cheney and Pence know that their words, would take "transcript" form, and be "obtained?"

I would like to just read or listen to the transcript.

I do not dislike Cheney. In my family there was pride a WY guy got that power, position influence.

I think as Sec. Def. under BushII with Iraq-I, they did well.

I think later under Bush II they made a mess of the Sept. 11 reaction, failing to turn Afghanistan into a nuclear parking lot, then going back into Iraq-II.

Just my take.

Since the Bush family is severely #nevertrump, pro-amnesty I expect Cheney would follow suit with them, etc.

Right on!  BINGO.   888high58888

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

WASHINGTON..POO?   The biggest , lying, left,,,mag?   That one?  That is the one the muslim journalist wrote for, who has dual citizenship with America and Saudi Arabia..which  should not be, allowed.  That one murdered by SA. Khan...noggoshi.

Disagree.  If we don't read what the other side is writing, we'll just be an echo chamber, leaving our Members unequipped to do intellectual battle.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline verga

Disagree.  If we don't read what the other side is writing, we'll just be an echo chamber, leaving our Members unequipped to do intellectual battle.
EXACTLY, as much as it pains me I occasionally listen to NPR.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline mountaineer

I have no problem reading what the leftist propagandists write, but calling something a news story when nothing about it is verified or confirmed - just anonymous sources - should cause any of us to be skeptical.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I have no problem reading what the leftist propagandists write, but calling something a news story when nothing about it is verified or confirmed - just anonymous sources - should cause any of us to be skeptical.

:thumbsup:

I agree it's likely to be Propaganda, but we still need to see what Propaganda's being fed to the LIVs.  Heck, I'm skeptical of things I read in sources like Brietbart and American Thinker too.
I will NOT comply.

Offline TomSea

Cheney challenges Pence face-to-face over Trump foreign policy

The Washington Post reports that the two clashed at a closed-door retreat hosted by the American Enterprise Institute in Georgia, on subjects including the withdrawal of troops from Syria and the tougher stance taken by the Trump administration toward NATO.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/cheney-reportedly-challenges-pence-over-trump-foreign-policy

See, Fox News is now quoting this story, my apologies that I did not wait until 20 hours later to post.